What is the charm of a Vintage speaker?

Came across this intersting video. Although a lot of it is the opinion of the presenter (and the example used is just a few specimens), it could be a good guide for a person setting out to buy some vintage mass market speakers

Many of the older popular vintage speakers are large, have large drivers, high sensitivity. Their cabinets since they are large are more optimal for the design. The drivers used are usually made with less power handling, wide bandwidth and light cones. They also often use older tweeters which have more roll off. They should sound warm, tonally rich, fast, loud, smooth controlled and realistic. Modern speakers even of high quality and price will not match them in certain areas most of the time due to driver design, cabinet size/design. Modern speakers are sold primarily through branding, cost conscious, aesthetic and measurement aware customers. In the old days people just listened. Now everyone wants branded, cheap, good looking speakers. The budget and mid segments focus on measurements for some companies. The market is different, space is at a premium and people for the most part dont want to spend too much in audio/video, apart from TVs/phones. If people want the best of vintage and modern designs then look at modern pro audio, some of their designs are rooted in vintage designs with modern drivers. Personally I prefer the vintage drivers but then I like it loud, they can only take so much power. A little while ago I bought a pair of speakers, among the options I considered was the Klipsch Jubilee (pro version 3 way), which had the original bass bin designed by Klipsch himself if I recall correctly, for various reasons I did not go with it but it certainly has intrigued me for years. I also own some large custom horns which were made from a vintage design, they were newly made from the plans, partially because the old design is not available anymore and partially because due to space constraints I needed to mod it. I also considered the VOTT and other such designs made with Altec drivers from GPA. In the end I went with a modern pro audio design but these vintage designs are worth their salt and should be a consideration for anyone who has the budget. I should note one of the primary reasons I did not go with the vintage options was SPL, not because I thought they were bad designs. I suppose I could have lived with them and kept the volume dial a little lower, but wheres the fun in that.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back