Western Digital Storage Disc

sjith

What is the difference between these four external hard discs.

I am looking for 1 tb portable with a password protection for personal data storage
and
another 3 or 4 tb for storing av media files which will be connected to wdtv player or a laptop

1. Portable hard disc like elements, essential, ultra
2. My Book with usb 3 connection
3. My Book Live with ethernet connection
4. My Cloud Storage with ethernet connection

AFAIK I and 2 are similar, both have USB interfaces, nowadays most drives offer USB 3.0, which is much faster, unlike the past. The only difference between a portable and regular drive is the form factor-one is 2.5 inch and the other is a 3.5 inch HDD.

I dont know about the other two, surely Google will tell you more.

What is the difference between these four external hard discs.

I am looking for 1 tb portable with a password protection for personal data storage
and
another 3 or 4 tb for storing av media files which will be connected to wdtv player or a laptop

1. Portable hard disc like elements, essential, ultra
2. My Book with usb 3 connection
3. My Book Live with ethernet connection
4. My Cloud Storage with ethernet connection

I think 1 and 2 are essentially the same except that the 2 should come with a backup software.
3 and 4 are again similar and will act as NAS (network attached storage when connected over the LAN to your router) except I think that 4 comes with added feature of storage in the cloud (a limited space that the HDD company will provide)

I think 1 and 2 are essentially the same except that the 2 should come with a backup software.
3 and 4 are again similar and will act as NAS (network attached storage when connected over the LAN to your router) except I think that 4 comes with added feature of storage in the cloud (a limited space that the HDD company will provide)

It's cloud base( no limited space )if u buy 2TB u get 2TB personal cloud which u can access from anywhere through their wd application I am using it.if you are transferring file from u r desktop to cloud then transfer speed will be depends on u r wifi speed.if u are going to use as NAS device and no access from outside than its better to go for regular NAS HDD. Secondly the technical support on this product is pathetic . I feel this product is not good for Indian market .

It's cloud base( no limited space )if u buy 2TB u get 2TB personal cloud which u can access from anywhere through their wd application I am using it.if you are transferring file from u r desktop to cloud then transfer speed will be depends on u r wifi speed.if u are going to use as NAS device and no access from outside than its better to go for regular NAS HDD. Secondly the technical support on this product is pathetic . I feel this product is not good for Indian market .

When I said limited I meant it is not unlimited :)

thanks georgeO, manniraj nad poppy

its possible to play files inside the nas (4 & 5) by "wdtv" or we need a pc to access

Last edited:
So the meaning is
for no.3, pc required only to load the files into hdd
and playing possible by connecting a wdtv with rj45 lan port
correct or wrong

Last edited:
So the meaning is
for no.3, pc required only to load the files into hdd

To load files onto the HDD, pc would be needed for all of the models.
However once it is hooked up to your n/w , yes you can copy files from any device that is on the same network.
Could be from a PC, smartphone, tablet etc..

So the meaning is
..and playing possible by connecting a wdtv with rj45 lan port
correct or wrong

You cannot connect the WDTV rj45 port and the HDD rj45 port directly.
You need a router in between.
WDTV > Router
HDD > Router
Now the WDTV can access all the content on the HDD.
Or
via USB you can directly connect the WDTV to the HDD i.e. if the HDD model has a USB port also.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back