What media player to buy

Tirupati

Hi guys ,

recently bought Denon 4500h and connected to firestick tv .. its playing fine .. i have lot of movies in my hard disk (1tb).. i am not able to play any of them through AVR and even from TV. TV means connected hard disk to tv and played .. video and audio coming out from TV not from AVR setup. Pls advice how can i play usb content on HT ..

Hi guys ,

recently bought Denon 4500h and connected to firestick tv .. its playing fine .. i have lot of movies in my hard disk (1tb).. i am not able to play any of them through AVR and even from TV. TV means connected hard disk to tv and played .. video and audio coming out from TV not from AVR setup. Pls advice how can i play usb content on HT ..
No you cannot play movies using avr. You need to buy a blu ray player.

I think you will have to do a couple of things. First download Kodi app on firestick through Downloader app. Next, you have to get a OTG cable which has micro USB and USB 2.0 female port. Connect your Hard drive to firestick and you can play movies on Kodi. It can play a large number of formats. Please refer to YouTube for how to connect OTG cable. Hope this helps.

Firestick won’t bitstream. For getting the best out of Denon 4500 I strongly suggest a Blu-ray player

I use JRiver in my headless server to connect to my AVR through HDMI. It works, i mean DTS, Dolby ets., try your laptop/desktop with JRiver. Bit streaming not an issue. You will enjoy JRiver as an wonderful audio player. I play ripped SACD in surround using my Denon AVR4311. Now i don't use my BD much.

I have lot of content (5.1) in hard disk and wanted to play them on HT .. am not able to play as it wont support video output directly.. even i cant play it through tv .. only option is Blu Ray player?

If Blu Ray player then can i play usb files through it ? Ang how about YouTube casting to Blu Ray grom phone will it support?

I have lot of content (5.1) in hard disk and wanted to play them on HT .. am not able to play as it wont support video output directly.. even i cant play it through tv .. only option is Blu Ray player?

If Blu Ray player then can i play usb files through it ? Ang how about YouTube casting to Blu Ray grom phone will it support?

Which TV are you using?
Asking since I have a Sony 43 inch 4K TV with HDMI port and ARC and I am playing full HD 10 bit video and even 4K content from my HDD. Receiver is Denon x1400h.
What I've done is, I've connected the HDMI out of the TV to the HDMI in of the receiver via a HDMI cable. Then connected the HDD to the TV usb and selecting the option of 'TV Audio' from the AVR remote. That's it! There are two options for output in my TV sound settings - I've selected the option to play audio from music system.
I think you will also be able to do it provided your TV unit has HDMI and ARC.

Yes you can play contents In your HD in a blu ray player. I have a basic 3D Sony Blu-ray player and I attach my 1TB HD to watch movies. It also has Netflix and YouTube built in so I can cast from mobile as well.

Below quoted one will help you for HDD contents. full hd , atmos,3D contents and it supports upto 8tb hard disk.PM if it interest u

Which TV are you using?
Asking since I have a Sony 43 inch 4K TV with HDMI port and ARC and I am playing full HD 10 bit video and even 4K content from my HDD. Receiver is Denon x1400h.
What I've done is, I've connected the HDMI out of the TV to the HDMI in of the receiver via a HDMI cable. Then connected the HDD to the TV usb and selecting the option of 'TV Audio' from the AVR remote. That's it! There are two options for output in my TV sound settings - I've selected the option to play audio from music system.
I think you will also be able to do it provided your TV unit has HDMI and ARC.

Yes i did same as you .. i have sony 3d tv .. ARC output from tv unit connected to AVR .. selected audio system in tv n no sound output coming from AVR.. if i select tv speakers then its working fine.. i guess i may connected wrong hdmi in avr ? Is any setting am missing here ?

Yes you can play contents In your HD in a blu ray player. I have a basic 3D Sony Blu-ray player and I attach my 1TB HD to watch movies. It also has Netflix and YouTube built in so I can cast from mobile as well.

Which one you have .. i need it in budget one as i cant stretch on this much

I use Sony bdp 4500 which is not available in the market. Only 1500 is available. 1500 same specs as 4500 only difference being it won’t support 3D and has a mrp of 7500

If your prefer budget model there will be compromise on supporting audio files DTS/Bitstream/atmos imho which I experienced too . Few Blu-ray players wont support DTS/Dolby files thru external HDD so do select carefully.
Atb.

If your prefer budget model there will be compromise on supporting audio files DTS/Bitstream/atmos imho which I experienced too . Few Blu-ray players wont support DTS/Dolby files thru external HDD so do select carefully.
Atb.

Any suggestions on players .. which can play my HD content and almost all formats .. i will download the movie and play through HD... How about Nvidia shield .. ? Is there any difference in Blu Ray and Android Tv's ?

Any suggestions on players .. which can play my HD content and almost all formats .. i will download the movie and play through HD... How about Nvidia shield .. ? Is there any difference in Blu Ray and Android Tv's ?
Bitstream works fine with the blu ray players using HDD. Only issue is dolby digital + and atmos content in MKV format wont work. But the same will work if the content is in M2ts format. For this issue only i went with the nvidia shield. But the players such as kodi,vlc etc were horrible especially playing atmos through HDD. To over come this i started using plex and stream movies from my PC using nvidia shield. This solved all the issues and i even stopped using blu day player and stream all my movies and tv shows using plex on nvidia shield

Bitstream works fine with the blu ray players using HDD. Only issue is dolby digital + and atmos content in MKV format wont work. But the same will work if the content is in M2ts format. For this issue only i went with the nvidia shield. But the players such as kodi,vlc etc were horrible especially playing atmos through HDD. To over come this i started using plex and stream movies from my PC using nvidia shield. This solved all the issues and i even stopped using blu day player and stream all my movies and tv shows using plex on nvidia shield

You recommending to get nvidia shield .. where do i get 2019 model ? Any offline stores in Bangalore

You recommending to get nvidia shield .. where do i get 2019 model ? Any offline stores in Bangalore
It’s not available in India. In amazon it’s sold twice the cost. If you have any friend or family visiting you from the us ask them to get. Apple TV is sold in India for 17k but not sure if it will bitstream using plex or support HDD. Please check with other FM’s.

First off, get your content network accessible.
Content on HDD is what we used to use back in college and that was almost 15 years ago.
Put the content on a NAS or simply share the folder via your laptop /PC

Now determine what budget you want to set for a media player.
If you are OK with no ATMOS, your fire TV will do absolutely fine. You fire TV will do ATMOS for Prime Video but not for local content or Netflix

If you do want ATMOS or to bitstream DTS-HD only for local content only, the cheapest (and as good as anything more expensive) option is to buy a cheap Amlogic S905 box and load CoreELEC on it. CoreELEC does a perfect job of bit streaming any format and is as good as any other device as long as you are thinking of only local content

If you want ATMOS and everything bitstreamed for local content as well as Netflix and prime, get an Apple TV 4K . Kodi has a fork called MrMC that does a great job with everything including HDR content with ATMOS for local as well as streamed.
An alternative would be Nvidia Shield but as pointed out by love4sound, it is overpriced in India

Pm sent to you.
Note - Nvidia shield won't play 3d imho

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back