What might be causing less warmth in SQ

amit11

In my setup I had done some change since 5 months, but after so many months I realize I am not enjoying it. :(
I am not able to find what is causing this. I will try to explain.

Original setup: [sounding good]

apple ipad via wifi --> apple airport express having Airplay --> SPDIF ---> DAC

Revised setup : [more clarity, less warmth]

apple ipad via wifi --> Raspberry PI having Volumio with Airplay --> USB Out to Topping D10 , being used only as USB to SPDIF convertor ---> DAC (same as above)

Would volumio might be causing it, or the Topping D10.

Hi amit11 :)

You probably have to elaborate a lot more on the total chain, amp and speakers too. For fellow forum members to give any reasonable guidance. And if you are serious about sound quality, please ditch that Apple air play as there are too many variables with an air play stream. All the best :)

Would volumio might be causing it, or the Topping D10.
Are you using LPSU to power your Raspberry pi / Volumio? LPSU upgrade usually makes things warmer. Most Commonly, The power supply to Raspberry might be a culprit. Also it doesn't use galvanically isolated USB & the bus is shared with RJ45 ports. Has lots of digital glare, I was astonished to see how superior Allo+USB bridge was, in this regard. Using a HAT with spdif out (thereby avoiding topping d10 altogether) is a better solution. Too many devices cables, power supplies will be noisy and bright.

Most of the Cheaper Chinese DACs and converters from SMSL and Topping etc always sound very thin and bright in my experience. Experimenting with better power cords and LPSU has always yielded better results, so Topping d10 might be a bigger problem as well.

Either way you should look at keep it simple approach, keep it minimal and as direct as possible (I ended up with buying a streamer precisely for the same reason).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back