Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 vs Jamo 606

Sumain

Hi All,

Please help me decide on my front speakers.

Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s or Jamo 606?

My application is 80% music and 20% movies.

Also, which subwoofer? Centre and surrounds?

Please suggest any other brand in the above price range I should consider.

Cheers

Sumain

Wharfedale Diamond 9.5
The good: Beautifully built, curvy tower speaker; 6.5-inch woofer; 6.5-inch midrange; 1-inch tweeter; all-metal biwire connectors.it's just a 6.5-inch woofer, but it sounds like an 8-inch woofer.

Mandeep, thanks for your reply.

Which one will sound better for music? For movies?

Which subwoofer should I get?

Sumain

Hi Mandeep,

I am leaning towards the Wharfedales.

Which receiver should I team them up with? Choices are:

1. Denon 1508
2. Marantz 4002
3. Yamaha (which model?)
4. any other?

The Wharfedale dealer says the Wharfedale speakers work best with the Marantz amplifier. However, that may just be a sales pitch, since he sells the Marantz amp.

Is the Denon 1508 good enough? It is 75W per channel x 8 ohms. The Marantz is 90 W per channel x 8 ohms. My room size is 12 x 16 ft. The Denon is of course cheaper.

Sumain

dear sumain

I have a dealer in CHANDIGARH by the name "MELODY HOUSE" IN SEC-17.
he sells yamaha amp with whafedales(for the past so many years) and they sound very nice together, i took a demo once(infact i am also in the process for buying floorstanders, but havn't demoed any other speakers as yet).

but u should listen to the sound yourself( and follow this link PROFX - Advanced Audio Solutions) of marantz and wharfedale combo...

My personal advise to u is that now that we are entering high-def(HD) era u should also check ONKYO 605 reciever and consider KEF 5.1 package with them KEF speakers sound very nice with them(as i have heard from a lot of people).

buying any other non-high def models for amp does not sound good

Last edited:
hey there was no closure on which would be the right choice of the two - Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 or Jamo 606?

Hi Mandeep,

I am leaning towards the Wharfedales.

Which receiver should I team them up with? Choices are:

1. Denon 1508
2. Marantz 4002
3. Yamaha (which model?)
4. any other?

The Wharfedale dealer says the Wharfedale speakers work best with the Marantz amplifier. However, that may just be a sales pitch, since he sells the Marantz amp.

Is the Denon 1508 good enough? It is 75W per channel x 8 ohms. The Marantz is 90 W per channel x 8 ohms. My room size is 12 x 16 ft. The Denon is of course cheaper.

Sumain

Either the Marantz or Yamaha receivers paired to Wharfedales will sound good. I have a Yamaha RXV661 with Wharfedale 9.5, 9CC, SW150, WH-2 and am pretty happy with this setup.

The Wharfedales are warm speakers, so the Yamaha compensates by adding some brightness to the music. I havent heard a Marantz with the Wharfedales.

Generically speaking the Marantz receivers are better for Music.

cheers
Srini

Hello

Could you please let me know what are the price ranges in India for these speakers ?

I am also looking for a Jamo / Wharfedale / JBL dealer in Pune or Mumbai -

Thank you.

jb

Hello

Could you please let me know what are the price ranges in India for these speakers ?

I am also looking for a Jamo / Wharfedale / JBL dealer in Pune or Mumbai -

Thank you.

jb

Jamo606 and Wharfedale 9.5 are both around 30000.00 a pair. Wharfedale prices have gone up last month big time.

E-zone is retailing Jamo 606 (2 FS, 2 surround and 1 centre) for about 40K. Wharfedale 9.5 price has gone up to 28.5K for FS only and 9.6 is at 37K for FS only.

I in the mean have decided to take the Wharfedale 9.6 FS / WF DFS surround WF 9.CS centre and couple it with one of the following subs -

1. WF SW-150
2. WF SW-250
3. Polk DSW 600

The WF 9.6 FS go really low, so I guess only the DSW 600 or the SW 250 would do justice and also give a reasonable thump (for the HT) when I want it. Of course I haven;t auditioned the subs yet - only what I understood after reading their specs and reviews.

Planning to audition them in the next couple of days and get them over the weekend.

Placing an order for Denon 2309 today :)

Guys,

Am new on the forum.........

But there is no definitive answer to the Wharfedale 9.5 vs Jamo 606 debate anywhere (or atleast I cant find it) !

I demo-ed the Wharfedales 9.5 & 9.6 and the Jamo as well (though the 9.5s seem better but am not very sure) and intend to order one next week. So any advise would help.

Thanx.

MG

But there is no definitive answer to the Wharfedale 9.5 vs Jamo 606 debate anywhere (or atleast I cant find it) ! I demo-ed the Wharfedales 9.5 & 9.6 and the Jamo as well (though the 9.5s seem better but am not very sure) and intend to order one next week. So any advise would help.
MG

Murali:

Welcome to the forum.

In this same thread I have given a link to a review of the Jamos that I did sometime ago. This review was purely for music.

If you asking whether one brand is better than the other, it will not be right on our part to openly say so unless one of the speakers is downright bad in sound.

The Wharfedales are a popular choice amongst many of us here who use their HT system for both movies and music. A 5.1 set with a Diamond 9.5 or Diamond 9.6 covers all frequencies well and provides ample base for all the thumping you look forward to listening to in movies.

You say you have hear the Diamond 9.5, 9.6, and the Jamo 606, and you found the 9.5 to be best. Ultimately it is you ears that will be best judge. If necessary do another audition with the same music, and reconfirm what your ears tell you.

Is this enough, or are you looking for some more information and, maybe, reassurance?

Cheers

Last edited:
Folks

I am happy to say that I have found a very rare dealer in Pune, who has offered to let me test the speaker(s) of my choice for 24 hrs at my home without any obligation !

As many of you may have already experienced, the sound heard at an dealers shop and that at your own home can be very different and dissapointing: I intend to test the Wharfedales 9.5 and 9.6 , as also a pair of bookshelves. Unfortunately, the Jamo dealer is not willing to let me hear the speakers at my home.

Incidently, I am reluctantly planing to dispose of my Infinity S 306 (FS)- used with geat care - which are physically way too large for my new home here.(I am currently located in Pune).

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I need to demo the Whaferdale diomond 9.5/9.6 in mumbai, where can i get the demo of the same. Also what is the approx price.

Also does it come with a surround package as well or just a pair of floor standing speakers

Hi Guys,

I need to demo the Whaferdale diomond 9.5/9.6 in mumbai, where can i get the demo of the same. Also what is the approx price.

Also does it come with a surround package as well or just a pair of floor standing speakers

I bought my Wharfedale Diamonds from the Delhi dealer - Bass & Treble. (Call Denny at 9999016124). Perhaps he can also help you with the Mumbai number.

Yes, Wharfedale does have a full surround package, which is what I bought (although in parts, because of budget - bought the front floorstanders first, then the surrounds later, and the subwoofer last).

They sound great

Sumain

Hi Sumain,

Which Surround speakers you bought? DFS or 9.x series

I wanted to have 9.1 but someone suggested me to go for DFS series..

Please suggest.

Thanks
Amar

Hi Sumain,

Which Surround speakers you bought? DFS or 9.x series

I wanted to have 9.1 but someone suggested me to go for DFS series..

Please suggest.

Thanks
Amar

For Surrounds.,,, Dipoles are always better than single driver speakers... And 9.DFS are dipoles... they produce better surround sound effects...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back