What about PHILIPS LCD TVs

pungan

Anybody have current generation Philips LCD tvs 42PFL7404, 42PFL8404, 42PFL9664. i heard they are also quit good but not available in India except 7000 series.
Please post your comments if you currently have or owned it previously.

The 7 series which is available in India is not that good.The recent models are sold only in Europe and certain Asian countries such as Singapore. Philips has pulled out most of its home entertainment system in India as it is concentrating more on medical and electrical products.

The 9703 is still available in India but only in Philips arena which simply is the best 42" LCD Ive seen here, no matter in any price range.It is being imported from Belgium and has LED local dimming (128 regions) and has a 17 bit panel. In fact Philips is the first manufacturer to introduce LED local dimming and this TV is available in India from 2008.At approx 94k INR it is a steal.

Philips Cineos 42PFL9703 - Plasma and LCD TVs - Gadget Guy Australia

+1 for that. Philips has some of the stunning TV and Home Entertainment but sadly they dont see India as a good base so most of their good products sit in Europe :(

And It scares the day lights out to buy a Philips LCD bcos of their service, imagine having to wait for everything for 1 to 2 months :sad:

And It scares the day lights out to buy a Philips LCD bcos of their service, imagine having to wait for everything for 1 to 2 months :sad:

ive never really had any problem with Philips service and also the Philips products that i have not gone bad that easy as of now. but, I am not sure the service will be in future.

ive never really had any problem with Philips service and also the Philips products that i have not gone bad that easy as of now. but, I am not sure the service will be in future.

The 4750 I had was sitting at home gathering dust for 3 months bcos a small part was not available and had to come from UK!!!! Many of my friends have suffered this and had to be escalated to Philips Customer Head to get it resolved

The 4750 I had was sitting at home gathering dust for 3 months bcos a small part was not available and had to come from UK!!!! Many of my friends have suffered this and had to be escalated to Philips Customer Head to get it resolved

That is of course very bad service.Philips better make sure they don't loose their already existing customers.

The 7 series which is available in India is not that good.The recent models are sold only in Europe and certain Asian countries such as Singapore. Philips has pulled out most of its home entertainment system in India as it is concentrating more on medical and electrical products.

The 9703 is still available in India but only in Philips arena which simply is the best 42" LCD Ive seen here, no matter in any price range.It is being imported from Belgium and has LED local dimming (128 regions) and has a 17 bit panel. In fact Philips is the first manufacturer to introduce LED local dimming and this TV is available in India from 2008.At approx 94k INR it is a steal.

9703 has CCFL based backlighting and not LED... 9803 is the LED model, not available in India though..

I searched around on the web found that pfl9704 and pfl9664 and pfl8404 are very good, looking for 42" model.
If anyone have more information regarding above models availability and price in India ?

^ These are newer models which uses Samsung panels and edge LED dimming. There is very less chance of it getting introduced in India.You can probably source it from Singapore, but i would suggest you check out the 9703 which is available in Philips arena.when I saw that model a few months ago i was quite impressed with the pic quality it offered in both SD and HD. I guess the 9703 uses LG or Sharp panel.

^ These are newer models which uses Samsung panels and edge LED dimming. There is very less chance of it getting introduced in India.You can probably source it from Singapore, but i would suggest you check out the 9703 which is available in Philips arena.when I saw that model a few months ago i was quite impressed with the pic quality it offered in both SD and HD. I guess the 9703 uses LG or Sharp panel.

they don't use samsung panels,since samsung doesn't even make 42" lcds.

they don't use samsung panels,since samsung doesn't even make 42" lcds.

Do your home work before you reply, first read my post again and understand what ive posted.

i was talking abt the new models pfl9704 which is not available in India and these are offered in 40",46" and 52".

this is the new medium range series by Philips mostly for Europe and certain countries in asia.

The information in the links ive pasted below might help, i guess.

Philips 46PFL9704 Review

PHILIPS PFL9704 LED-Lux-Serie mit 200Hz, LD-LED, Ambilight Spectra 3, DVB-C

Philips Fernseher: (Inter)NetTV und 200 Hz - News - CHIP Online

Philips 9704 Series | 40PFL9704, 46PFL9704, 52PFL9704 - HDTV Reviews

Unlike you i am not just one brand focused and be completely knowledge less about what kinda panel a particular brand makes.

Last edited:
the full HD.gr site is full of bull,they say the sony Z5500 uses a IPS panel,sure.:rolleyes:

well they do use a ASV or AU optronics EDGE LED panel ,not the samsung,which even refused to share the tech with sony .

the full HD.gr site is full of bull,they say the sony Z5500 uses a IPS panel,sure.:rolleyes:

well they do use a ASV or AU optronics EDGE LED panel ,not the samsung,which even refused to share the tech with sony .

Did i give that link check the specs of a sony tv?

even if the website gives crap info abt sony are you a sony employee or an insider who has so much info that you can challenge a website? if yes, then write then may be they will award you. i just pasted a random website to point out what ive pasted abt Philips tv.

u did not understand what i typed? it was in plain simple English.

are you proving again that u just read stuff only abt sony?

you think i would give a shit abt what panel sony uses or what kinda bitch fight they had with Samsung?

the discussion is about Philips tv models and lets stick to that.

Last edited:
Did i give that link check the specs of a sony tv?

even if the website gives crap info abt sony are you a sony employee or an insider who has so much info that you can challenge a website?

u did not understand what i typed? it was in plain simple English.

are you proving again that u just read stuff only abt sony?

you think i would give a shit abt what panel sony uses or what kinda bitch fight they had with Samsung?

the discussion is about Philips tv models and lets stick with that.

well the fact is they gave crap information ,discussed heavily in avforums/avsforums.i said it as a caution.hell i have corrected the editor of anandtech in one of reviews of a lcd monitor.so just because a website says something doesn't mean its correct.the same can apply to anywebsite or individual.
philips don't samsung panel.only AU optronics/sharp as orders from philips.

Last edited:
well the fact is they gave crap information ,discussed heavily in avforums/avsforums.i said it as a caution.hell i have corrected the editor of anandtech in one of reviews of a lcd monitor.so just because a website says something doesn't mean its correct.the same can apply to anywebsite or individual.
philips don't samsung panel.only AU optronics/sharp as orders from philips.

Philips used LG and sharp panels in the past and even now it is still being used for the sizes 32",37",42" and so on.

the 9803 with 128 region RGB LED back light dimming used the sharp panel.

The new range 9704 40" and so on uses Samsung panel.

like you said it does not have to be true and i would not have to believe you one bit when you say Philips uses X panel or they don't use Y panel.It is real funny when you post statement like a brand does not have orders from a specific supplier(like you know those suppliers personally and called them and inquired)

so you corrected something in some website :clapping: i ve not known abt this anand website that much until today and i am not sure how good is the same.

can you post the link of that correction you did, i wanna see what silly mistake that website made.

Philips used LG and sharp panels in the past and even now it is still being used for the sizes 32",37",42" and so on.

the 9803 with 128 region RGB LED back light dimming used the sharp panel.
[/QUOTE]
thank u so much for enlighting me again.

The new range 9704 40" and so on uses Samsung panel.
samsung being the no1 in terms of sales,they themself face panel shortage and use panels from 2 other venders.sony being no3 in sales due to shortage use panels from AU optronics and even CPT in 26inch models.
as far as philips news articles from display search and digitimes and others don't indicate samsung as the lcd vendor to philips.only .lg,AU and sharp.nor have users reported the use of samsung panel ,they have however reported the use of AU,lg and sharp panels.

like you said it does not have to be true and i would not have to believe you one bit when you say Philips uses X panel or they don't use Y panel.It is real funny when you post statement like a brand does not have orders from a specific supplier(like you know those suppliers personally and called them and inquired)
well exactly the same can be said about ur observations of sony X450A,frankly i doubt u even own a kuro in the first place.

so you corrected something in some website :clapping: i ve not known abt
this anand website that much until today and i am not sure how good is the same.

can you post the link of that correction you did, i wanna see what silly mistake that website made.
some ignorant people are in their own world, if a person didn't know about anandtech,well what can i say most people here would definetly know them since its one of the first websites to know about new products that u wouldn't even know they existed,since it is one of the oldest and largest online hardware review sites.so with all the talk u do in this forum i am suprised u didn't know it ,AnandTech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here is the correction AnandTech: Desperately Seeking Quality LCDs search for adder

well exactly the same can be said about ur observations of sony X450A,frankly i doubt u even own a kuro in the first place.

Well i cant help when u assume things on your own with things that ive not stated. I would care real less on what you think about my observations , specifically since ive never seen you post anything expect abt sony(or quoting sony in a irrelevant thread). I have my group of video and audiophiles who appreciate good products and not just blinded by one brand.

Guys...no offence meant...but you both are Geeks and keep adding to our know-how...but please don't get too personal in fight. Why can't we just stick to Technical discussion.

Please keep enlightening us with your knowledge.

Guys...no offence meant...but you both are Geeks and keep adding to our know-how...but please don't get too personal in fight. Why can't we just stick to Technical discussion.

Please keep enlightening us with your knowledge.

well as much as i would love too,here is a guy,who admitted that he hates lcds,with all the anti sony posts.
i don't like LCD's anyways, As long as i am happy with the kuro i would care real less abt LCD's.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/5982-sony-zx5-edge-led-lcd.html

and just check out all the anti sony posts. http://www.hifivision.com/television/6204-32-lcd-sony-v550-s550.html#post77147
http://www.hifivision.com/television/6276-hdtv-shootout-2009-a.html#post77817
plenty in these 2 threads.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/6327-sony-their-best-tvs-without-power-cord-2.html
http://www.hifivision.com/television/6341-sony-klv-40w550a-issue-text-screen.html

Last edited:
Some time back i heard / read that philips and lg had developed some panels and are being used by philips. Anyways, I bought my philips 47PF9541 w/ FullHD panel in 2007 ( one of their higher end models w/o ambilight and got it for 180k under diwali offer w/ a philips 5986 DVDP and HDMI cable, mrp of the tv was 200k).

I am very much impressed with the PQ compared to others in both SD and HD. I am very much particular about the details, philips performs very well in that and i can see the details very clearly even in darker scenes. The big difference i noted was that unlike philips none of the other brands were (are) showing white color as white. I noticed a red shift in Sony (gives mouth watering colors during HD demo which shows flowers, fruits etc in vivid mode), a slight blue/green shift in samsung (all were compared w/ all settings to normal). The shop keeper was very helpful in comparing w/ other models and brands and we checked w/ one bluray movie also from PS3. Also the next model 47PFL7422 from philips was not impressive and had some red tinting. Moreover the scaler was top notch for both SD and HD, especially SD. Moreover i am using component out from BigTv and some of the channels are really comparable as DVD quality (eg., Asianet, StarMovies, Indiavision...). Also the Natural Motion algorithm used is nowhere compared to others (the best comparable was found in Sony (on few models), dont remember the model number). The sound quality cannot be compared to any other LCDs because of the size limitation (its equipped with one 4" woofer and dome tweeters, size and number dont remember and accommodated at the 5" bottom frame). With SRS DD, i can really feel the sound coming from the virtual surround channels while watching DVDs with DD thru hdmi (current sitting position is 2ft from the back wall). The major issue i faced was that i couldnt find much reviews about this product, but what ever i could collect were given higher ratings.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back