What home theatre system to buy

siddarthrk

Hi everyone,

I'm from Hyderabad. I'm just setting up my new home and have hit a roadblock while selecting a good HT system. Initially I looked at Bose sound touch series(soundbar+subwoofer+rear wireless speakers) which was worth 1.6Lakhs. For some reason I went ahead and checked Onkyo too(HTS 3800). This was only 40k! Both the systems sounded good with nice 5.1 effect.

While I almost decided on getting the onkyo, I saw many reviews which said that that model will give issues after 1 year of usage. Bose still is an option, but a friend suggested that for that price I can get much better systems and that I should check with experts on this forum. He suggested a lot of brands - Q Acoustics, Tannoy, Whaferdale, etc. So now I'm totally confused.

My requirements are:

1. 5.1 effect
2. Mostly movies and streaming services.
3. Some music too (70% movies, 30% music)
4. Should look good and compact. (missus is very particular and a reason why bose is still on the table despite the price)
5. Budget - prefer to keep it under 1L, but given that I'm considering Bose, I can stretch to 1.5L if the system is very compelling

I'm attaching my room layout as well. It's the living room which is open to one side. Can someone please suggest what system will be good under these conditions.

Also, does anyone know where I can check the audio quality of brands like Q Acoustics, Whaferdale, etc in Hyderabad?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180111-234350__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20180111-234350__01.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 33
Hi

Firstly ...welcome to HFV

You need to go through the posts under "Home Threatre " and "What Should I buy" This will give you a flavour of what most of us use and advise on.....

There are many models and brands....entry level is Yamaha YHT196 which starts from 27k odd onwards and then depending on features, power, size etc...can run into lakhs....

You need to trust your ears and decide whats best for you in terms of appearances, connectivity, features, overall performance and budget....

So...go window shopping...there are ample dealers in Hyderabad....never reveal your true budget.....demo / audition the systems available....make sure you listen or view the same music / movie clip for every audition which will serve as a reference for you in decision making....

SHortlist the brands and models which appeal to you and post it here.....we can then guide further whats to be done....

There are also online sites where you may get the same system cheaper or expensive.....thumb rule...ensure Manufacturer warranty is in place and also if the dealer is good.....

Don't rush and buy something that will not meet your expectations ...you will end up unhappy and regretful!

These things take time....make the time and get this closed for your own sake quickly......

All the best....

My requirements are:

1. 5.1 effect
2. Mostly movies and streaming services.
3. Some music too (70% movies, 30% music)
4. Should look good and compact. (missus is very particular and a reason why bose is still on the table despite the price)
5. Budget - prefer to keep it under 1L, but given that I'm considering Bose, I can stretch to 1.5L if the system is very compelling

I'm attaching my room layout as well. It's the living room which is open to one side. Can someone please suggest what system will be good under these conditions.

For the budget you can afford, you can easily complete a 7.1 AVR + 5.1.2 Atmos/Dts X set-up..

Also, does anyone know where I can check the audio quality of brands like Q Acoustics, Whaferdale, etc in Hyderabad?

If you get to these brands, more is not enough due to very high prices..

If you don't want to exceed your maximum budget, then look for brands that you can accommodate and complete your set-up..

My suggestion:

Denon AVR - X1400AH -40k
Polk Audio Signature Series S55 floor standers - 45k
Polk S30 Center - 20k
Polk S15 surround speakers - 20k
Polk SW125 subwoofer - 25k

You can think of adding ceiling speakers if you want the Atmos effect.

As per your requirement of Wife acceptance factor(WAF). I would suggest you to buy a pair of good looking floor standers instead of crap sounding mini speakers.
You can buy a good 5.1 in this budget but then due to the WAF you are looking for small speakers which will sound just the way they look ( SMALL).
The movie experience with a good 2.1 or 2.0 will be far better than these tiny speaker.
And these floor standers look cool and premium.
Make sure you buy front ported speakers.

Adding big surrounds is the major issue with respect to the aesthetics. The Floor standers, rather would add to the visual appeal of your living room. Search for photos on Google.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I've found a few systems during my research:

1. Tannoy 101xp
2. Q Acoustics 2000i
3. Polk as mentioned above
4. Wharfedale dx 1 se

However, i'm not finding a place where i can audition these in hyderabad. Does anyone know of a store(s) where these brands are available for demo?

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I've found a few systems during my research:

1. Tannoy 101xp
2. Q Acoustics 2000i
3. Polk as mentioned above
4. Wharfedale dx 1 se

However, i'm not finding a place where i can audition these in hyderabad. Does anyone know of a store(s) where these brands are available for demo?

try ProFx for Denon and Polk audition

PRO FX HYDERABAD:
S103, First floor, Babukhan Mall,
Somajiguda circle,
Hyderabad -500016
Tel: + 91 40 39122036
Mobi: + 91 9396556197
Timings: 10.30 am to 8.30 pm (Monday to Saturday)

i have a similar layout as yours. Bookshelf would suffice for the size of room. You could look at Polk rti or kefq series, elac b6 etc. If you have already done the provision for wiring for the surrounds then 5.1 would be ok, otherwise even 3.1 would be good enough.

If you consider looks and smaller appearance, another thing you may check once it is available in India. Polk MagniFi Max SR; yet to come to India, but ProFX facebook page teased it once, you can inquire when it would be available. it would be pretty basic compare to other systems you mentioned. But it would be with minimal footprint, rear surround is wireless as well as the sub-woofer, a lot of connectivity options and has inbuilt chromecast. But I have heard Polk MagniFi mini, and sound is not bad at all, based on that I can tell it would be better. But do an audition if you are not buying immediately.

There are lot more options/brands based on your taste and budget. You can see few reviews in this portal.
In Hyderabad, there are few HT stores for audition at Banjara hills. I have 2 different HT setups.
Please PM separately for more details.

You have good budget to start with ...Audition many AVR+ speaker combos in your city with dealers also the forum members and decide.
Each will have their own sound signature ,select the one which matches your taste and decide. For Movies a dedicated sub is must to feel the action.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back