What is Input Sensitivity of an Amplifier ? Does it affect Sound Quality ?

elangoas

Any one knows what Input Sensitivity means. I tried to crack it down by googling... But all the definitions are beyond my understanding..How is it realted to audio cables...

When googling, i read articles stating if the amplifier has good sensitivity, the audio cables even if low Quality doesn't matter....

If anyone knows abt this could you please put it in simple terms...

I am not sure about the connection between input sensitivity and cables. input sensitivity is the minimum voltage required by the amp for it to amplify a signal without clipping to it's rated capacity. Cables can matter where the loss is measureable or where it matters, for all our applications of a few ft/metres the loss is negligible and should not matter. Ideally your preamp output voltage should be atleast as much or larger than this value
cheers

Dear friend as per my knowledge abt Amplifier sensitivity is that even an amp has hi power signal preamp it requires perfect signal input with out signal loss from the source,the cable quality counts a lot,for example the gauge of the cable(Audio/Video/Speaker) along with the connectors should be according to the wattage of the setup you have.OFC cable gauge is Recomemded with Gold plated connectors as per the length we use for interconnection to avoid loses in signals.They are expensive but if one wants pure quality without loss then have to use quality cables.As i have personaly tried this once in Delhi may be 3 years erliar with Monster cable and other brand cables.The diffrence was abt 20%-30% in the sound quality and video clarity.The rest is depended on the Amplifier wattage and the manufacturers recomendation of cables.Now if the Input Connecting cable is not upto the Mark then for sure that will effect the sound quality according to the loss.Only the Cables and the connectors can sense the source signals.

regards

Back