Wd tv sq

utkarsh

I have purchased WD TV but later found out that it is generation 1. I'm not satisfied with the sound quality. I want to buy media player which gives DTS 5.1,Dolby Digital sound.
. Everyone talks about PQ of Wd TV what about SQ does Xtreamer has better SQ. Please help
I'm connecting WD TV to my AVR Harman Kardon 133 through optical cable.

Well SQ depends on your AVR.Many dont use stereo out of WD,but optical out which sounds good.

Well SQ depends on your AVR.Many dont use stereo out of WD,but optical out which sounds good.

I'm using optical out for connecting WD to AVR. Does audio SQ depends on chipset. If yes then which is better sigma or realtek?

Hi Utkarsh,
I too have the WDTV, and sorry to say it but Western Digital do not have the licence from Dolby labs. So Dolby Digital and DTS are only pass through, meaning that if you connect it to your TV through the component outputs or HDMI, you will not get any sound. However, if you connect the TOSLINK optical out to a Dolby Digital/DTS compatible receiver you should be able to get sound.
On the other hand, the picture quality is really excellent and I've found that playing BluRay rips is truly excellent and far surpasses anything else. The sound quality too is really great since it plays most available audio formats barring a few. I'm having a bit of trouble playing AC3 and FLAC.
YOu also mentioned that you had generation 1. You could go to the Western Digital website at wdc.com and download the latest firmware for the player. Just make sure you know the exact model you're downloading it for. That should help you.
Another point to note, ensure that you select digital sound output from the setup menu. That will ensure the best sound on your AVR. I myself have the Harman Kardon AVR 130 with excellent results, so you should be able to enjoy it too. And remember, if you are playing MP3s on the system, the sound would be compromised since MP3s are a compressed format. I always try to encode my MP3s at the highest bit rate to ensure minimal loss. Go for something like 192kbps, that's as good as CD quality.
Cheers, enjoy the WDTV. It's worth it!

Nearly all media players use Sigma Designs processors (such as SMP8640) for video processing and DSP (such as TI TMS320DM357) for processing of audio signals. Essentially, all these companies use highly integrated designs that are finalised by third party companies such as Sigma Designs and TI. You will find very little difference in sound (or even video) quality amongst all the media players.

What the media player manufacturers do to differentiate themselves is in support of formats, pricing, UI, size and pricing. I have auditioned units from WD, TViX, and Dune. They all deliver nearly identical quality.

Please remember, the media player is a convenience device. The minute they start fooling around with sound and video quality, they will price themselves out of the market. You will not find any media player claiming superior quality in video or sound.

The best is to always take the digital out, and get an external processor to process the sound. In addition, as much as possible, use uncompressed formats for music or formats such as FLAC that deliver 100% of the original recording.

Cheers

Hi Utkarsh,
I too have the WDTV, and sorry to say it but Western Digital do not have the licence from Dolby labs. So Dolby Digital and DTS are only pass through, meaning that if you connect it to your TV through the component outputs or HDMI, you will not get any sound. However, if you connect the TOSLINK optical out to a Dolby Digital/DTS compatible receiver you should be able to get sound.

You sure what you are saying!!!!........passthrough has nothing to so with component or HDMI................ passthrough means that WD chipset is not Decoading the DD and DTS source, instead passes through to the AVR and AVR has to process it, so if its connected with HDMI to the AVR, you would get proper DD and DTS sound..........., same is with Optical.

And there is virtualy no difference between Sigma and Realtek chips AFA SQ goes. I have both WD TV and AC Ryan POHD and there is not even a slighest difference in the sound quality. Yes there might be...... if too high end AVR and Spks are used, but for HTiBss there is no noticible difference.............

Sam: Beta is saying that same thing you said. He also meant if you want DTS or DD connect WD TV to AVR via Toslink.

Utkarsh: The SQ of WD TV is good no problems, ensure your settings in AVR is good. Infact, I use FLAC from WD feeding my DacMagic for stereo and its as good as my CD 63

Sam: Beta is saying that same thing you said. He also meant if you want DTS or DD connect WD TV to AVR via Toslink.

Utkarsh: The SQ of WD TV is good no problems, ensure your settings in AVR is good. Infact, I use FLAC from WD feeding my DacMagic for stereo and its as good as my CD 63

only pass through, meaning that if you connect it to your TV through the component outputs or HDMI, you will not get any sound. However, if you connect the TOSLINK optical out to a Dolby Digital/DTS compatible receiver you should be able to get sound

This statement does not seems though. Maybe I miss interpretted. Apologies to Beta is we are on the same page......

I have purchased WD TV but later found out that it is generation 1. I'm not satisfied with the sound quality. I want to buy media player which gives DTS 5.1,Dolby Digital sound.
. Everyone talks about PQ of Wd TV what about SQ does Xtreamer has better SQ. Please help
I'm connecting WD TV to my AVR Harman Kardon 133 through optical cable.

1) to do have movie rips with dd 0r dts encoded?
2) have you set up your avr correctly?
3) is your wd audio output is digital?
)

1) to do have movie rips with dd 0r dts encoded?
2) have you set up your avr correctly?
3) is your wd audio output is digital?
)

All the 3 question answers are yes.
I think the problem is that i'm comparing the SQ that i heard during the demo of my AVR.

which avr and speakers are you using?
have you connected your avr with optical cable?
also is dts ,dd indictor light up when respective files played bdtv?y your w

Hi Utkarsh,
As Hemant has pointed out, you probably have to adjust your AVR speaker setup and surround modes. The sound quality on the WDTV is excellent, no doubts on that provided you configure the WDTV audio output to digital and use the optical out. Also make sure you're using a good quality optical cable not more than 1.5m long because a poor quality one or a longer one could introduce jitter in the signal.
I connect mine to my TV via HDMI and to my AVR through the optical out. A good tip for you, since the WDTV doesn't process Dolby Digital and DTS (being only pass through) sometimes certain files don't play audio. What I do is keep the same connections but change the audio out on the WDTV to the setting other than digital for playback of that file. It's not the same effect but at least the audio works. Worst case scenario, you could use a software like "Any Video Converter" to re-encode the file for playback. Certain files using AC3 or AAC audio may have playback difficulties and may require re-encoding. I also use "MKV Merge" to re-encode audio only on MKV files to one that is playable on the WDTV.
As you mentioned before, the poor SQ during the demo of your AVR could be a result of poor quality encoding of the files being played. It's quite common for downloaded MP3s to be of lower bit rates (96kbps or so). Best way to check is to rip one of your favourite CDs using iTunes at 192kbps and see.

Hi Utkarsh,
As Hemant has pointed out, you probably have to adjust your AVR speaker setup and surround modes. The sound quality on the WDTV is excellent, no doubts on that provided you configure the WDTV audio output to digital and use the optical out. Also make sure you're using a good quality optical cable not more than 1.5m long because a poor quality one or a longer one could introduce jitter in the signal.
I connect mine to my TV via HDMI and to my AVR through the optical out. A good tip for you, since the WDTV doesn't process Dolby Digital and DTS (being only pass through) sometimes certain files don't play audio. What I do is keep the same connections but change the audio out on the WDTV to the setting other than digital for playback of that file. It's not the same effect but at least the audio works. Worst case scenario, you could use a software like "Any Video Converter" to re-encode the file for playback. Certain files using AC3 or AAC audio may have playback difficulties and may require re-encoding. I also use "MKV Merge" to re-encode audio only on MKV files to one that is playable on the WDTV.
As you mentioned before, the poor SQ during the demo of your AVR could be a result of poor quality encoding of the files being played. It's quite common for downloaded MP3s to be of lower bit rates (96kbps or so). Best way to check is to rip one of your favourite CDs using iTunes at 192kbps and see.

Thanks for MKV Merge i needed it badly.
I played Dolby Digital movie and TrueHD Demo files which sounded excellent.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back