WDTV with CRT TV

jayantadak

Hi,

Would our forum members pl let me know whether

1) we can play WDTV live with a CRT TV. I have a Sony 29" CRT TV. I have doubts whether the WDTV supports only the LCD / PLASMA TV's or it can be hooked to our good old CRT TV's as well.

2) Also I am curious about the 'WDTV live plus' version. It says it plays Netflix and have navigation menus. I don't think 'Netflix' is any use as of today in Inida, it caters only the US.

3) As regards the navigational menus, please correct me if I am wrong, that by using the navigation menus we can have access to 'go to scenes', ' go to director's commentary' or other 'bonus' material which we find on our DVD discs. So is it that this simple function is not available in the WDTV live version? If so, then just to use the DVD menu functions it is imperative to buy the WDTV LIVE PLUS instead of the WDTV LIVE (Keeping in mind that NETFLIX is useless for us).

An early reply would be appreciated

JAYANT ADAK,
Mumbai

1) we can play WDTV live with a CRT TV. I have a Sony 29" CRT TV. I have doubts whether the WDTV supports only the LCD / PLASMA TV's or it can be hooked to our good old CRT TV's as well.
WD Live worked without any issues on 2 CRTs that I have tried it on.

3) As regards the navigational menus, please correct me if I am wrong, that by using the navigation menus we can have access to 'go to scenes', ' go to director's commentary' or other 'bonus' material which we find on our DVD discs. So is it that this simple function is not available in the WDTV live version? If so, then just to use the DVD menu functions it is imperative to buy the WDTV LIVE PLUS instead of the WDTV LIVE (Keeping in mind that NETFLIX is useless for us).
While the current firmware for WD Live does not support navigating DVD menus, I believe the pre-release beta under test 1.03.22 has DVD menu support. See firmware release notes for details. Hence I think WD Live should suffice.

Regarding 1st question-

YES WD TV can be connceted to CRT Tv. BUT I wasnt happy with the quality to say the least. I bought WD TV so that I can watch movies without any hassle on the 21" CRT which I had in my room. But when I connected it the quality was poor with many lines. Also the size of subtitles even at maximum value is too small for a 21" tv. Maybe it will be OK for a 29" tv.

So I guess I didnt watch even a single movie on CRT as the quality for me was unacceptable. I waited for some time and now have connected it to LCD to watch movies.

I use WD TV Live on a Panasonic 29" CRT and the picture quality is good using composite inputs. However if you plan to use component out for your CRT just know that WDTV Live has problems displaying content in 576i (or any interlaced resolution I believe). The settings menu has just the progressive scan options, no interlaced.

I use WD TV Live on a Panasonic 29" CRT and the picture quality is good using composite inputs. However if you plan to use component out for your CRT just know that WDTV Live has problems displaying content in 576i (or any interlaced resolution I believe). The settings menu has just the progressive scan options, no interlaced.

Hi,

I have Samsung 29" TV which as per manual supports PAL 576ix50 and NTSC 480i/60. I know WD TV Live does not support PAL 576i over component neither in official firmware nor in b-rad firmware. So Just curious have you tried 480i by turning your TV to accept NTSC signal?

I am considering purchasing WD TV Live, and to be NOT able to play component on to my CRT 29" makes me concerned.

Appreciate if you could answer.

Thanks in advance

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back