What gauge power cable

AKT

Dear FMs,

Looking for some advice here. I need to run 15m power cable to feed a distribution box that powers the following - 90W Integrated amp + Streaming DAC + 60" old LCD TV + misc (router, set-top box, etc). Should I be ok with a 2.5 sq mm cord or move up to a 4 sq mm one?

Thank you.

Dear FMs,

Looking for some advice here. I need to run 15m power cable to feed a distribution box that powers the following - 90W Integrated amp + Streaming DAC + 60" old LCD TV + misc (router, set-top box, etc). Should I be ok with a 2.5 sq mm cord or move up to a 4 sq mm one?

Thank you.
4 sq mm is very thick. You are going to use 240 volts lets say 90W amp + 100W tv + Dac (few watts). Let say total of 600 watts. Around 3 amps. Even if yu consume 1000 wats, it will be around 4 Amps. 2.5 sqmm is good enough.

4mm is 11 AWG. It will be thick and unwieldy. Get a good 3 core cable with copper braided shield. I have ordered 1.5 sq mm, 10m from vashiisl.com. It is yet to be delivered. Will let you know the quality once it gets delivered

Dear FMs,

Thank you.
2.5sqmm 3-core is plenty to run a full HT; like 11.2 and more.
Cheers,
Raghu

Poly Vinyl Chloride a.k.a PVC
Unless one cuts in cross section and checks the gauge of copper used, it will probably be a thick layer of PVC.
Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu has explained this. Just today I made a cable using a thick audiophile cable from Taiwan. The thickness is all because of PVC. The wires for phase and neutral looked like 12 gauge, but the earth wire was thin (maybe around 16 gauge).

This cable has made no difference to me as far as sound quality goes. But it sure looks good and costly (1294 per meter) :p. One can of course spend more. There is no limit to what you can spend when the audiophile bug bites you.

cable1.jpg

Raghu has explained this. Just today I made a cable using a thick audiophile cable from Taiwan. The thickness is all because of PVC. The wires for phase and neutral looked like 12 gauge, but the earth wire was thin (maybe around 16 gauge).

This cable has made no difference to me as far as sound quality goes. But it sure looks good and costly (1294 per meter) :p. One can of course spend more. There is no limit to what you can spend when the audiophile bug bites you.

View attachment 67327

What is the make of power connectors you have on the cable. Are they from Taiwan or usual Chinese ware ?

What is the make of power connectors you have on the cable. Are they from Taiwan or usual Chinese ware ?
It is from Taiwan. MPS C-380 OFC high quality HiFi Audio Mains Power Cable RAW per linear metre. Material: OFC ( Oxygen-Free Copper ). Resistance value: 8.45km. Country/Region of Manufacture: Taiwan, Type: Power Cable, Brand: MPS.
See the discussion on this cable below.
I recently got a high quality power cord and connected it as a master cable going into my power distributor / filter. The difference I heard wasn’t subtle, I was surprised. The sound became cleaner overall, across all frequencies. It was especially noticeable in high frequencies which became louder and cleaner. The cable was only about $90 for 2 meters, it’s from Taiwanese manufacturer MPS, model C-380. Very solidly built, but quite flexible

It is from Taiwan. MPS C-380 OFC high quality HiFi Audio Mains Power Cable RAW per linear metre. Material: OFC ( Oxygen-Free Copper ). Resistance value: 8.45km. Country/Region of Manufacture: Taiwan, Type: Power Cable, Brand: MPS.
See the discussion on this cable below.

Thanks ...

View attachment 67327
Wow..looking really beautiful :)

Excellent workmanship sir :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back