wharfedale or boston acoustics or Polk

And one more thing, do I need an amplifier as well? Or is it good enough. I may not want to spend on it unless it is an absolute must. Please advise.

The receiver will have an inbuilt amp, so technically speaking you don't really need a separate amp. However some people use separate power amp like the Emotiva xpa-5 if their speakers need that kind of power. Using a separate power amp can mean your speakers can play really loud without distorting. Your receiver will need to have a pre-out to hook up a power amp.
That said, it is hard to say whether your speakers need a separate power amp or your receiver is good enough. If the sensitivity of a speaker is high (like the Polk 440t), you do not need a lot of power to drive them - that is the advantage of high sensitive speakers. This is the reason people tell you to audition the speakers that you want to buy with the receiver you are getting at the volume levels that suits your liking. Since you have a dedicated room (like me), you will want to play movies at reference volumes of 85 db or so. So i suggest you visit a polk dealer (Profx or someone in your city) and audition as per your actual usage scenarios.
As an illustration, my speakers are of 91 db sensitivity and my receiver is a modest one (not very powerful) but i am able to play movies at high volumes in my dedicated room at just about 50% of volume turned up on the receiver (-5 on my receiver where maximum is about +20 i guess)

Last edited:
And should I replace Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker with
Polk Audio FXiA4 Surround Loudspeaker? or it will be a mismatch to the system I've selected?

It'll be used as rear speakers. I do not want to regret later, so trying to get the one I can, but then I also do not want to create acoustic horror after spending soooo much (for a noob like me it is a lot considering the fact that I just wanted to spend aroudn 35K for speakers)

Hi Bikram Singh.

Well it seems you have shortlisted your wish list for the hometheatre...well...personally after visiting ProFX in Mumbai didn't find the Polk speakers punchy..especially the subwoofer p125....Hotel California LIVE was sounding really crap and it was played on a Denon Receiver which was a X1000.

Nowadays, there is so much hype and competition between Yamaha, Denon, Harmon Kardon etc that either they just claim high output...once you cross the halfway mark of the volume..there is no more clarity or punch...just noise and unnecessary use of electric power.....If the speakers you use have a HIGH sensitivity level then even a decent receiver of 50w per channel at 8 ohms (performing from 20hz to 20khz) should work well. See this important link one of our FM posted which is the reality...

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

After 11 years of experience with Denon, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, BOSE etc...I settled for a Marantz last year with Boston Acoustics as I did not have the budget to go for B&W 600 series speakers which I want to in the near future. Marantz has been in the business for more than 50 years focusing on MUSIC first then the other features....there is a decent suite of Music / Movie / Gaming modes with Audyssey setup, Bass + Treble control and even a 9 Band adjustable graphic EQ for each channel....This appealed to me bigtime...I did not rush to buy the Marantz, did a lot of research over the net in terms of reviews, videos on performance. auditioned it etc.....it is indeed true value for money...the NR series is slim in looks too.

Wharfedale has select models which are good. Firstly the AVR needs to deliver all frequencies from 20hz to 20khz..then speakers with HIGH sensitivity need to be selected. The heart of any Home Theatre is the Centre Speaker and the subwoofer...The best subwoofer is supposedly Velodyne ...Impact 12 should be the ultimate experience for anyone.

Boston Acoustics and Cambridge audio are companies who have done research in ensuring that their products deliver what truly any movie or music person wants...all frequencies and clarity....tons of reviews available to support the same...

HifiMart has Bostons...you could possible consider this combo

Bookshelfs
Boston Acoustics A 25 Speaker

Floor Standing fronts
Boston Acoustics A 250 Floorstanding Speaker

Centre
Boston Acoustics A 225C Center Channel Loudspeaker

Subwoofer
Boston Acoustics ASW 650 Subwoofer

The above will definitely satisfy your listening and visual experience...they match with a Marantz NR 1504 AVR...better to go for a 5.1 as most movie / concert etc content available is 5.1.

You could perhaps consider the following packages

A2310HTS
Boston Acoustics A 2310HTS Home Theater Speaker Package

Quad L
Quad L-ite Plus 5.1 Home Theatre speaker system

I use a Marantz NR 1402 with Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 in a 200 sq ft room and it really rocks the place on 40% volume...music movies never sounded so good. I am sure the above recommendations will work better than mine.

End of the day it is what appeals to you and your wallet...

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the link.

Do you think

one should replace Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker with
Polk Audio FXiA4 Surround Loudspeaker? or it will be a mismatch to the system I've selected?

It'll be used as rear speakers
The surrounds you selected should be good enough. If you have the cash and went for a higher series for surrounds, it should not cause any issues with integration but you may not get a lot of benefit for the extra dough you spent. It is important that the LCR must match, surrounds shouldn't be a such a big deal.

It's not a general rule but often you will find lower power amps ( say 50 watts ) with sensitive speakers ( +90dB/watt and more) 'sound' better than massive power with insensitive speakers ( 84~86 dB/watt).

As always the bottom line is you have got to listen to the amp/speaker combination you want.....BEFORE you buy them. It's like getting married! You are stuck with it for quite a while once you commit yourself ! So take time and do your research well.
I might as well add. It's only what 'you' think of the performance that matters......others can just give you suggestions. So if you love a combination and others don't , it's still the best system for you !

Last edited:
Its always better to use amplifier with more power ratings with towers.Doing this,the tower sound much better even its with 90db sensitivity.Amp controls the speaker well and you can get better fidelity.

Its always better to use amplifier with more power ratings with towers.Doing this,the tower sound much better even its with 90db sensitivity.Amp controls the speaker well and you can get better fidelity.

Which amplifier do you think I should go for the aforesaid system?

Which amplifier do you think I should go for the aforesaid system?
I have checked myself with different amps.I compared Rolel 70w power amp with Rotel 100w and 100w amp had better sound stage and control over speakers.Speakers needed minimum 20w still with 100w they sounded in different and better way.One of our forum member also had Denon X1000 with Dali7.Still he went for X2000 later as he felt there was improvement.

Thats why I told,you can go for X2000 if budget permits.It has 4k video support.

I have checked myself with different amps.I compared Rolel 70w power amp with Rotel 100w and 100w amp had better sound stage and control over speakers.Speakers needed minimum 20w still with 100w they sounded in different and better way.One of our forum member also had Denon X1000 with Dali7.Still he went for X2000 later as he felt there was improvement.

Thats why I told,you can go for X2000 if budget permits.It has 4k video support.

I think I should wait and then buy X2000 only when I can. That sounds like a good idea. And how much do you think I should keep budget for Amplifier if I buy it?

I think I should wait and then buy X2000 only when I can. That sounds like a good idea. And how much do you think I should keep budget for Amplifier if I buy it?
Good av amps start around 50k and more.
Budget amps claims 80w plus power but struggles when push hard.
So for tower speakers, a budget of 50-60k can be safe option.lf you plan to upgrade after few years, then go for lower models.Have you taken any Demo?

Good av amps start around 50k and more.
Budget amps claims 80w plus power but struggles when push hard.
So for tower speakers, a budget of 50-60k can be safe option.lf you plan to upgrade after few years, then go for lower models.Have you taken any Demo?
@spirovious - among the current crop of mid level receivers (50-60k) which do you think has the most power? I am not sure if have a ready answer, but please let us know if you have some models in your mind.

I hear Pioneers usually have high power output in a given price bracket, that's why i was wondering.

Which AVR of Pioneer you think will be comparable to Denon X2000? And is there any Marantz AVR comparable to X2000 in quality and price?

Hi folks, logged in today morning and found this juicy discussion going on!!!

Firstly, there's one aspect that nobody has touched. bikram_singh, you've said the room dimensions are 25X15X11 feet. Now we need to know how you're aligning your speakers. Obviously one of these dimensions is the height, which is not relevant here - we're not sizing for ACs :) The entire discussion going on here is relevant only if your viewing distance is either 15 feet or 11 feet. If your viewing distance is 25 feet, you're going to have to re-look at everything. You'll need a pair of RTIs with a receiver + power amp (I dont think the TSx will suffice). Unfortunately that'll throw your budgeting for a toss.

Now assuming that isn't the case, then this discussion (TSx and allied products) is relevant.

I have a pair of TSi 400s which is the previous year's equivalent of the TSx series. Believe me, Polks are tremendous speakers.

I've paired them with an Onkyo TX-NR 616, and they go fine.

You will need a fairly powerful receiver for your room size. I'd suggest going with Denon X2000 at a minimum (stay away from X1000). On the Onkyo side, a TX-NR 626 minimum, or a TX-NR 727.

One more piece of advice: Try to source the receiver from abroad - preferably from the UAE or Europe because they are on the same voltage as us. If you buy it from US, you'll have to spend another 5K in a stepdown transformer. Trust me, receivers are OBSCENELY priced in India. It's criminal to pay the amount they charge here in India. You'll easily cut 50% costs if you source it from abroad. Of course there are caveats like no warranty etc., but with the amount you save you wont be complaining.

For eg: I got my Onkyo 616 at 25K INR from Dubai, whereas it costed 65K here. That's the kind of savings that I'm talking about! BTW (touch wood) in the past year I havent spent a single rupee on servicing it.

Regarding subs, somebody mentioned Velodyne. I have an Impact 12, and I can assure you, its an amazing product! Playing music in my living room rattles my bathroom doors and bedroom windows!!!

Cheers!

Which AVR of Pioneer you think will be comparable to Denon X2000? And is there any Marantz AVR comparable to X2000 in quality and price?
Pioneer LX series are much better but costly series.Polk may sound bright with pioneer VSX series AVR.

Hi folks, logged in today morning and found this juicy discussion going on!!!

Firstly, there's one aspect that nobody has touched. bikram_singh, you've said the room dimensions are 25X15X11 feet. Now we need to know how you're aligning your speakers. Obviously one of these dimensions is the height, which is not relevant here - we're not sizing for ACs :) The entire discussion going on here is relevant only if your viewing distance is either 15 feet or 11 feet. If your viewing distance is 25 feet, you're going to have to re-look at everything. You'll need a pair of RTIs with a receiver + power amp (I dont think the TSx will suffice). Unfortunately that'll throw your budgeting for a toss.

Now assuming that isn't the case, then this discussion (TSx and allied products) is relevant.

I have a pair of TSi 400s which is the previous year's equivalent of the TSx series. Believe me, Polks are tremendous speakers.

I've paired them with an Onkyo TX-NR 616, and they go fine.

You will need a fairly powerful receiver for your room size. I'd suggest going with Denon X2000 at a minimum (stay away from X1000). On the Onkyo side, a TX-NR 626 minimum, or a TX-NR 727.

One more piece of advice: Try to source the receiver from abroad - preferably from the UAE or Europe because they are on the same voltage as us. If you buy it from US, you'll have to spend another 5K in a stepdown transformer. Trust me, receivers are OBSCENELY priced in India. It's criminal to pay the amount they charge here in India. You'll easily cut 50% costs if you source it from abroad. Of course there are caveats like no warranty etc., but with the amount you save you wont be complaining.

For eg: I got my Onkyo 616 at 25K INR from Dubai, whereas it costed 65K here. That's the kind of savings that I'm talking about! BTW (touch wood) in the past year I havent spent a single rupee on servicing it.

Regarding subs, somebody mentioned Velodyne. I have an Impact 12, and I can assure you, its an amazing product! Playing music in my living room rattles my bathroom doors and bedroom windows!!!

Cheers!

Sourcing from UAE/Eurpoe is a good idea. I need to consider this option too. And for speakers I am almost settled for TSx series. And as I am building a new room for HT, I do not think I will have problem in deciding the viewing distance for 150" screen (I am going with Epson TW6100, I hope this one is fine, and still not decided on the screen). I may keep it around 15 ft if that is acoustically better for this set of speakers, and may include a bar in the rear! :eek:hyeah:

And I am going with Polk Pro 500 SW. And if I need an amp, which one do you think I should go with?

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back