What genres sound best on Vinyl?

Hi Malvai

I went into vinyl because it has higher emotional involvement but at that mid level i did not find it superior to Esoteric. The vinyl did more things wrong than right. Maybe my vinyl was not set up correctly? I do not know but in my rig Esoteric did almost everything better.

Prem, I think, once you get the right combo, you'll get into vinyl in a BIG BIG way... to outdo the Esoteric, and the kind of fine tuning that you have put into achieving your sound, you'll need a turntable/arm/cart/phono combo that is very finely calibarted. that, unlike didgital, takes a lot of hard work.

and analogue is real hard work.... it took me 3 years to get my rig sound right!

Hi Malvai

If you want your cd player to sound like a very good analogue set up, go for the AMR 77 cd player. When you listen to a AMR 77, it sounds as if a turntable is playing. It has a lot of those qualities which impresses a vinyl guy.

where can one audition this? and how much does it cost bro?

@ Prem:
I already like the AMR guys! They begin by praising analogue....!
here is how their home page opens, "Over the past decade, digital playback has veered off on a tangent, to sound ever more detailed and uninvolving. Hence AMR's CD-77 Compact Disk Processor had one aim and one aim only:

"To bring compact disk playback back en par with the vinyl system."
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Malvai

You will really like the AMR 77. I heard it in Singapore. Speak to the company else try Audiogon. There are 2 right now on sale and both are 220V units. Used, they cost about $6000. New i think it costs $ 12000

Hi Malvai

I completely agree with you that vinyl needs a lot of fine tuning and calibration. As you know i have not given up on my vinyl. I am still in search of a set up that i will be happy with.

Hi Malvai

In my mind i am convinced that old analogue masterings must be heard on a good analogue set up and the newer digital recordings must be heard on a good digital set up.

Hi Malvai

In my mind i am convinced that old analogue masterings must be heard on a good analogue set up and the newer digital recordings must be heard on a good digital set up.

Bang on!
I am convinced about this as well!

But, ever so often, one encounters modern recordings that leave one speechless when heard on vinyl.

I invite you to listen to three:
1. Thom Yorke - The Eraser
2. Neil Young - Le Noise
3. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Hi Malvai

I have not heard these albums but if the vinyl of these albums are great and these are digital recordings they should technically sound even better on a good cd player.

Thanks Manav. And sorry I am wrong about rumble noise, As most high quality turntable has taken care of it.
As per my thinking vinyl quality is solely dependant on craftsmanship of vinyl cutter. Its his skill that determines the quality of pressings besides used and warped records loose their fidelity. Also grooves has to be accurately in center to the spindle hole. Vinyls are cut laterally but are played tangentially. So vinyl lovers/collectors should look for these thing. Thanks for the 45 rpm secret. (have few of them, will keep this in mind in future purchases) and also liked the approach of listening to analog mastering on vinyls and rest on digital.

Regards and keep spinning :)

hey Prem,
your statement,

"In my mind i am convinced that old analogue masterings must be heard on a good analogue set up and the newer digital recordings must be heard on a good digital set up".

is absolutely SPOT-ON..........

And to find this out, u only have to have a LITTLE bit of realisation as to what u want out of the (1) MUSIC SYSTEM and (2) MUSIC itself..... if u have that, u would'nt take long to realise this.... in my case it took about a month....

Now my question to u is,
1. When OLD MASTERINGS are played on VINYL, and NEWER DIGITAL is played on CD, ask urself as to which gets u more INVOLVED ?? Let me know whether the VINYL playback does'nt give u that heavenly feeling as compared to CD...
This takes care of the MUSIC-SYSTEM..
2. Which MUSIC has the potential to give that heavenly, orgasmic feeling?? Is the MUSIC composed in todays age in any way comparable to what we call OLD???? I mainly listen to Hindustani classical, Ghazals and Hindi film music, and i can guarantee that what we call OLD is still FRESHER than the fresh music releasing today.

So if the vinly plays the old music better, and the old music in itself is better; does'nt that make OLD MUSIC played on VINYL a winning combination????

my view....

Hi Sumeet

I too listen to a lot of Ghazals and old Hindi film music.

The problem with the currently available cds of old Hindi films is that they have not been mastered well. But if you can lay your hands on the old Made in England cds of old Hindi films they are very nice.

At this point i am still in search of a turntable that plays old Hindi film music better than my cd player. A few months back i had the Bellavista Signature table but it was not upto the mark. The search continues.

Incidentally some of the new hindi film music sounds fabulous on cd.

With vinyl one can buy a sub one lakh turntable and get very decent sound but when it comes to a cd player one has to invest a lot more to get good sound.

ok so we agree to disagree...
so till the time i can lay my hands on "Made in England" cds of old hindi music, and an expensive Cd player, i will enjoy my vinyls...

With the issue of fidality of the MUSIC SYSTEM taken care of, the issue of difference in musical superiority of old music vs new music always remains....

Sumeet.......

Hi Sumeet

I too listen to a lot of Ghazals and old Hindi film music.

The problem with the currently available cds of old Hindi films is that they have not been mastered well. But if you can lay your hands on the old Made in England cds of old Hindi films they are very nice.

At this point i am still in search of a turntable that plays old Hindi film music better than my cd player. A few months back i had the Bellavista Signature table but it was not upto the mark. The search continues.

Incidentally some of the new hindi film music sounds fabulous on cd.

With vinyl one can buy a sub one lakh turntable and get very decent sound but when it comes to a cd player one has to invest a lot more to get good sound.

Hi Sumeet

Old hindi film music has soul and content. The newer stuff lacks longevity. Its designed to rule the charts for a week or two. Thats how the new generation likes it.

At the end of the day the formats do not matter. The point is are we enjoying our music? Years back i used to have as much fun listening to old hindi film music on a 2 in 1.

Last edited:
hi Prem.
u r right in pointing that OLD music had that longivity, melody and soul. The difference also lies in the powerful writing by thinkers like Saahir, Kaifi, Hasrat Jaipuri, Neeraj, Anand Bakshi and the like....

U righty point out that old music sounds great even on old 2 in 1s or old valve radios.... now, try listenig to NEW music on old 2 in 1s and imagine how that would sound....

Again, one statement i object to is " the newer generationg likes the music to be fast and lacking soul, longivity, content"..... Its this wrong assumption that the music industry of today has, that has deteriorated our music beyond repair.. today's music composers have become mere clones of western music (barring a few good songs here and there)..... thats the reason why people like HIMESH RESHAMIYA become the premiere music composers of today.....

We have killed the taste for good things for the young generation and have stuffed their mouths with JUNK... what else can they do when they r forced to like it.....

this will change only when people like us, who have heard what soulful music is, try and wipe off the notion that new generation likes it....

Sumeet...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back