• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Western Classical Music

Wharfedale EVO4.1 Bookshelf Speakers

jls001

Richard Strauss' other tone poems are also worthy of serious discovery. Also Sprach Zarathustra, Don Juan, Alpine Symphony, etc.

skroderider

Deutsche Grammophon has opened up some of their Western Classical (video) recordings online for free (not sure for how long though)

skroderider

... Ahhh, a lot of getting up to change sides! ;)

But I wish my half-century-old classical vinyl was still playable. Sadly, due to youth, ceramic cartridges and, probably, blunt styli, it is not.

I doubt that I'll build either a vinyl or a CD collection of W classical ever again, but, I have (with recent reawakening of enjoyment) bought some FLAC downloads from eclassical.com. High res available, too.

No need to understand it. Just enjoy.

Actually, that's my approach to music in general :)

If you do want to understand more, there is a wonderful series of lectures, which I learnt about here on HFV...

Prof Craig Wright,Yale University, Listening to Music.

...Brilliant, and thoroughly enjoyable.

There is a Coursera (free) version of Prof. Wright's course now - I completed it last year. As you said, it's a delight. One of best online courses I have done - https://www.coursera.org/learn/introclassicalmusic/

Lizard King

one of my favourites too. was wondering how nobody had mentioned it yet until i saw your post :D
Vivaldi's Quattro Stagioni can indeed be a stepping stone to Western Classical for a novice, and then continue to be a favorite forever.

Here is one of my favorite versions, conducted by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert, Simon Standage doing the honors on violin.
Although you cannot go wrong with the 4 Seasons. I have a total 7 versions of them on physical media :)

Lizard King

Mahler was not even 30 when he composed Titan. Sign of what the word "Mahlerian" would stand to mean. Gigantic, ponderous, deep, and profound. Yet earthy. It's still possibly the most accessible Mahler.
And yes, it will test your $6000 hifi system to its limits. Hell Yeah.

If the 1st Symphony is a elaborate Roman feast, its 2nd movement, 'Hunter's Funeral' is the 'antipasto', the easily digestible appetite stimulant. The 'McMahler', if ever the was one.

Lizard King

All Mahler leaves you spellbound.

I just recovered enough to reflect upon the fact that when Claudio Abbado was conducting his band of young genius musicians, he was terminal with stomach cancer. Multiple surgeries had left him without a way to eat normally. He was in constant pain, and a rubber tube hidden under his clothes that poured food directly into his intestine.

A whole lifetime of tribute is not enough for his talent/contribution.