What New Sound Card?

Thad - did you consider the EMU 1212m and 1616m for you purposes. They seem right up your alley. And they are fairly inexpensive too.

The 1616M is far too expensive.

I have the sense to go with an external box this time, having always had an internal card before. One day I might want to use it with the laptop.

The choice has not been along lines of strict logic, I guess. Part of it has been subduing a gadgetphile's desire for sockets, knobs and buttons, and going, instead, for simplicity. Also, for an external unit, it looks durable and well-built.

By the way: the Chennai dealers for Echo Digital quote Rs16,000 :mad: --- I have just heard from the Singapore dealers a quote of S$350, around Rs11500, or GB156, which is what I have seen on one UK site. How ridiculous is the Indian price!

Swizer, the Singapore distributors, tell me that they sell direct and do not have other outlets, and that they have stock. They answered my e-mail immediately, which is always a good sign.

(please excuse a quick reply... going out shortly...)

Thad, considering your requirements, the Echo Audiofire sounds good. Does the fact that it has only balanced outputs matter at all?

Well, I used to live in Rip-Off Britain, where it was once cheaper to buy a Brit-Built car abroad and import it! But things have improved there a lot, and the internet, especially, has caused electronics prices to plummet. Not here... Yet... Indian businesses are in for a shock one day. They must be "making hay while the sun still shines!

Thad, considering your requirements, the Echo Audiofire sounds good. Does the fact that it has only balanced outputs matter at all?
I understand that both in/out will work balanced/unbalanced --- but placing my Spirit Notepad mixer in the loop copes with that anyway. The M-Audio AV40s accept both balanced and unbalanced input, so even if I connect direct to them, it will be fine.

Well, I used to live in Rip-Off Britain, where it was once cheaper to buy a Brit-Built car abroad and import it! But things have improved there a lot, and the internet, especially, has caused electronics prices to plummet. Not here... Yet... Indian businesses are in for a shock one day. They must be "making hay while the sun still shines!

Way to go Thad !! You had me cheering from the sidelines .. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

cheers

Well, I'm happy with my new M-Audio speakers, but they belong to another thread. The sound card topic is not quite such good news...

Bought the Audiofire2. It suffers from the latency problems on my PC even more than my old card did. This may be to do with the fact that the Firewire is an add-in card, rather than native, so the PCI bus is still involved, even though this is a PCIe card. I am cursing myself for ever buying a board without firewire --- especially as I have, in the past, very occasionally used it to connect to a handycam that spends most of its life in the cupboard.

Hey-ho... time for that new PC...

Congrats Thad for getting the sound card and speaker. Well the intial ride will be a bit bumpy and but slowly you will get there. My experience is very recent. :)

Hi,

I have been behind this Auzentech X-Fi HD sound card, seems it is HDMI v1.3a Compliant, 24p Compatible, Non-Downsampling, Native PCI Express Soundcard.

Auzentech, Inc. X-Fi Home Theater HD : World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

hthdpackage_total_lg.jpg

I am quite impressed by its features, and presently it costs about 235-270$, just want your opinion on whether it is worth the bucks!

Cheers!

Disclaimer: The image is the property of Auzentech.com and I dont claim any authorship of this image posted here nor the contents in the website that is driven by the link provided:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi,

I have been behind this Auzentech X-Fi HD sound card, seems it is HDMI v1.3a Compliant, 24p Compatible, Non-Downsampling, Native PCI Express Soundcard.

I am quite impressed by its features, and presently it costs about 235-270$, just want your opinion on whether it is worth the bucks!

Cheers!

Disclaimer: The image is the property of Auzentech.com and I dont claim any authorship of this image posted here nor the contents in the website that is driven by the link provided:lol::lol::lol::lol:

AS on paper this card has amazing specs but having lot of issues regarding bit-streaming HD audio through receiver and its drivers are having stability issues.

I had even started thread for this card
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/6037-auzentech-hometheater-hd.html#post74321

I was thinking of purchasing Asus HDAV 1.3 but I play lot of PC games so avoided ASUS card due to its lack of good gaming Audio experience (as read through internet).

Well, I'm happy with my new M-Audio speakers, but they belong to another thread. The sound card topic is not quite such good news...

Bought the Audiofire2. It suffers from the latency problems on my PC even more than my old card did. This may be to do with the fact that the Firewire is an add-in card, rather than native, so the PCI bus is still involved, even though this is a PCIe card. I am cursing myself for ever buying a board without firewire --- especially as I have, in the past, very occasionally used it to connect to a handycam that spends most of its life in the cupboard.

Hey-ho... time for that new PC...

Are you suffering from this? Q. Is Firewire 800 backwards compatible?

Just a pointer that may be useful

Cheers

No Gobble, I only bought a Firewire 400 card, and the Audiofire is a 400 device. Thanks for the thought, though.

I'm using dpclat again, and I can tell, from the sound breaking down, that a great patch of red, latency off the screen, is just about to appear.

AS on paper this card has amazing specs but having lot of issues regarding bit-streaming HD audio through receiver and its drivers are having stability issues.

I had even started thread for this card
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/6037-auzentech-hometheater-hd.html#post74321

I was thinking of purchasing Asus HDAV 1.3 but I play lot of PC games so avoided ASUS card due to its lack of good gaming Audio experience (as read through internet).

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance! Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess you are having creative fatality? sound card, how is it and what is the cost of the same? its HD capalities?

Cheers!

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance! Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess you are having creative fatality? sound card, how is it and what is the cost of the same? its HD capalities?

Cheers!

Card is good but when i bought it around 2 years back, it was expensive don't remember its price though but definitely it was more than 10 thousand Rs.

As far as HD Audio, it is incapable of bit-streaming or decoding HD audio cause it does not have on board capabilities. It has only DTS and Dolby Digital decoding on board.
It shines in games and music , I have true 5.1 gaming headphones when I play game (mostly FPS and role playing) the details it produces are truly enjoyable. Even with music sound produced is very good.:)

Well, I understood that the patch was only needed for SP2. Don't MS usually wrap these patches up into subsequent Service Packs?

I guess I could do a backup and try it!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back