What to do with my room?

Ad-mission completed! Over with interviews etc for kid's admission. Deposited the fees. Now free to think about this too.

ok - was thinking of replacing my current cabinet with something that has low height, no drawers so that gadgets get more space. Designed several iterations in my head, saw few readymade options.
Then one day I walked into Home Center, and saw a classic wooden rack and thought, this would do. Almost fell for it. But then it was a little high, had drawers, and not wide enough. I wanted 2 of it, but then there was no stock. I was ready to leave, but then decided to look around. Finally got one that I think fits perfectly my requirements [it does has very thin drawers, but the entire section is removable.
So got it and got it installed. Yesterday moved all the stuff into the new rack. Everything right now is disconnected but it is looking pretty, cool. Old was all wood/ boards custom made on order, this is steel + tempered glass + wooden drawers.

old vs new
dsc0672k.jpg

view of left side
dsc0692g.jpg

view of rhs
dsc0693pz.jpg

the listening position :D
dsc0698x.jpg

seating
dsc0699te.jpg

a view from listening position. Need to get the TV moved towards the new center
dsc0703w.jpg

it's a jungle out there
dsc0702fx.jpg

Last edited:
that's a lovely design!!!
That wall is a shared wall with my neighbor - would need to put in some iron rods in for support.

that's a lovely design!!!
That wall is a shared wall with my neighbor - would need to put in some iron rods in for support.

Yes you have to, you have seen my racks in the living room, all my work is done with the shared wall of my neighbor... As long as the rod doesn't protrude other side you are safe:)

concealed 9.1 cabling for speakers, new supra hdmi cable for projector, new motorized screen under consideration.
I have decided that movies setup needs first love. Meanwhile parallel thinking abt a 2 channel setup is on.

I think you have too many gadgets wii bdp is there a dvd player as well? Go for a ps3 the all time best gadget buster then some avr that takes hdmi input from multiple sources i assume u hv a hd stb ... definitely prettier speakers are in order...

Few mistakes/ compromises:

just realized I got wiring for subs is right now only for left/ right front. No wiring if I want to place it in other positions. Figuring out how to get it done. The other issue is there is single HDMI cable and if it goes bad, I will have to get everything broken up again.

ok - so most of the stuff is done, just pending on some cosmetic stuff, like some issues with projector screen, a pelmet to hide the screen, blackout lining on curtains, wall paper, some fancy lighting.

Ashish @ Lakozy has helped a lot. I made few purchases from him including dynalab FM antenna, da-lite motorized screen, all speaker/ sub wiring, supra (expensive!!) HDMI cable.

This time I avoided cheaper stuff, that one tends to buy to save money. You some times have to pay twice! Lakozy certainly carries a little expensive, but high value for money stuff.

Also got a brand new 3KVA online emerson UPS, thanks ajay124 for recommending it.

Movies I watched at Lakozy had my heart completely set on NAD+PSB. Sound from their AVRs has great authority, and it was/ is always on my mind. I am still after the same effects, and I have achieved close to 70%.

AVR is an interesting story. I was not actually looking/ budgeted to change my AVR. Was just looking to get all the wiring done, projector mounted, new motorized screen, maybe a pair of surround speakers, that's it.

However, a FM was looking to sell his NAD avr, as it had certain issues. Deal was great, but the risk was high, with a few known issues. But the guy who was selling it is a great guy so I went ahead with it. It was a long story of happiness, then disappointment and heart break, then happiness. Quite a bit of roller coaster. For now, everything seems under control after the online UPS and change of transformers.

Has the NAD T785 avr transformed my setup? You bet it! HK speakers are rocking. Though I wish to switch to PSB T6 (or may be imagine towers), but right now there is no need.

All this while, Ashish has been a great help. From getting the wiring done, to AVR setup (which I didn't even buy from him!). He even helped me raise height of my fronts to ear level.

So, I am down with a few lakhs! But I am liking my 7.2 setup. Hoping to get the little issues sorted out, and then look for upgrades for

1. center speaker - weakest link. Maybe I will get something to work till I go for all PSB setup.
2. projector - not getting a great performance during day, but I can use my 50" samsung during day. Plus currently it is a 2D 720p projector.
3. front speakers - PSB for sure.

Hoping to have a movie session with fellow movieholics from Delhi NCR, hopefully by the end of this month.

subwoofers are currently the eminence 10" drivers in two boxes, which again, I purchased from the forum member. These are kept in stereo config, between the rack and fronts. Right now using C375 to amp the subs LoL!!! Hoping to find some cheaper sub amps and put C375 with maggies.
Waiting for the GR research sub to take over.

Still trying to figure out where to keep the maggies, without getting thrown out of the house.

yes, it is a slow painful process. Since it involved breaking open walls for wiring, it kept getting scheduled to next month, for months.
Now again stuck with few minor but nagging issues. Major technical issues are resolved. Hoping to go live in next few weeks.

got the curtains with blackout lining. But since I got them late in the night, I still have to see how well they block light.
Other light leaks from bottom of the door, from side window. though I got curtain blinds with blackout for side window, the gap between wall and curtain is too large and light will definitely leak through. Will need to fill the gap somehow.

just waiting for getting back my screen as there were some waves, and covering things up to make them pretty. Then my friend, you are most welcome. Maybe next to next weekend we can plan.

ok the pelmet done finallllllly! Thanks to Ashish for obliging with a non-theater thing. I think a successful installer goes beyond the speakers and cables and can also think like a interior designer.
So now the room is sort of done visually. The wall paper pasted on the front wall. Pictures coming soon.
So now done with almost everything that was on the list - except making the room walls black, which I can not do.
Dark colored sofa may be the next upgrade. Bass traps and some minimum treatment.

Pictures coming up soon.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back