What do people do with their setup when they go onsite for long Term ?

Tanoj

Hi,

What do people do with their setup when they go onsite for long Term ?, apart from selling the setup :rolleyes:

so my concern is regarding the complete setup, which includes 60 + vinyl records, TT, speakers, Apm , cdp etc

what if we pack everything properly and keep it, will it still worn out etc ?

Regards

Tanoj

Most people I know usually sell off their equipment with the thought of bringing back something higher in the chain when they return. I'd say figure out a way to preserve your vinyls, at least the ones you really really want. You could pack them up with some padding, use cling wrap or polythene to moisture proof them, put them upright in a box, add some silica gel packets for additional moisture proofing and store it away.

@ soulforged : Thanks for your suggestion, most of the vinyls i love them, so i will store them as the way you describe

for speakers i believe they need to be played frequently, atleast once a week or so, so no point in storing them

even at this point of time i was searching for a subwoofer for my setup :eek:hyeah: such a freak i am ;)

Regards

Tanoj

It is obvious that you have built your setup with a lot of care and love. Keep it! Plus, vinyl setup is tricky (and terrifies me). Wrap up everything with multiple layers of clingwrap. Clingwrap is best because it will prevent any dust from entering and will also protect against humidity etc. Don't do bubble wrap etc since you are not transporting. In my experience, clingwrap provides a near airtight cover and seal - and is easy to apply and take off without causing any damage at all.

How long do you expect to be away?

I am in the merchant navy and am away for 3 to 5 months at a time during which time none of the main setup is used, hifi or HT. I have never done anything special by way of storing my gear and media. Never had any problems.

BTW, great idea from manniraj :eek:hyeah:

I would say, there would be nothing to worry for the LPs and CDs. Just leave them properly covered or wrapped to avoid dust.

Electronics and, for that matter, any machinery should not be left unused for very long periods. Would no one be able to merely switch them on and off every once in a while? Actually using them would, of course, be much better.

You could seriously consider leaving the gear with some people who would take good care. I am sure some FMs from Bangalore would be willing and caring.

Just out of curiosity - on what basis do you say or feel that electronics or speakers should be operated at least once every few months??

Audiophile grade electronics easily last 20+ years regardless of use. Speakers last even more. Even with old electronics, I am only aware of people needing to replace some capacitors - and again, that too after decades of service.

What difference does it make if you use it or not? More specifically, what degradation do you think happens in an airtight package - that doesn't happen when it sits on your shelf/rack (regardless of use)?

If you are using a car analogy, you need to remember that a car has a lot of liquids in pipes - which is simply not the case with electronics or speakers. Which is also why a car or bike requires oil change etc every 6 months - something that your electronics clearly don't.

If you have the original box and storage just re pack them. I have had my speakers and amps packed for years. Infact a pair of JBL bookshelves for close to 10 years. Just opened them last week and they sounded perfect.Dust is their enemy.

For me it depends on the duration.

When it's a planned long time off I disconnect them from mains, disconnect all cables etc and put multiple level of thick cloth (retired towels etc work well).

This is for the gear that's in service in the system. The gear which is stand by/surplus/experimental stays packed either in original boxes or wrapped in bubble wrap and stored securely in card board boxes.

So long as the "room" is not damp/moist with good ventilation it won't matter.

Be extra cautious if you have ever had a case of termite, though. In such special cases you should use metal storage boxes filled with silica bags.

Unplug from Mains . Nothing will happen. Sinc eyou are overly protective maybe some dust protective measures like a cloth cover . Thats it. No need to package etc.

Just out of curiosity - on what basis do you say or feel that electronics or speakers should be operated at least once every few months??

Audiophile grade electronics easily last 20+ years regardless of use. Speakers last even more. Even with old electronics, I am only aware of people needing to replace some capacitors - and again, that too after decades of service.

What difference does it make if you use it or not? More specifically, what degradation do you think happens in an airtight package - that doesn't happen when it sits on your shelf/rack (regardless of use)?

If you are using a car analogy, you need to remember that a car has a lot of liquids in pipes - which is simply not the case with electronics or speakers. Which is also why a car or bike requires oil change etc every 6 months - something that your electronics clearly don't.

Sorry, I missed asliarun's post.
Well, have been told this for ever. But, then, I have not had any gear remotely audiophile until quite recently. And, may I add, it's been a hell of an eye and ear opening experience!
On hindsight, maybe one year may not really affect anything.

No, I was not comparing it with airtight packaging.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back