What media player to buy

No Shield plays 3d.I have seen so many 3d movies and not once i faced issues
Which model 3D TV you have? Is it plays just like that or with some add-on on Kodi?.
Ur TV recognize as 3d movie and plays in 3d?
Is it 3d SBS or 3d iso file?
This is new news to me.

Which model 3D TV you have? Is it plays just like that or with some add-on on Kodi?.
Ur TV recognize as 3d movie and plays in 3d?
Is it 3d SBS or 3d iso file?
This is new news to me.
I have sony w950c. Tv will not recognize it. You need to go to 3d option in the tv and enable either side by side or over under based on the content.I stream using plex. I have tried in kodi,Mx and vlc player as well and it works.

I have sony w950c. Tv will not recognize it. You need to go to 3d option in the tv and enable either side by side or over under based on the content.I stream using plex. I have tried in kodi,Mx and vlc player as well and it works.
TV should recognise automatically otherwise it is pseudo 3D (If your TV is capable of identifying the 3D content thru hdmi)to my knowledge which all 3d TV use to do for normal video files which is handled by TV itself not the source (player)

TV should recognise automatically otherwise it is pseudo 3D to my knowledge which all 3d TV use to do for normal video files which is handled by TV itself not the source .

All 3d formats work in nvidia shield. Almost all 3d movies come in either side by side or over under. And no they are not pseudo 3d. See example in the image. Tv will play them as below and you have to choose accordingly. Playing directly from blu ray disc is different as it will directly play as 3d. For 3d movied downloaded and played through HDD this is how it works most cases

Attachments

• side by side.jpg
    side by side.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 21
  • over under.jpg
    over under.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
All 3d formats work in nvidia shield. Almost all 3d movies come in either side by side or over under. And no they are not pseudo 3d. See example in the image. Tv will play them as below and you have to choose accordingly. Playing directly from blu ray disc is different as it will directly play as 3d. For 3d movied downloaded and played through HDD this is how it works most cases
That is what iam saying it should get recognized by TV automatically as Blu-ray player source.we should not teach them that it is 3D file that's how 3d Blu-ray player should work without interaction imho.
Have you ever used 3D media player with 3D TV configured for automatic recognizing option .if yes you will come to know what iam saying.

Last edited:
That is what iam saying it should get recognized by TV automatically as Blu-ray player source.we should not teach them that it is 3D file that's how 3d Blu-ray player should work without interaction imho.
Have you ever used 3D media player with 3D TV configured for automatic recognizing option .if yes you will come to know what iam saying.
We are all watching 3d in nvidia shield and if for you that is not 3d fine.3d tv has been stopped for years. And all 3d tv comes with option side by side or over under. That is how 3d works. side by side and over under content will not be detected as 3d but once enabled they work and they are 3d contents. Google and you will know and please don't explain wrongly and deviate from OP. If you want, start a separate thread and enlighten the FM's with your knowledge on 3d

Last edited:
We are all watching 3d in nvidia shield and if for you that is not 3d fine.3d tv has been stopped for years. And all 3d tv comes with option side by side or over under. That is how 3d works. side by side and over under content will not be detected as 3d but once enabled they work and they are 3d contents. Google and you will know and please don't explain wrongly and deviate from OP. If you want, start a separate thread and enlighten the FM's with your knowledge on 3d
I am not explaining something wrong here.
Anyways thanks for inputs and suggestions.

I am not explaining something wrong here.
Anyways thanks for inputs and suggestions.
I guess you have not heard about Stereoscopy 3d. All movies in 3d we download are Stereoscopy 3d. You are talking about real 3d. Real 3d will be available only in blu ray. Here the OP has requested for help in selecting the right media player to play contents from his HDD. so real 3d not working in shield is not a problem at all as we will never get real 3d content available to download. And also you wont find much difference between both. I am sorry for loosing my cool. I could have explained it more politely cheers.

Last edited:
Hi guys ,

recently bought Denon 4500h and connected to firestick tv .. its playing fine .. i have lot of movies in my hard disk (1tb).. i am not able to play any of them through AVR and even from TV. TV means connected hard disk to tv and played .. video and audio coming out from TV not from AVR setup. Pls advice how can i play usb content on HT ..

Android TV Box (Xiaomi Mi Box) for abt 6K on amazon.in.. Will play most movie formats, supports up to 1.5TB external HDD, which i have personally checked.. Should do 2 TB too..

It is also capable of 5.1 output to AVR from amazon prime app, netflix too i guess.. rest of the movie streaming services are 2 channel. So shouldnt be a problem there..

If it is just playing movies from HDD to AVR and if you want bit-stream capabilities, then any inexpensive Android TV box will do it..

Now i am watching movies through PLEX and it doing great job even though am not satisfied with local content played. Nvidia shield is not available in market.. as of now am using PLEX for HDD content.

Hi guys ,

recently bought Denon 4500h and connected to firestick tv .. its playing fine .. i have lot of movies in my hard disk (1tb).. i am not able to play any of them through AVR and even from TV. TV means connected hard disk to tv and played .. video and audio coming out from TV not from AVR setup. Pls advice how can i play usb content on HT ..
Try E-grade media player.. this support many kind video and audio file formats

Now i am watching movies through PLEX and it doing great job even though am not satisfied with local content played. Nvidia shield is not available in market.. as of now am using PLEX for HDD content.
How are you watching in plex? I use plex in my shield and stream movies from my PC.

When you stream movies from PC to Shield doesn't it consume internet data ? I use Shield and Plex but with a 5TB HDD attached to the Shield.

If u watch only the movies you download from internet and if your tv is not the hi end ones with accurate colors, don't bother getting a blu ray player. That's too much money for spinning a disk once in a while. Also blu ray players under 15k are more concentrated on features than their decent picture quality.

I personally cannot stand any of those Chinese dumb media boxes due to their poor ui, and bugs. Last year I bought one after reading rave reviews over the internet. The damn thing had major flaws in the os. Despite being Android 8 , it could only do one app at a time, and lot of other issues here and there. Also my brother had another one, from another brand with 4gb , it also had another set of bugs. Stay away from them if you don't want a headache and local looking thing. Nvidia shield or Xbox One S would be my pick under 20k. I bought xbox One x for playing pubg and realised that the bullshit thing need monthlysubscription for playing online. I played only one movie so far on it -dunkirk 4k hdr. It was better than the Netflix 4k hdr which is all I could compare it with. Again I did not compare same movie, so it's a flawed comparison. I have a old pioneer bdp 51fd which is good with standard blu ray but collecting dust due to the fact that I own only less than 10 blu rays. I use that primarly for audio cd that also not much nowadays. If you passively watch movies downloaded from internet, don't buy a blu ray player.

When you stream movies from PC to Shield doesn't it consume internet data ? I use Shield and Plex but with a 5TB HDD attached to the Shield.
Technically it shouldn't. Only data consumption should be for the metadata but not sure how plex works. Before i had internet in my area i set up a local area network using my mobile and will disable the internet to stream movies from my pc using ps3 and ps3 media server. I have never checked the data consumption as i have a plan of 1500 GB. I don't like the players like kodi, vlc and mx player. Lot of audio issues especially in atmos. Plex is flawless

Ok, because someone had warned me about streaming content from a media server/ source to a media player within the house. My thinking was that the wifi (without the internet) would work. But my experience also showed that if internet is not working or disconnected from the ISP side, then the wifi routers cant stream even from a local source (within the house). That means the local streaming is consuming precious FUP ?

Ok, because someone had warned me about streaming content from a media server/ source to a media player within the house. My thinking was that the wifi (without the internet) would work. But my experience also showed that if internet is not working or disconnected from the ISP side, then the wifi routers cant stream even from a local source (within the house). That means the local streaming is consuming precious FUP ?
Well since you have brought this up i will check and let you know. In shield you will loose audio in height channels in kodi and other players. I thought issue from my side only but when i googled came across few shield owners who face the same issue. Here in our forum also one member confirmed. So when i started using plex never had the issue

Last edited:
Not sure but maybe I should check now. I use Plex on firestick through wifi from PC but as there is plenty of data available for me I never really bothered.

Back