What Should I Buy?

crn12

Consider me as a kid going to play home for the first time, this is how I am entering this forum..(Exaggerating very little though) but I am a novice in this..

I recently bought a 42" Plasma C10 Series from Panny, & I would need a HT which I would use it mainly for 70% Movies & 30% Music. The room size is 10Ft by 12 Ft.

My budget is for less than 30K, I don't mind a HTiB or a build on from scratch, I would need this system to be good for the next 8 - 10 Yrs easily.

So I would prefer building bit by bit, rather than a Htib, however I don't mind looking at the Htib if its worth it (VFM) & flexibility should be inherent factors.

Please share your feedback

PS: I have a 3 yr old son, who is notorious in breaking things, so I would restrict myself to book shelf speakers & not floor mounted ones..However I would not consider this to be the last resort, if the feedback is floor mounted, then be it!

onkyo HT-S3200 SHOULD MEET UR NEEDS..............SEARCH OVER FOR REVIEWS AND DECIDE...........AVMAX Magazine september issue has given it 3.5 stars out of 5.

Last edited:
Thanks Mandeep for the quick reply, I did look at the Onkyo HT S3200 yday, however not to bring it down, I thought it was bad :sad:

crn, nothign to feel bad, the entry level Onkyo's are not that good. Since you have an upgrade path, there are many options.

Can you read the various threads in HT setup sub-forum? We have discussed many under 30k systems. Pls open athread when u have specific queries.

If you want to build the system bit-by-bit, then look at a pair of bookshelves and AVR for within 25-30k to start with. Then you can slowly add the Sub, Centre and surrounds. The 3 additions would be another 25-30k approx.

1. AVR for 15k: You can get the basic model of Onkyo, Yamaha or Pioneer within 15k. If you want higher models you look at models from these companies 2007-08 lineup. Few dealers have them and give them at good rates. Another option is AVR of Sherwood.

2. Speakers for 10-15k: Wharfedale 9.1 or Polk TSi100 or PSB Alpha B1 or Polk RTi A1 or Wharfedale 10.1 or Mordaunt Short Avant 902i

If you want the entire setup now within 30k, then you need to look at Indian brands for AVR and Speakers.

Or else HTib of Onkyo, Yamaha. This would be the last option. Here also if you get a HTiB for 20k and you can add a pair of 10k bookshelves for the Front Speakers and enjoy 7.1 system for 30k.

Raghav

If you want to build the system bit-by-bit, then look at a pair of bookshelves and AVR for within 25-30k to start with. Then you can slowly add the Sub, Centre and surrounds. The 3 additions would be another 25-30k approx.

1. AVR for 15k: You can get the basic model of Onkyo, Yamaha or Pioneer within 15k. If you want higher models you look at models from these companies 2007-08 lineup. Few dealers have them and give them at good rates. Another option is AVR of Sherwood.

2. Speakers for 10-15k: Wharfedale 9.1 or Polk TSi100 or PSB Alpha B1 or Polk RTi A1 or Wharfedale 10.1 or Mordaunt Short Avant 902i

If you want the entire setup now within 30k, then you need to look at Indian brands for AVR and Speakers.

Or else HTib of Onkyo, Yamaha. This would be the last option. Here also if you get a HTiB for 20k and you can add a pair of 10k bookshelves for the Front Speakers and enjoy 7.1 system for 30k.

Raghav

Raghav, I think I will explore more on the HtiB from Onkyo & Yam, & also look at adding the bookshelves...This idea sounds great in fact. :clapping:

I have demoed Dennon at the ProFX showroom at Barton Ctr in Blore & the Yamaha Dealer in Jyngr 4th Blk.

I liked the Polk Audio Speakers & the Mission speakers

However as I am typing this, I had this qs in mind, if I buy a Htib will I be able to configure that to any speakers, I mean would the efficiency of the speakers be the same?

This is the budget what I have thought in mind: To start building I have thought of Quarterly Addition of components, it is restricted to INR 30,000 (Oct - Nov 2009) then comes down to Rs 15000 (B/w Feb - Mar 2010) & finally Rs 10000 (June - July 2010)

I can stretch by little by the last Qtr

Pls clarify

Cheers, Nitin

Last edited:
1. If you want to go HTiB route try to get the best you like in 30k (onkyo 5205 is one option) . However, the main thing here is that the AVR should be 7.1. Most 30k HTiBs have only 5.1 AVR and cannot have speakers added later on for 7.1 Here you will have 2 speakers spare when you add a pair of bookshelves. These can be used in another room (Zone) powered by same AVR and you can choose which Zone to play.

First buy HTiB like Onkyo5205. Then add Wharfedale 10.1 or Polk RTi A1 or MS Aviano1. The 10k left in June2010 can be used for DVDP or any other system upgrade.

2. Step by Step Components: This I feel will give you a better system.
First buy 5.1 AVR (20k) + Polk TSi100 (10k)
Second add the centre and surrounds for 15k.
Third add Polk Sub PSW110 for 10k.

Regards,
Raghav
Raghav, I think I will explore more on the HtiB from Onkyo & Yam, & also look at adding the bookshelves...This idea sounds great in fact. :clapping:

I have demoed Dennon at the ProFX showroom at Barton Ctr in Blore & the Yamaha Dealer in Jyngr 4th Blk.

I liked the Polk Audio Speakers & the Mission speakers

However as I am typing this, I had this qs in mind, if I buy a Htib will I be able to configure that to any speakers, I mean would the efficiency of the speakers be the same?

This is the budget what I have thought in mind: To start building I have thought of Quarterly Addition of components, it is restricted to INR 30,000 (Oct - Nov 2009) then comes down to Rs 15000 (B/w Feb - Mar 2010) & finally Rs 10000 (June - July 2010)

I can stretch by little by the last Qtr

Pls clarify

Cheers, Nitin

Thanks Raghav, I now strongly feel the 2nd option is the best, 5.1AVR for 20K, is one thing which is making my worry or I dont know what options I have, I have checked a few AVR's during this weekend from Dennon, Onkyo & Yam etc...But nothing is in my reach of 20K

Appreciate if you could help if I have any options here? Thanks Much

Thanks Raghav, I now strongly feel the 2nd option is the best, 5.1AVR for 20K, is one thing which is making my worry or I dont know what options I have, I have checked a few AVR's during this weekend from Dennon, Onkyo & Yam etc...But nothing is in my reach of 20K

Appreciate if you could help if I have any options here? Thanks Much

Crn, if you have somebody in middle east, usa, singapore you can get avrs for much cheaper there. I mean an onkyo 606 which retails at around 35k-40k will cost only half that over there,which puts it in your budget. You can buy just two front speakers for the time being and later upgrade. Bookshelves like ca s30 for 7k would serve you well for the time being. Just an option I am suggesting, think about it.

Hi crn,

What raghav has given you is a very good option. I will try to give you a second option.

Try to get a Marantz SR301 AVR. It may cost you between 13-15k.It has a very good reputation among AVRs in that price range, and it will serve you well for your 30% music requirements. And go for Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 for around 15k.It has very good bass that you may not miss a Sub for now.Down the line, as and when your budget allows, you can add the Whrafedale center and surrounds and finally go for the wharf sub. After an year or two you can always upgrade your AVR.This route needs a little patience but well worth it.

Thats my two cents.

cheers,
sri

OK, even if movies are your forte, I dont think you need to go exactly and specifically for a 7.1 system. A 5.1 will serve the purpose considering the content and the encoding that we have available in the market.

Do consider the Canton Movie packages. They are a set of small speakers with a subwoofer. I dont exactly recall their prices. But I think this speaker set alone would cost somewhere close to 30K. This is a satellite speaker combination which does not sound too bad with music. At least as compared to the few Onkyos I have heard.

As otherwise, what Srikarkav says, I fully agree with. I would just go ahead and say you could look for even an SR3001 instead of SR301. They should be available pretty cheap. But the problem is here you may have to go look at some second hand stuff. Not that that is bad, but for a beginner this could be a tough introduction - potentially.

You have already been given one good option of Marantz SR301. Wharfedale 9.2 are also very good to start with. You may start with 9.1 speakers also and save 4k but will miss some bass extension.

Good AVRs for 20k is difficult with new models through official route. However, in grey market you will get many options. Denon 1610, Pioneer VSX-919, Onkyo 507 all will be around 20k in grey market.

If you want official then I suggest you look at models from 1-2 yrs back line up. Dealers will sell that at discounts. Also demo pieces can be an option.

Raghav

SR301 is quite old but SR3001 is still listed on the website below and within your budget. Also a shop in mumbai had the pioneer 917 for under 15k. This was quite good for connections and had a front USB port also.

Raghav

marantz

In that case, lets pray that they update their website regularly:)

Thanks guys for all the feedback :)

Let me list down the options you have given me so far, considering the budget:

Amps:

1) Marantz SR3001 / SR301 for approx 18K
2) Pioneer 917 - Under 15K
3) Denon 1610, Pioneer VSX-919, Onkyo 507 - All under 20K

Canton Movie Package - I tried to search this on Google but couldn't find anything, appreciate if you could throw me their link

Speakers:

1) Mission - M33i or M 34i - Abt 18K (Tower Speakers)
2) Sub : Polk Audio - Ned to check their quote
3) Polk TSi100 - 10K (Book Shelves)
4) Wharfedale 9.2 - Abt 16 K
5) CA S30 - 7k (Books Shelves)

The Source:

1) Sony - PS3 ( I have no idea if this is a good choice, but this will set me back by a good amount)
2) Pioneer - Players ( This was recommended to me by the Panasonic guys)
3) Sony - Players
4) Philips

I need to have HDMI connections for clarity, when I watch movies

One more thing, you have recommended me to try the grey market, can you name some places in Blore where I can find this out or if you have any contacts you can guide me to them by a PM

National Market is a good pace but do not know any specific shop there.

Thanks guys for all the feedback :)

Let me list down the options you have given me so far, considering the budget:

Amps:

1) Marantz SR3001 / SR301 for approx 18K
2) Pioneer 917 - Under 15K
3) Denon 1610, Pioneer VSX-919, Onkyo 507 - All under 20K

Canton Movie Package - I tried to search this on Google but couldn't find anything, appreciate if you could throw me their link

Speakers:

1) Mission - M33i or M 34i - Abt 18K (Tower Speakers)
2) Sub : Polk Audio - Ned to check their quote
3) Polk TSi100 - 10K (Book Shelves)
4) Wharfedale 9.2 - Abt 16 K
5) CA S30 - 7k (Books Shelves)

The Source:

1) Sony - PS3 ( I have no idea if this is a good choice, but this will set me back by a good amount)
2) Pioneer - Players ( This was recommended to me by the Panasonic guys)
3) Sony - Players
4) Philips

I need to have HDMI connections for clarity, when I watch movies

One more thing, you have recommended me to try the grey market, can you name some places in Blore where I can find this out or if you have any contacts you can guide me to them by a PM

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back