What to do with my room?

Drivers are not that close to the floor in my opinion. Maybe I need to post another pic with grills off. Speakers are front ported, so the port is closest to the ground. But anyways, I am thinking of getting a new pair of stereo speakers (if not maggies).

Still undecided on the carpet. It is easier to keep the floor clean than the carpet as entire colonies of germs can develop inside the carpet undetected. I did purchase one carpet for this area long time back, but it is rolled up an kept away. People walk in with their shoes on. My mother thinks it is impolite to ask everyone to take of shoes, and at times it just slips from our minds to ask people to take shoes off.

Pulling speakers farther away is not possible as they would get behind the side sofas then. Layout is final as per missus.

I pull the speakers away from the wall whenever listening. They are pushed back by the cleaning maid.

There are no surround speakers as of now but hoping to get them by next month. Wondering whether go for 7 or keep it at 5.

Can wall paper be used on the acoustic panels?

The recommended height for the tweeters is at ear level of the listener when seated, I also think the speakers are a bit too low.

I dont think wall paper will do the trick-it won't absorb the reflected sound.

I am open to change everything.
Turns out you're not open to changing speaker height, not open to changing speaker spread, not open to laying down a rug, not open to corner bass traps unless they're "invisible", not open to wall treatments unless they're as thin as wallpaper, etc.

Since you're certainly not open to changing "everything" as you posted above, can you make a list of changes you really are open to? This way, we won't waste your time with useless suggestions.

sdurani - cool down mate. You are making a suggestion and I am telling my reasons of not going for them.
As I said, I want to optimize for the center listening position, so I can compromise for people sitting on side couches.
Speakers can be moved up, but as I said the drivers as not as close to the floor I feel. I will post more pics with grills off.
Speaker spread can not be increased else they go behind the side sofas.
I never said wall treatment has to be as thin as wall paper - please read first before making such statements. I just said can it be covered with wall paper to match the decor.

What makes you imagine that I am not open to corner treatment?

Last edited:
Hi anm

Pull your speakers from the backwall. Add a carpet/rug between the speakers and the listening chair. Put 4 small triangular pillows at the four top corners of the room where the ceiling and the side walls meet

thanks prem. I do pull out the speakers when listening.
Corner pillow is a nice idea, I am thinking of how to camouflage them, and also about corners where walls meet the floor.
How to decide on the size of these pillows?

sdurani - cool down mate.
I assure you I was perfectly cool when writing my last post. In fact, rather than take you up on your earlier request to "Pls be ruthless while reviewing and suggesting", I instead merely pointed out that you were not "open to change everything", despite having said as much.
What makes you imagine that I am not open to corner treatment?
Your previous comment: "Corner traps etc are welcome only if they make themselves invisible." Look, rather than waste your time, I'll just wish you good luck. It's a shame you don't have measuring tools, because then you'd find out exactly how ineffective small (invisible) corner pillows are.

I assure you I was perfectly cool when writing my last post. In fact, rather than take you up on your earlier request to "Pls be ruthless while reviewing and suggesting", I instead merely pointed out that you were not "open to change everything", despite having said as much. Your previous comment: "Corner traps etc are welcome only if they make themselves invisible." Look, rather than waste your time, I'll just wish you good luck. It's a shame you don't have measuring tools, because then you'd find out exactly how ineffective small (invisible) corner pillows are.

Its his house and nobody other than him can decide on how it should be in his house. He has asked only our opinion and he has to decide which one he can go for, because of the WAF\aesthetic issue in the living room. Else he could have gone for a finish of a dedicated room. Since there are a lot of restrictions and not able to solve them, he had asked for other's help. Asking others suggestions doesnt mean that somebody has to follow that. If he started following all the suggestions then he will end up in buying a new house to accommodate everyone's suggestions....

Look, rather than waste your time, I'll just wish you good luck.

Thanks for your wishes, I need them. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

When I said everything, I did not mean changing the house. If you assumed THAT, I can't help it. You can read selectively and out of context and make your interpretations the way you want.

Anything means equipment and rack, not the room, not the layout, not the house. I hope that's fine with you. I am not looking at building anechoic chamber.

By invisible it means it should gel with the room decor.

Another note - I may not be able to follow all suggestions overnight. But these have gone into my head and I would work towards it. It may take a few months to get things in place.

Also, budget isn't infinite so few things may take years. Suggestions for a job change are not welcome - I didn't mean that when I said "everything"!

Its his house and nobody other than him can decide on how it should be in his house. He has asked only our opinion and he has to decide which one he can go for, because of the WAF\aesthetic issue in the living room. Else he could have gone for a finish of a dedicated room. Since there are a lot of restrictions and not able to solve them, he had asked for other's help. Asking others suggestions doesnt mean that somebody has to follow that. If he started following all the suggestions then he will end up in buying a new house to accommodate everyone's suggestions....

Thanks Sajith for explaining - I couldn't have done it any better :)

regarding corners, does placing bookshelves help? Wife intends to put one tall bookshelf in each of the front corners. These are front open but 3 sides closed. In the lower shelves that are closed, I can stack the LPs.

Hi anm

Get the aesthetics of the room right first. Once its done then figure the rest. Thats what i did. I would never compromise on the aesthetics. After all its a living room. Bookshelves, a few potted plants - can even be of artificial type, a few pillows, rugs, wall hangings all work.

Took missus out for a walk in a mall. the good news is that missus fell for a great looking L shaped sofa. So I can get rid of the current space hogger now and limit new sofa to the left side of the room. Right side being completely sofa free I can move TV more towards right and then I can increase the distance between the speakers. And may also be able to put a recliner!!!

However, moving the sofa/ listening position back would become an issue, which I can do atm. I think this may also be possible if I keep the bent of the L on the side wall.

Now just plotting how to get rid of this existing sofa. The vendor is not giving any exchange offer.

Last edited:
anm,

Great step taken. Suggest you also finalise the carpet/rug between the speakers and the sofa, taking your wife's taste into consideration.

yes!! we are looking at putting a rug/ carpet. The sofa was displayed with a awesome looking rug and it has stuck in our minds.
I hope we can find one that is easily washable at home or at drycleaners at least once a month. Hygiene for kid comes first.

Is it possible to put a thick curtain between the living and dining area? The reason I ask this will restrict the space when you are watching a movie or listening to music and will prevent sound leakage.

With curtains, the advantage will be you can always pull them back and have the large room effect when needed and draw them only when your speakers are in action.

I realised this at my place too late and now its not possible to do it.

Thanks sud for the suggestion. While it is not impossible to put the curtains in, it would be quite difficult. I think all my posts are being monitored, missus has gone back on the carpet thing!

Do these curtains help improving the SQ at the listening position?

Sound leakage as such isn't an issue. I mean isn't an issue that can be solved. Actually everyone except me seems to have exceptional hearing so whatever may be the volume, wife and mother would always object. Given that, whatever is the amount of sound getting cut off by the curtain would not be sufficient to meet their standards.

again, I am sorry if it comes across that I am rejecting all suggestions. I am not. I just present my side of views but all suggestions are going in my head and I start plotting to get them implemented :) - like changing the sofa and getting a carpet.

Thats ok to reject suggestions.

I too had got a carpet but then my son kept having issues with sinus so threw them off.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back