What a difference air conditioning makes!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
I have the similar experience after installing AC in living room recently. Previously I used to listen music with windows open and fan off as the fan noise is high. But for movie watching for few hours I am forced to switch on fan. At high speed the fan noise is too much. Now with A/C on and windows closed it is totally different experience. Once the room cools down the A/C fan noise is acceptable. AVR and Plasma doesn't get warm/hot. So I feel A/C will be good for the A/V long run.

guys pls help me somone! how to find these kind of audiophile grade AC ?? i will b thankfull

Arjuraj, I doubt there’s classification as audiophile ACs. However, what will help anyone who wants to listen intently to music is a quiet AC. Firstly, splits are quieter than window ACs. So prefer splits, even if installation and servicing is costlier and effortful.

Usually AC blower’s loudness contributes to the noise in the room. So go for a make that has quieter fans. The decibel levels are always mentioned in the specs. But remember that the AC also has to be powerful enough (for your room) so that you can comfortably operate it on ‘low’ speed and yet get the desired cooling. So erring slightly on the higher tonnage side could help. Also check the blower’s throw is good enough, even at low speed. Some companies have patented technologies for the same that might help.

Beyond this, with usage the indoor unit can start making some sounds. Also, reduced condenser effectiveness can necessitate operation at higher blower speed. Regular cleaning of filters and servicing could help delay such deterioration and give you quieter operation for longer period.

There have been quite a few comments on this discussion which has attracted some negative attention.

I would like to point out that we had a similar sentiment during the early days of digital where forum members were scoffed at for trying out high end digital cables. At the time the "bits are bits" was the prevailing thought on digital. Since then a lot of progress has been made and we now know that down at the wire, we are still dealing with voltages, wire materials, cable geometries, etc and all that has an effect on sound quality.

So please be patient with the discussion and let the opinions be expressed. If you do not agree with the post, please do express your point but it should be done in a manner that is respectful and courteous to the fellow member. I hope that we can all do this in an amicable fashion.

Regards

Listening to music is also dependent on how peaceful one's mind is. So, psychologically, everyone would agree that being in AC cooled room provides more satisfaction than in under a fan. So, one advantage here. I listen to music between when kids are off to school and when I start getting ready for office. Now to me my music sounds better when I have less load at office vs when I have tons of things pending at office that day. So, yes, think, realize, you might agree. It is NOt you who listens to music but instead it is your brain, that is a very tricky piece of gear:).

The second thing I observe is that fan, in most cases blows air in the path of speakers to listener that continuously changes the air pressure (not sure if I can call this density). We all must have had this feeling if you recall, think of a situation where music is played publicly at a far distance and if it is windy outside, at time we get to hear that music clearly and then it fades.

And of course, AC has less noise compared to fan.

I agree that to some this won't make sense (even sound funny:)) because I felt the same too, probably 10 years ago. But it is what it is and my attitude is to always have an open mind, try what others say, works good, doesn't work, move on. With this attitude, the three most rewarding experiences have been as follows.

1. Equitech Power Supply - One cannot imaging the level of calmness this can bring in to your system and amount of satisfaction you get at the end.
2. Passive preamp - Yes, there are some who don't like passive but for me, it is a gem. What I have noticed that active preamps adds some unwanted intensity/speed to the signal.
3. Dante connectivity for digital - This is so interesting that when somebody proposed this over headfi, I did not react to this nicely and when I tried Dante, well, I felt like sending personal apology to the poster but have not been able to locate that person yet. And, probably that is one of the reasons why I keep quiet and listen.

Thanks for reading :).

There have been quite a few comments on this discussion which has attracted some negative attention.

I would like to point out that we had a similar sentiment during the early days of digital where forum members were scoffed at for trying out high end digital cables. At the time the "bits are bits" was the prevailing thought on digital. Since then a lot of progress has been made and we now know that down at the wire, we are still dealing with voltages, wire materials, cable geometries, etc and all that has an effect on sound quality.

So please be patient with the discussion and let the opinions be expressed. If you do not agree with the post, please do express your point but it should be done in a manner that is respectful and courteous to the fellow member. I hope that we can all do this in an amicable fashion.

Regards

So true Nikhil..so many threads over the years where I started out mentally exasperated but ended up researching and learning something new !

Imagine watching a movie in a cinema hall full of people and no a/c. You will possibly run out getting stuffy and breathless.

Well the above is an extreme situation and in a hot city like Chennai, it can get quite tough in peak summer with most getting used to air-conditioner comfort.
I though don't have any a/c in my listening space as it is the main hall. In my space the music is better heard at night due a more silent surrounding.

Dont go too cold with the a/c, you should not feel cold/chill but just cool. Get an inverter a/c which has the capability to maintain a constant temperature
With all doors and windows closed, the ambient noise does come down, thereby you get to hear more of details in the music.
The cooler temperature, also helps in the electronics running cooler and more efficient.
Also with the body and mind more relaxed, music also appeals that much more.

To control resonance/bass colouration by room walls, corners etc. we using damping, absorption and diffraction techniques. Similarly to filter out external noise from the ambient air, you try to isolate the room from the world by closing all openings. In this scenario an air-conditioner is the only close to silent solution unless you have the luxury to live in some hill station.

One more thing.If one need to use ac in music room,he has to make sure that room's A.C. power line(240v in) should be separate or good enough as Air-conditioner will draw high current(upto 7 amps)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back