What does the Logo on Records refer?

Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

bhaskarcan

Recently I acquired some hardly played Bengali and Indian classical LP's from a veteran collector. Most of them are earlier Big Nipper/coloured Nipper/ black HMV labels. Going by the convention that "earlier presses sound good", I thought of replacing my in use later presses with the newly acquired nice condition earlier presses.
While doing so, I played them and compared both types of pressings. To my utter surprise, I found that in at least 50% cases the later blacknwhite Nipper presses sounded discernible better than the Big Nipper/Coloured Nipper/black hmv label presses. Hence I ended up retaining both types of labels. Later presses for listening, earlier presses for collection value.
This maybe one off phenomenon for those particular albums only. Still it would have been foolish on my behalf to replace the earlier pressings with later pressings blindly.

Regards

souravin

Recently I acquired some hardly played Bengali and Indian classical LP's from a veteran collector. Most of them are earlier Big Nipper/coloured Nipper/ black HMV labels. Going by the convention that "earlier presses sound good", I thought of replacing my in use later presses with the newly acquired nice condition earlier presses.
While doing so, I played them and compared both types of pressings. To my utter surprise, I found that in at least 50% cases the later blacknwhite Nipper presses sounded discernible better than the Big Nipper/Coloured Nipper/black hmv label presses. Hence I ended up retaining both types of labels. Later presses for listening, earlier presses for collection value.
This maybe one off phenomenon for those particular albums only. Still it would have been foolish on my behalf to replace the earlier pressings with later pressings blindly.

Regards

A news indeed. There are so many surprises awaiting for us because of these EMI/ HMV folks. While we Bollywood collectors are shouting for Red label, these are the kind of parameters contributing to raise confusion further. Odeon vs Angel war - which one is a better pressing is still a debate to die for.

bhaskarcan

A news indeed. There are so many surprises awaiting for us because of these EMI/ HMV folks. While we Bollywood collectors are shouting for Red label, these are the kind of parameters contributing to raise confusion further. Odeon vs Angel war - which one is a better pressing is still a debate to die for.
As far as Angel vs Odeon pressings of Hindi film music is concerned, there shouldn't be much of ambiguity.
By now we all know the early era Odeon labels, when Angel labels were prevalent, were nothing but an Angel pressing with odeon labels for foreign markets. Anyone trying to differentiate sound quality between them is just wasting his/her time, IMHO.
As regards to later Odeon pressings of earlier Angel records, quite logically, the Angels sounded bold and open in comparison. But the catch is to get a nicely playable Angel copy in reasonable price. These records have become almost unobtainable nowadays. Whereas their Odeon counterparts are easier to get in great playing condition.
So it's up to the listeners to decide between a difficult to get, expensive Angel record with surface noise and pops n clicks and nice condition, easily available later Odeon print of the same record.
{(P.S. The biggest drawback I see of the Odeon pressings of later time is it's lesser show-off value on social media. The power of "I have a first press Angel" is way higher than having the Odeon one, irrespective of their present condition n SQ....☺️☺️)}

Regards

souravin

As far as Angel vs Odeon pressings of Hindi film music is concerned, there shouldn't be much of ambiguity.
By now we all know the early era Odeon labels, when Angel labels were prevalent, were nothing but an Angel pressing with odeon labels for foreign markets. Anyone trying to differentiate sound quality between them is just wasting his/her time, IMHO.
As regards to later Odeon pressings of earlier Angel records, quite logically, the Angels sounded bold and open in comparison. But the catch is to get a nicely playable Angel copy in reasonable price. These records have become almost unobtainable nowadays. Whereas their Odeon counterparts are easier to get in great playing condition.
So it's up to the listeners to decide between a difficult to get, expensive Angel record with surface noise and pops n clicks and nice condition, easily available later Odeon print of the same record.
{(P.S. The biggest drawback I see of the Odeon pressings of later time is it's lesser show-off value on social media. The power of "I have a first press Angel" is way higher than having the Odeon one, irrespective of their present condition n SQ....☺️☺️)}

Regards

Dada this is very insightful. Missed to mention that I meant Odeon double ring only. Angel and Ring Odeon confronting each other.

Plain Odeon were later releases should be kept outside the purview for difference in vinyl material quality.

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

Very good topic indeed. Recently I have bought some Bengali song LPs( Rabindrasangeet, nazrulgeeti, folk songs etc). Some of them are of the red nipper labels so I have expected much better SQ in comparison to the normal HMV pressing that I already have but I don't find any heaven and hell difference in SQ in between the red nipper and the black or white nipper.
Regards

sig8

I am trying to buy some used Hindi film music LPs on Discogs. I would like to know what is the difference in sound quality between original issue and reissue as shown in attached pictures, let's call the original the colored cover, and the reissue brown cover. There are several LPs like that.

Also, how are Pakistani EMI releases compared to Indian releases? Thanks.

Attachments

• Manoranjan.JPG
    Manoranjan.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 9

souravin

I am trying to buy some used Hindi film music LPs on Discogs. I would like to know what is the difference in sound quality between original issue and reissue as shown in attached pictures, let's call the original the colored cover, and the reissue brown cover. There are several LPs like that.

Also, how are Pakistani EMI releases compared to Indian releases? Thanks.

First press Ring Angel or Ring Odeon have more depth and bass. Reissue HFLP are very very refined and thin on sound in most cases. There are exceptions but very few.

sig8

Any word on last 2017-2018 pressings sound quality. I don't expect much but just asking if anyone has any experience comparing to original pressings.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!