WD TV Media Player: HD Audio and settings

venkat_83

Hi

I have the latest WD TV Media Player (WDBPUF0000NBK). I have few questions regarding this device.

1. Does this device really support decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA audo?
2. What is the best way to get 5.1 sound output from this device? How do I get HD audio output from this device?
3. Is it possible to connect 5.1 speaker set directly to WD media player through optical connection? If yes, any recommendations on speakers set within 30K?
4. My Samsung H6400 tv does support DTS and Dolby but when I try to enable digital pass through HDMI, the setup recognizes only PCM. What could be the issue?

BTW, is there any dedicated thread for WD TV Media player owners?

Sorry for so many questions. I did not wanted to open multiple threads for related questions.

Thanks,
Venkat

As far as I know it does not support DTS HD MA. I had owned it earlier and sold it later. Not sure if it supports DTS HDMA now. I think you can connect it to your TV using the RCA connector. You would require a proper AMP to get 5.1 audio from WD player. Google and there are lot of threads for WD TV player.

1. WD Player only supports DTS and DD.
2. Best way to get DTS and DD audio is via HDMI to AVR. Set the player to passthrough and let AVR handle the decoding
3. Yes optical works with DD and DTS but with a budget of 30-35K I would suggest either get Onkyo HTS3500 or Yamaha YHT-299 both between 30 and 35K and connect using HDMI cable from WD TV to the AVR and from AVR HDMI out to TV (Display)
4. The source you are trying to play must have English: LPCM 5.1 and hence setup showing PCM. Thats one reason I can think off.

Last edited:
mathan, thanks for the post. Which version/model you had then?

sam9s,
I have some movies which have only either Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-HDMA audio stream (no other audio streams) and the WD player does recognize them properly. Also, I see the Dolby-TrueHD logo on the WD box pack and also is mentioned in the user manual.

And w.r.t the PCM format recognition, I tried the settings with the movies having only HD audio (no multiple audio streams in the source). What else could be the reason for WD recognizing only PCM for my H6400 TV? Is it bcoz WD could not re-encode (downmix) to DTS/DD and the TV does not support HD audio decoding? But here again I played some BD rip source with either DTS or Dolby HD audio and my TV recognized the HD audio stream

btw, Onkyo HTS3500 or Yamaha YHT-299, are these good in terms of audio performance? Basically I am not a big fan of loudness and I rather prefer to have sound quality.

Ok, the link you provided does not show HD Audio listed in specification, just DD and DTS, hence the assumption. (WD TV - Media Player)
Anyway even if this model does HD Audio, point 2 and 3, still remains valid, you have to have a receiver (AVR) in order to get surround sound.

Onkyo and Yamaha are pretty decent for the price they are offered. Better to take an audition and judge/decide yourself. I once had Onkyo HTS6400 and it was pretty decent.

mathan, thanks for the post. Which version/model you had then?

sam9s,
I have some movies which have only either Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-HDMA audio stream (no other audio streams) and the WD player does recognize them properly. Also, I see the Dolby-TrueHD logo on the WD box pack and also is mentioned in the user manual.

And w.r.t the PCM format recognition, I tried the settings with the movies having only HD audio (no multiple audio streams in the source). What else could be the reason for WD recognizing only PCM for my H6400 TV? Is it bcoz WD could not re-encode (downmix) to DTS/DD and the TV does not support HD audio decoding? But here again I played some BD rip source with either DTS or Dolby HD audio and my TV recognized the HD audio stream

btw, Onkyo HTS3500 or Yamaha YHT-299, are these good in terms of audio performance? Basically I am not a big fan of loudness and I rather prefer to have sound quality.

I had a first gen WD player and it did support dolby truhd and not DTSHDMA. It supported both DTS and Dolby 5.1. Onkyo is a decent HTIB. I still have a Onkyo 3300 model and it is good for watching movies but not for music. As Sam mentioned audition and decide.

What is the latest firmware version for WDTV live? My model no is WDBHG70000NBK. I dont know which generation it is. Also it does not play some formats( VP90).

Hi

I have the latest WD TV Media Player (WDBPUF0000NBK). I have few questions regarding this device.

1. Does this device really support decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA audo?
2. What is the best way to get 5.1 sound output from this device? How do I get HD audio output from this device?
3. Is it possible to connect 5.1 speaker set directly to WD media player through optical connection? If yes, any recommendations on speakers set within 30K?
4. My Samsung H6400 tv does support DTS and Dolby but when I try to enable digital pass through HDMI, the setup recognizes only PCM. What could be the issue?

BTW, is there any dedicated thread for WD TV Media player owners?

Sorry for so many questions. I did not wanted to open multiple threads for related questions.

Thanks,
Venkat

Hi,

1. it doesn't decode it only bitstreams the signal for decoding either through optical cable(upto 5.1) or HDMI.

2. The best way is to buy a good AVR with HDMI input which can decode 5.1 and 7.1 audio formats. True HD and Dolby MA have a higher bit rate so HDMI can only carry the signal efficiently. Connect via HDMI to AVR and enjoy the 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

3. Some of the earlier models from JBL came with in built amplifier in a home theatre in a box package, and some soundbars with dolby digital and dts also have optical input.

4. when you try to play the video files directly from the media center in TV, it may not be decoding the formats. try connecting through WD the same file and give optical out to your AVR

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back