What Hi-fi (India)

nishant

I'm sure most of you would've heard of this global brand and its establishment in India. For its second phase and a "relaunch", we are looking for passionate audiophiles with writing flair and technical know-how to handle the best AV equipment in the world. Interested?

I'm sure most of you would've heard of this global brand and its establishment in India. For its second phase and a "relaunch", we are looking for passionate audiophiles with writing flair and technical know-how to handle the best AV equipment in the world. Interested?

I would like to contribute, i am good at testing and writing part i can manage. :eek:

It looks to be a good opportunity for the people dipped in Electronics.......

Last edited:
Nishant,

I have a feeling that this might work only for people located in Mumbai.

Regards,
Sharad

Well it is true that the job requires a full-time engagement in Mumbai since this is where the listening rooms will be situated. But What Hi-fi will have content beyond mere reviews so if anyone would like to be our "offsite" correspondent to cover events, write about their listening experiences and so on...please feel free to contribute. This magazine should be for the audiophile, by the audiophile...

i am a regular reader of your mag. it is a good mag but inclined towards foreign brands. i think the mag should also highlight the local brands of india like Enbee, Lyrita audio, norge etc and cover the products of local companies also

regards
sushil_pareek31

Last edited:
While at AVMax, Nishant was covering all the local interests. I am hoping that he would do the same at WhatHiFi .
I kind of assumed that that is what the India "relaunch" was all about:)

Thanks,
Sharad

HI Nishant,
Pardon my ignorance.. Have you moved out of AVMAX? I subscribe to avmax partly because of my faith in you.. I might have to change loyalties if you have.

offtrack..Jan 08 AVMAX spoke of high end ( read exhorbitantly priced) electric cables and felt sad that AVMAX gave high ratings.
The electricity to our homes travels through 1000's of miles of all kinds of cables and reaches our wall socket. From the wall socket to our electronics (discounting any power conditioning equipment) is a distance of few metres.

I fail to understand how a 25000RS electric copper cable can make things better within a few meters? Unless I have missed something great, i would stick to a normal copper cable with a decent guage.

Yes, it is true that the February 2008 issue of AV MAX and T3 will be my last with the Infomedia group. And to answer the question earlier posted, part of my agenda at What hi-fi (India) is to construct a state-of-the-art listening room and begin reviewing relevant products that are sold across India, apart from supporting local brands too ofcourse!

Hello Nishant,
I am a current reviewer for Soundstage e-magazine as Sid Vootla. I used to live in Detroit but have since relocated to Pune, so my conttribution rate to Soundstage has considerably decreased. I would be very interested in contributing to What Hi-Fi.
Let me know.
BTW I have a dedicated listening room with sources from Rega, Musical Fidelity & Marantz, Preamplification from Modwright, Nuforce & Promitheus audio, Amps from BelCanto, Quicksilver, Cyrus, speakers from B&W Nautilus, Dynaudio & Paradigm, cabling from PS audio, Shunyata etc.
Thanks
Sridhar Vootla

hello nishant
i am a constant reader of your WHAT HI-FI magazine and member of your forforum in uk also...as you have righty said a "RE-LAUNCH" was much awaited..also your buyers guide section needs a revamp...what i mean is indian-isation is a must ...i have bought a few things reccomended by what hi-fi like pana Tx-32lx700 lcd.....good luck for ur efforts...

state of the art !!! very nice indeed...........

What hi-fi (India) is to construct a state-of-the-art listening room and begin reviewing relevant products that are sold across India, apart from supporting local brands too ofcourse!

This is great news;

All the Best !

Can we come and listen to the 'room' once it is ready ?

Can you disclose what 'equipment' will be installed in the 'state of the art' listening room ?
Who is to make the room for What Hi-Fi ?

lots of fine audio gear !! Audition possible ????

Hello Nishant,
I am a current reviewer for Soundstage e-magazine as Sid Vootla. I used to live in Detroit but have since relocated to Pune, so my conttribution rate to Soundstage has considerably decreased. I would be very interested in contributing to What Hi-Fi.
Let me know.
BTW I have a dedicated listening room with sources from Rega, Musical Fidelity & Marantz, Preamplification from Modwright, Nuforce & Promitheus audio, Amps from BelCanto, Quicksilver, Cyrus, speakers from B&W Nautilus, Dynaudio & Paradigm, cabling from PS audio, Shunyata etc.
Thanks
Sridhar Vootla

Great !

You sure have a lot of Hi-Fi gear;

Lovely.

Is an audition possible ? Some day !!!

Thanks,

Regards,

Hi Nishant,

I am based out of Delhi currently. I am an enthusiast and known in local circles. I participate in AV forums around the globe and blog too. (Yet to start a blog for AV yet though). I usually cover most of the AV meets for personal enlightenment. Please let me know if you are looking for a correspondent in North.

Regards.

[A] Music is all about synergy
When buying, start with speakers, then the source then the amplification
[C] High-end Indian brands will sound better than low-end international brands
[D] Source + Amplification + Speakers = 95%
[E] Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead + Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 5%

Sir,

I would like to comment on this;
I do hope it is OK with you.....

[A] I agree with you - 100 % correct !

Speakers then Amplification then Source is my order of preferance.

[C] Yes - Cadence rocks !!!

[D] Source + Amplification + Speakers = 80 % [High end] to 85 % [low end]

[E] Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead + Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 15% [low - fi] to 20 % [hi-fi]

:p

Sir,

I would like to comment on this;
I do hope it is OK with you.....

[A] I agree with you - 100 % correct !

Speakers then Amplification then Source is my order of preferance.

[C] Yes - Cadence rocks !!!

[D] Source + Amplification + Speakers = 80 % [High end] to 85 % [low end]

[E] Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead + Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 15% [low - fi] to 20 % [hi-fi]

:p

Hi SHANTI,

Running through it quickly, not a great idea hi-jacking someone's thread.

Speaker -> Source -> Amp is not a bad idea at all. Mine is based in the order of final impact on sound. Amps don't affect the sound much (after a certain price point, say USD 2000). They offer similar clarity levels. The difference lies in output stages, sound equilization etc. Beyond USD 2000 difference in amp quality is not noticeable in steps of $100. Amps beyond that can be trusted blindly for having grip, command and authority over the speakers. Over that you pay more for the style quotient, brand value and not because it would bring the proportional improvement in the sound quality. Most importantly, it is easier to find a source with certain acoustic properties than an amp.

If I wanted to say that in one sentence, the point of diminishing return sets in early in case of amp than in source.

[D] and [E] based on many assumptions. Don't want to hijack this thread.

All above my personal views. I hope it helps people find a general direction.

Last edited:
Hi Nishant,

I am based out of Delhi currently. I am an enthusiast and known in local circles. I participate in AV forums around the globe and blog too. (Yet to start a blog for AV yet though). I usually cover most of the AV meets for personal enlightenment. Please let me know if you are looking for a correspondent in North.

Regards.

Yes we will eventually be looking at a correspondent from the North. Let me know what kind of stuff you can cover for us and maybe we can take it forward.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back