Whammy - Head Phone amp build

rajan-

I finally had to build a Headphone amp. Its been a long time coming.

Chewed over this one for a while. finally the urge to make one won over buying an off the shelf product.
Although I seriously contemplated a burson audio (being local to Melbourne) head phone amp before going for this.
The plan was, if I didnt like, it, there are always 2 other eager users at home who will happily take it to their desk.

Did some minor additions:
1) Installed a set of Pre amp outs, with a simple protection circuit.
The connection to the pre-outs are from the head phone connector.

2) tweaked the power on LED brightness to my liking. its 20K resistor in between LED and last capacitor on the filter bank.

Other than these, no other mods (not yet)

My current head phone is, ... well, I dont have one.

So looked around the house, and thought I will give my sons Audio Technica ATH M20X.
He has played this for over several hundred hours, as this does electronics drum duty for his daily practice. its well and truly burned-in.

I didn't have any clue to whats coming. the BASS. phew. not the crappy bass, real, good bass.
and that body you didn't realise the same songs had in them, which was let loose.

the control / body and be there atmosphere is staggering. I cant wait to try some decent phones, May a focal or planar magnetic.

Bonus: It works very very good as a pre-amp.

the next upgrade for this will be a Burson Audio discreet Opamp.

Anyone here has any experience on Whammy ?

what they liked on Whammy ?
what kind of Opamp suggestions ?
Headphones that are known to work very well.

This Amp is a keeper.

20211228_183750.jpg

Attachments

• 20211228_183727.jpg
    20211228_183727.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20211228_201237.jpg
    20211228_201237.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20211228_184935.jpg
    20211228_184935.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 45
I have been quietly enjoying this on my work desk for the last few months.

time to upgrade.

A burson Audio V6 Classic, discreet opamp is in the mail. This is a blind buy, never had a chance to listen to a discreet opamp.
This is a very popular mod for cheap headphone amps like the douk to make it sound much better.

A burson Audio V6 Classic, discreet opamp is in the mail. This is a blind buy, never had a chance to listen to a discreet opamp.
Congratulations .

I have Burson V5 taller opamp and it sounds much better as pre. Also have earlier version which sounds little bigger and laid back.

Just want to know which is that Blue Transformer?

Congratulations .

I have Burson V5 taller opamp and it sounds much better as pre. Also have earlier version which sounds little bigger and laid back.

Just want to know which is that Blue Transformer?

This HP Amp is already a pretty good Pre-amp for my system.
I slide this in once in a while, just for a change.

which pre-amp are you using for the Burson V5 ?

The transformer is a talema 70064k

Installed the Burson Audio Classic V6, discreet op amp.

this is a pricey upgrade from the original JRC4580 Op amp that came along with the kit.

Initial first 30 Mins observations, Bass is yet to be opened up, but when the source material is good, its much more engaging. Its not tube sound, there is not such warm and fuzzy like a tube.

it clearly not masking any bad recordings. its not un listenable, but it shows the difference between a good and bad recording much more than the 4580 did.

Question: to have a good burn-in for the opamp, do I need to keep playing any material or, just keep the amp switched on ?

another observation was that with the 4580 the Headphone was dead silent, but with this, I could hear some noise. Initially I thought I got a bad Op-amp. this is not the grounding issue. after working through to find the culprit, it turns out that the issue is only there with the ATH-M20x head phone. if I use any other earphone or head phone, its simply not there.
Learning is that don't always suspect the amp. check it with more than one type of head phones.

Also took the opportunity of opening the chassis to sort out some other humming. The kind of humming that occurs when you touch the Volume knob. I could hear some radio station when touching the volume knob. The anodised front plate was not allowing the Volume Pot body to make an earth. a small wire to a chassis ground solved that issue.

Attachments

• Burson V6 classic 1-1.jpg
    Burson V6 classic 1-1.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Burson V6 classic 2 -2.jpg
    Burson V6 classic 2 -2.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 11
Question: to have a good burn-in for the opamp, do I need to keep playing any material or, just keep the amp switched on ?
Nothing will be flowing through the op-amp without music. If you have dummy 8 ohms load, one can use that instead of the speakers.

I have been playing long whiskey blues playlists from youtube and drinking some matching bourbon...

close to 24 hour burn-in, and big difference in Sound levels, especially bass. Loving this...
I never used to listen to music on my desk, while working/browsing. Now I can understand why some people setup personal listening systems for work desk.

I am not able to go back to ear phones ... just impossible.

Didn't yet get a chance to try this on my main system, as a preamp feeding the pair of ACAs. as the house is undergoing Reno, the main system is all dismantled.

This Whammy will most likely end up on my daughter's desk, as a surprise birthday gift.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back