Well Recorded Rock Music

May I suggest some Tool? Danny Carey (drummer) has a really open sound to his kit as opposed to the usual tight, constrained sound heard in rock/metal. I like the mix on almost all their albums equally. They avoid the loudness wars and use a dynamic mix that is reminiscent of old-school prog rock

Yes, I agree. Considering the multi-layered music that Tool produces, the recordings are especially good (and need to be good to appreciate the nuances and various background musical elements). However, Tool's music, or at least some songs, may be a little harsh for some people. They tend to wildly fluctuate between extremely melodic, deep, and multi-layered songs and thrash metal! Nonetheless, the recordings, except for their first live album, is usually very good.

Some similar recordings (of a more mellow nature) that I felt were well done are:
1. A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step (Thirteenth Step - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
2. A Perfect Circle - Emotive (Emotive (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
3. Opeth - Damnation (Damnation (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Another genre of music that is extremely multi-layered, is very melodic and musical, and should bring out the best in many music systems is post-rock. Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions In The Sky, This Will Destroy You are a few examples.

Edit: APC's Emotive is one of the absolute best remix albums that I have heard. I actually feel that they have improved on many of the original songs in their remixes, and given it a completely new dimension in their rendition. Don't want to flame anyone so you can ignore my previous statement as far as "Imagine" is concerned, as I'm sure a few people will be passionate about this song :)

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Considering the multi-layered music that Tool produces, the recordings are especially good (and need to be good to appreciate the nuances and various background).

Some similar recordings that I felt were well done are:
1. A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step (Thirteenth Step - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
2. A Perfect Circle - Emotive (Emotive (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
3. Opeth - Damnation (Damnation (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Seems interesting. Sounds as though you might like Liquid Tension Experiment.

That's the first mistake a rock listener does... goes for the critical and commercial success stories. Start with a really big album, or start with an album that has a great drum solo. (that usually gets the rockers going, doesn't it?) Duke Ellington-Live in Seattle 1952, Live at Newport 1956, Herbie Hancock-Empyrean Isles, Chet Baker & Gerry Mulligan-Live at Carnegie Hall, Herbie Hancock and Jaco Pastorius-Live, Tower of Power-Some Albums, Bloomfield, Kooper and Stills-Super Sessions, Blood Sweat and Tears-first 3-4 albums, Chicago-early albums

I'd add this to the list:

61B6e-SkJ1L._SS500_.jpg

A sure-fire way to make someone hate Jazz is to start them on this one:

41V2819P8DL._SS500_.jpg

I started listening to a lot of Jazz after I started attending live concerts. Helped me 'get' it, I suppose...

61B6e-SkJ1L._SS500_.jpg

41V2819P8DL._SS500_.jpg

I started listening to a lot of Jazz after I started attending live concerts. Helped me 'get' it, I suppose...

+1 on that. I always though that Take Five was overrated, as was Bitches Brew, as is Bob Dylan, as is Hotel California, as is G'n'R and many more. Coltrane Impressions is also a sure-fire way to make someone hate jazz. I know that I still don't get that album. I just switch off when it comes on.

Heck there are other fantastic Coltrane albums out there. Standards, Plays for Lovers, With Ellington.....

But wait a minute, I thought this was a rock music thread.

FinylVinyl,

Just curious about your system.

Custom Philips driven speakers ? Are these custom made with philips drivers ?

FinylVinyl,

Just curious about your system.

Custom Philips driven speakers ? Are these custom made with philips drivers ?

To be honest, they're Dutch Philips drivers mounted in old Arphi cabinets. Just mounted an Shure 97 cartridge on my SME3009 arm with a Garrard 401 and it has exposed the limitations of the speakers. I bought the drivers in Delhi in 2002. And they've been through hell as far as moving is concerned. And then kids playing Disney movies. Looking for new speakers now

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged is one of my favourite LIVE rock recordings.

Recent addition to my favourites: Steely Dan's "The very best of steely dan".
This is one hell of a recording.

PS: Psychotropic this would interest you because Donald fagen partners with Becker in this album.

Doesn't Fagen partner Becker in all of the Dan albums???:lol:

To be honest, they're Dutch Philips drivers mounted in old Arphi cabinets. Just mounted an Shure 97 cartridge on my SME3009 arm with a Garrard 401 and it has exposed the limitations of the speakers. I bought the drivers in Delhi in 2002. And they've been through hell as far as moving is concerned. And then kids playing Disney movies. Looking for new speakers now

Great.
Yup the speakers will have to go. The sonodyne too while you are at it.:eek: The Akai spool player must be fun !

The Gerrad and SME deserves something much better !;)

Im not an avid fan,but if you want a song to make good kit sing try OCEAN COLOUR SCENES The Riverboat song!if you have decent musical speakers & a good amp:This tune RAAAAWKS!!:yahoo:

oh i love the band.....didn't know their stuff was well recorded though, don't anything on CD. Must pick it up.

Im not an avid fan,but if you want a song to make good kit sing try OCEAN COLOUR SCENES The Riverboat song!if you have decent musical speakers & a good amp:This tune RAAAAWKS!!:yahoo:

61B6e-SkJ1L._SS500_.jpg

41V2819P8DL._SS500_.jpg

Off topic, I know :). But grubyhalo what would you recommend for somebody who wants to know what Jazz is about?

Off topic, I know :). But grubyhalo what would you recommend for somebody who wants to know what Jazz is about?

I started listening to Steely Dan, which pushed me into discovering Jazz. Having had the opportunity to enjoy a lot of live Jazz concerts surely helped as well. I'll try going through my collection and send you a few recommendations which I think would be easily 'accessible'...

P.S: I should probably add the caveat that my Jazz knowledge falls into 2 distinct categories: 1. Sounds good, 2. Doesn't sound good. :)

Last edited:
I started listening to Steely Dan, which pushed me into discovering Jazz. Having had the opportunity to enjoy a lot of live Jazz concerts surely helped as well. I'll try going through my collection and send you a few recommendations which I think would be easily 'accessible'...

P.S: I should probably add the caveat that my Jazz knowledge falls into 2 distinct categories: 1. Sounds good, 2. Doesn't sound good. :)

Thanks grubyhalo - Viren had sent me one Jazz CD which I really liked - Bon Voyage by Tyner Trio and there is always Take Five which I like.

Really the only sounds I dont get is when the sax goes off key, off pitch, pretty much off everything to my ears. I am left stranded to understand why exactly they go that way when the sax was sounding rich, textured and measured all the way through. Perhaps I am missing something essential in Jazz?...

hehe, from what i understand that is the essence of jazz, this 'improvisation' and being non-linear and non-orderly is what separates jazz from other forms of music. That's precisely the bit that I don't get. I have a jazz compilation called "chaos out of order", and that name captures the essence of jazz, it's an attempt to be chaotic and unfetterred and free and to take the music in directions that are non-intuitive, non-logical and non-systematic. And when every instrumentalist in an ensemble is being unfetterred and free and taking his instrument in its own direction (with no regard even to modes, forget chords or scales, and no regard to what the other instrumentalists are doing) it results in the cacophony otherwise known as "free jazz" :)

It is of course easier to appreciate something that is orderly, which is why jazz is a niche area of music, and free jazz even more niche than that (and which is also why the jazz fans can sometimes get self-righteous and snooty ;) )

It's somewhat like the difference between commercial cinema and 'art' cinema, especially art cinema of the Iranian minimalist variety where they will show the same thing (maybe even a blank screen) for half an hour and expect the 'aficianados' to go 'oooh' 'ah' and so on.

Of course, I'll keep listening to jazz to see if it ever strikes a chord, but at no point of time do i feel, or will i feel, any poorer for not enjoying it, when there's a wealth of other excellent musical genres and compositions therein. And among the snooty genres I vastly prefer Western classical.

Really the only sounds I dont get is when the sax goes off key, off pitch, pretty much off everything to my ears. I am left stranded to understand why exactly they go that way when the sax was sounding rich, textured and measured all the way through. Perhaps I am missing something essential in Jazz?...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back