What should I buy for budget XXX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JayaRaa : Thanks for your balanced view. I will try my best to maintain the list - coz as much as others need I need it as well. But this forum software is not allowing to update my first post, which is frustrating.

@tuff : Thanks for the pointers - gadget guru / ndtv site. Anything helpful is appreciated.

We have
1)Yamaha sound bar Yas -207( comes with a subwoofer) in living room. Bought for 27k
2)Q acoustics bt3 ( active bookshelf speakers) bought for 36k in my dad's room
3)Genelec 8040b with genelec 7060b 2.1 bought for 3.3 lakhs in my room.

When comparing the bt3 with Yamaha the bt3 sounds good ( lesser bass though) according to me and my mom.

But My dad likes the Yamaha sound bar more than the q acoustics bt3 . And my parents il are the end user for both the systems coz i almost always listen in genelecs.
That's how choices vary.. which makes it really difficult to make a list .

Different people like different systems.
You will surely make a list of gear under each budget.
Just like many other websites like what HiFi do.
But people might not agree with your list as their views will be different.

Rating speakers on sound quality depends a lot on the amp, source used. Some might use a expensive amp to listen and some a cheap amp. Rating speakers and amplifier separately will be a problem because of this.

I have a crown xls 1502 @tuff knows how good it is.
But people have come to a conclusion that it will not sound good without even listening to it, just because its a amp built for professional use.

You can add the crown 1502 amp to your list.

There are n number of factors affecting people's choice that's why making single solution for everyone one will not be possible.

I think you should categorize the systems.
Like system for good bass ( but sightly muddy) system for tighter bass but less deep.
System for movies.
System for music.
System with warm/neutral/bright sound.
System for use with subwoofer.
System for use without subwoofer.
System for use with compressed audio.
System for use with high res audio.
Subwoofer for treated rooms/ untreated rooms/for movies/for music.
Amp for speakers with low impedance
Bright/neutral/warm amplifiers.
AVR with possibility of adding a power amp.
AVR without pre outs.
Speakers for use with AVR.
Speakers with good WAF( good looking speakers)
speakers mainly for sound quality ( looks/size don't matter)
Speakers for dedicated home theatres/for placement behind screen.
Easy to use speakers.
Active speakers.
Professional systems which works well in home use.
Studio speakers which work well in home use.
DAC- neutral/warm/bright.

Create certain categories and gradually to add systems to each category.
Your motive is right.. but IMO you have to take different approach.

Last edited:
Others are welcome to do the list as you are suggesting. But my objective is to make things as simple as possible - Just like the list provided by AverageJoeAudiophile. That is how Apple has won - making things dead simple for end users.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions for sound bars @prateekatasniya

Am I the only one here who feels sometimes the dealers are lurking here as audiophiles, who want to sell you ferrari when you want a honda/toyota.. I hope I am wrong though :)

Am I the only one here who feels sometimes the dealers are lurking here as audiophiles, who want to sell you ferrari when you want a honda/toyota.. I hope I am wrong though :)
Dealers mention that they are dealers.
I'm a doctor

Others are welcome to do the list as you are suggesting. But my objective is to make things as simple as possible - Just like the list provided by AverageJoeAudiophile. That is how Apple has won - making things dead simple for end users.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions for sound bars @prateekatasniya
Connect active speakers to TV aux out for movies and mobile aux out or Bluetooth dongle with aux out for music.
Nothing can be more simple than this.
Seriously.
No issues of buying a matching amp etc.
One will get active speakers in every budget. Starting form 200 rupees to infinite amount.
I myself have all active systems ( the three systems I mentioned above.

The forum diy members make some super stuff for a fraction of the money of a branded speaker. You can mostly get the best bang for your money if one is on budget.

I hope this helps the average joes .

Dealers mention that they are dealers.
I'm a doctor
Not all dealers will do that. I could name atleast 6 people who I know are dealers but pretend to be audiophiles here on the forum. We all know them.

OP good initiative. But try and turn it down maybe by a notch or two. There are senior members here who have posted their view to which you have just retaliated with hostility. The members here are to help each other (most of the time).

Not all dealers will do that. I could name atleast 6 people who I know are dealers but pretend to be audiophiles here on the forum. We all know them.

OP good initiative. But try and turn it down maybe by a notch or two. There are senior members here who have posted their view to which you have just retaliated with hostility. The members here are to help each other (most of the time).
Rightly said @celester340

I agree with you. It was not intentional. But when someone did cut and paste the same reply from another thread, there is something wrong (which is mostly preaching / spreading FUD factor)

Anyways I will try to keep my cool. My motive is to make things simple. Hope we can forget our small differences and help each other as you said.

May be some want their audio nirvana to be 100% naked whereas I like with mine in a bikini ;)

Last edited:
All models I hv listed hv good reviews - is google also having a sneaky agenda here ? :)

Btw, it is just a starting point - I am willing to add more models, depending on others recommendation here.

Last edited:
The OP's idea is actually good and simple.

Why not ?

A list like this won't hurt. All vital info. at a glance.

Many a music enthusiasts have very little idea of stuff available in market, specially for people from small cities or noobs and novices

Except metros there aren't places to audition equipment either. One has to bite the bullet w/o knowing what they gonna face.

This may save a lot of new threads of people asking the same questions over n over again.

Last edited:
Given the number of "what should I buy" questions on the forum, I think this is a good idea.
It would.be good to add a caveat that these system configurations are just suggestions, not definitive answers. They should be used as a starting point, so when someone starts researching into what to buy they have a place to start.
It is impossible to make a list that everyone will agree with, so let's not attempt to make that, and let's not view it like that.

Found a gem for less than 5k - edifier c2. Extraordinary sound for the money.
Who says you have to spend huge money to enjoy good sound?
I feel it sounds better than more expensive boston acoustics soundware xs 2.1
Don't know why these companies stop producing good models like these?
Only negative is headphone out is not amplified I guess.

Friends,
Do you guys have any suggestion for good bluetooth speaker? (entry level portable speakers)

Dont want to spend 20k on a bluetooth guys - I am thinking more of JBL or Portronics or boat - all under 2k - which one is better?

I think my theory is right - this forum is trolled by dealers who want to sell high margin gear to unsuspecting enthusiasts. When you ask for entry level systems there is hardly any suggestions here. The so called audiophiles should check some facts before falling prey to them in the below links -

I know its politically incorrect to post this here - but someone has to bell the cat :)

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5565
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Audio_woo

Last edited:
Audio is a very personal thing. Which is why we need to take advice from forum members. Forum as this is for debates and exchanges of ideas. If a list like you posted above is all one needs, why come to a forum?....

@tuff : Audio is not a girl friend to be so personal - if ipod is good, it is good - there is nothing personal about it. Also asking why come to this forum is uncalled for. There is nothing that says if you want a list, don't come here OR if u want endless spinning the wheel only come here. Also neither you nor me own this forum. So let us try to be civil.

I think my theory is right - this forum is trolled by dealers who want to sell high margin gear to unsuspecting enthusiasts.
Not sure, you mean these so called "unsuspecting enthusiasts" don't know how to budget for purchases etc. So for instance, they plan to buy a Maruti Dzire and end up buying an Audi A4 because of dealer inducement? (Not sure how they would get financial credit for that in the first place but that is another discussion entirely) . I wish I had that kind of financial flexibility, plan to buy something for 20k but spend 2 lac instead. I think we need to give more credit to our forum members. Regardless of whether the forum is trolled by dealers I am sure our FM's are mature enough to stick to their budgets. Anyways you may be right, FM's please do watch out for dealers trolling our forum and please stick to your budget only.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Its called FUD factor - telling someone u are buying junk, etc. Everyone want to buy some quality item - so telling expensive stuff only can give good quality sound, they twist the logic in their favour. That is why u see cables selling in 1000's of rupees. Not to mention about other stuff :)

Dont want to spend 20k on a bluetooth guys - I am thinking more of JBL or Portronics or boat - all under 2k - which one is better?

If we go by your theory then you become a JBL, portronics dealer :)

All I am trying to tell you is you are over thinking too much and assuming too many things

What @sidvee is said is absolutely correct. If I am fooled to by a 2 lac product when my budget is 20000 INR then its my fault rather then anyone elses

Everyone's perspective of high and low end will be different
You will find many who would even feel buying a INR 2000 Bluetooth speaker is sheer waste of money

I am not going to take this thread further off topic but felt I should write what I had to being an old forum member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back