What is the right approach for room treatment in high end audio ?

Requesting inputs from people who have made these multi-fusers themselves. It looks like multiple wooden pieces at various angles stuck on a board.

What is the best way to treat the wall behind the listener if the wall is less than 2 feet away ? Diffuser, Absorber or a mix ?
In my case, there is a sliding window behind my sweet listening spot. I just open the window to get the best kind of effects.

Coir is good as a Diffuser but not sure of its absorbtion range. I have seen Jochen Semmler do that in his house. Maybe cut it into 3x3 blocks and keep it at the side and rear reflection points .
A matteress may be an overkill but the coir Layer should be ok for it.

Requesting inputs from people who have made these multi-fusers themselves. It looks like multiple wooden pieces at various angles stuck on a board.
am also interested. I was told they are designed for frequencies in terms of their height and sequence but have no idea of the science behind the design..if any !

Shipping cost may turn out to be more than the cost of the panels itself. They are based in the US.
Yes you are absolutely right Square. If one wants to import any type of acoustic treatment, the shipping cost is going to be very high due to the bulky nature of the goods. Secondly if one decides to import EPS (expanded polystyrene) based acoustic panels, be ready for damage. When I got a box of GIK gridfusors, half of them were broken - I even started a thread on that in the forum. IMO if you want to buy branded stuff, better to find a local dealer and pay up. At-least you know the product will be in one piece. Hence now my preference for vicoustics as they have local dealer representation in India.
Cheers,
Sid

Have anyone dealt with anutone acoustics ?

@square_wave : I'm a bit late to the party, but what pain points do you hope to cure with room treatments? Asking because I recently came face to face with room treatment that totally killed the sound and needed serious reworking to get back the mojo.

Have anyone dealt with anutone acoustics ?
I did work with them. They have good options. But like jls mentioned, its good to go with a plan and then the solutions as most of these are OEM and not solution providers. I had got the ceiling tiles from them.

@square_wave : I'm a bit late to the party, but what pain points do you hope to cure with room treatments? Asking because I recently came face to face with room treatment that totally killed the sound and needed serious reworking to get back the mojo.

I was thinking of doing some simple things. Current setup is a 15 x 12 ft room. But forced to put the speakers on the long wall due to the way the living room is structured. This means that the space behind my head is only about a foot and a half max. Space behind the speakers is also similar. I was thinking of a few panels of diffusers behind the speakers and couple of panels of absorbers behind my head on the wall. I don’t need anything on the sides because the speakers fire into sofas and bookshelf full of books, curtain etc. Also there is ample space on the sides and my listening is nearfieled ( 8 ft max distance from head to speakers)

GIK has these cool looking panels with designs which blend into the décor. Hence the interest in them.

I was thinking of doing some simple things. Current setup is a 15 x 12 ft room. But forced to put the speakers on the long wall due to the way the living room is structured. This means that the space behind my head is only about a foot and a half max. Space behind the speakers is also similar. I was thinking of a few panels of diffusers behind the speakers and couple of panels of absorbers behind my head on the wall. I don’t need anything on the sides because the speakers fire into sofas and bookshelf full of books, curtain etc. Also there is ample space on the sides and my listening is nearfieled ( 8 ft max distance from head to speakers)

Why not consider getting a Microphone, measure the response at your listening position and then approach room treatment (Absorption) rather than randomly adding panels (generic thickness) which may not be that effective in addressing the actual (unknown) issue in your listening position..

My room is a lil smaller than yours 14 (W) x 11 (L) ft, and the listening position is right against the back wall.. When i measured the response, the length & height modes destroy (huge peaks) the low freq at my position..

GIK has these cool looking panels with designs which blend into the décor. Hence the interest in them.
I have the same size room, and it does give issues in the LFE side due to room modes. If you dont have a mic, you can borrow it from me, measure it, so you know what you need to treat before you buy anything.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back