wharfedale 220 replacement suggestion

vkhandelwal

mid driver of one speaker has gone faulty and is activating the speaker protection of the amp when turning the volume up
I have marantz pm 7004 stereo amp. What are the options i should be looking for ? Looking for warm sounding speakers with clarity and seperation

mid driver of one speaker has gone faulty and is activating the speaker protection of the amp when turning the volume up
I have marantz pm 7004 stereo amp. What are the options i should be looking for ? Looking for warm sounding speakers with clarity and seperation
Budget?

For now you can possibly get a replacement driver and use the speakers, check with authorised service center, cost can be anything from 3k to 5k.

If you are looking at new speakers, you need to mention how much you want to spend? Also if open to pre owned, see the Sale section and OLX.

You can get a replacement driver from HiFimart. Contact them with the driver model number.

If you have been using the speakers for some time, think of this as an opportunity to upgrade :)

One of your choices...

Thanks for all replies
Had purchased pair from hifimart itself. will contact them to see if they can send a replacement driver.
Can this behaviour also be due to faulty crossover in the speaker (if there is any )?
I was fine with the performance of wharfedale so if it could be repaired i would stick with it, if not then looking for something in the similar range or bit higher
20-30k probably

Can this behaviour also be due to faulty crossover in the speaker (if there is any )?
I was fine with the performance of wharfedale so if it could be repaired i would stick with it,
Usually Voice coils being thin wire and overdriven with sustained high input the lamination of coils burn and shorts the coil. Regarding crossovers it depends on crossover design. If the midrange is somehow has parallel resistorto the midrange speaker (required by the crossover design) and that resistor has shorted the then it will show short.
turning the volume upI have marantz pm 7004 stereo amp.
I would not do that repeatedly. It is good that marantz may have robust speaker protection but why take chances (Once you know problem is in speaker) If unlucky speaker protection will not work and blow the transisotr or amp circuit.

If speakers are not in warranty first check the midrange driver (Short/open) by removing crossover connected.

Regards.

Usually Voice coils being thin wire and overdriven with sustained high input the lamination of coils burn and shorts the coil. Regarding crossovers it depends on crossover design. If the midrange is somehow has parallel resistorto the midrange speaker (required by the crossover design) and that resistor has shorted the then it will show short.

I would not do that repeatedly. It is good that marantz may have robust speaker protection but why take chances (Once you know problem is in speaker) If unlucky speaker protection will not work and blow the transisotr or amp circuit.

If speakers are not in warranty first check the midrange driver (Short/open) by removing crossover connected.

Regards.
Dear Hiten
Have already tested . As the speakers support bi-amp connection. Have tried drivers separately no problem with high range drivers. It is only when mid range are connected that the amp protection turns on

Hi,
even with biamp the signal passes through internal crossover with only midrange crossover part taking signal. I am not saying you are wrong, just confirm if crossover is ok. It may not have a parallel resistor also. I am just guessing just to be sure.

Hi,
even with biamp the signal passes through internal crossover with only midrange crossover part taking signal. I am not saying you are wrong, just confirm if crossover is ok. It may not have a parallel resistor also. I am just guessing just to be sure.
Thanks hiten . Appreciate your help. What is the way to check the crossover ? I belive i will have to remove the speaker to get access to crossover circuit
Also trying to connect hifimart to see what their suggestion is ?

Yes first check with Hifimart. I checked online the crossover of 220. here is the link
Wharfedale 220
Looks like lots of resistor and caps. Probably to equalize levels and crossover order. After running all options and in future if you plan to carefully open it. you just have to disconnect one single wire (Shown in the link Red or Black and LF+ and LF - marked on PCB) and measure if midrange driver is short or not.
Regards

Thanks hiten . Appreciate your help. What is the way to check the crossover ? I belive i will have to remove the speaker to get access to crossover circuit
Also trying to connect hifimart to see what their suggestion is ?

Hi.

Fyi - I used to have a pair of Diamond 220s, and blew a driver (played too loud at a party).

I bought a replacement driver from HiFimart (I had bought the speakers from them).
Was very easy to replace the driver in the speaker.

Speaker worked perfectly after that.

So I would suggest that you go ahead and try.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back