what/where to buy from Malaysia/singapore/philipines

rpanand25

Iwould be visiting malaysia( 1 week) Philippines(1 week) and Singapore( 1 day)one week later.

i feel that Philippines is not that much cheap for electronics items.

what i would be looking at is stereo amp and/or bookshelves as towers may not be easy to bring. Perhaps sub woofer also.

My budget would be around 40000 amp plus bookshelf. sub is additional option.

Can anybody suggest which shops/shopping mall/plaza should i visit for buying these items? As i am on official trip only evenings are free for some days . So pl suggest specific places where it is cheaper than in India. i understand that some shops owned by Indians are also there for these items.

What about warranty? I doubt these would be applicable in India.

"what i would be looking at is stereo amp and/or bookshelves as towers may not be easy to bring. Perhaps sub woofer also."

Whoa, very ambitious you are! Are you with family? Luggage allowance is paltry these days, unless you fly first or business. Amp + speakers would be a lot of weight for the allowed luggage. Besides, too many boxes are a sure shot way to catch the eyes of customs guys there.

Another thing is - unless you are a quick decision maker or you are sure about what you you are going to buy, it's quite difficult to make up a mind.

Some tips from my travel experiences:

(1) Do your homework about what do you want to look at in India. When you are there, it's very hard. Assuming it's a personal trip. If it's a work trip where you would be in an office with colleagues it's an entirely different matter.

(2) You can safely strike Philippines out of your hifi target markets. I have sold tons of used electronics to Filipino people. My conclusion is that electronics prices in Philippines are way too high for people to afford new. Think of high-end audio for Indians. It's on the unaffordable side. Similarly in Philippines electronics is on the unaffordable side.

(3) If you are going to buy in Malaysia, only buy from authorized dealers. I have done purchases in Asian markets and experienced that warranty may become an issue unless purchased from an authorized dealer.

(4) Your itinerary is slightly awkward. I agree with Gobble that if you buy something in Malaysia, are you going to lug it around all along? Forget the inconvenience, keep in mind that almost all countries have customs people sniffing around at international airports.

(5) Your final leg is where you should be doing the purchase, as that's the most lucrative hifi market. But you only have 1 day there. You need at least two days, unless you know what you would be buying and where.

All the best!

I suggest you trawl through xtremeplace and echoloft to shortlist suff you might be interested in and within your budget. Speak to the sellers in advance and go check/buy in person when you are there.

Do visit Sim Lim Square, SLS Towers and Adelphi malls in Singapore for amps/spks. There are few shops in Adelphi (3rd floor) selling pre-owned stuff. But always bargain in SG. On cash payment, they may offer you some more discount.

There is a mall in Manila (can't remember the name) with a few audio shops but prices are higher than SG.

One day in Singapore is insufficient unless you have pre-arranged a deal with a known source. Or you are impulse-buying!

Still, you can still do tech tourism, visiting the places mentioned in the previous post. Don't miss Adelphi, even if just for window shopping. If you are at all interested in head/ear phones, pay a visit to Jaben there.

My exact programme is not finalised as regards which country would be last. But my group has 30 people on official training trip. I would be the only one with such hifi ambition and others would do with trinkets like chocolates,cloth etc. So i am hopeful of sharing luggage. Last time i visited Manila 4 years back i missed Jamo Sub 200 which cost Rs.6000 equivalent in a mall as i had to catch the flight.
yes. i will do searching as suggested by all

My exact programme is not finalised as regards which country would be last. But my group has 30 people on official training trip. I would be the only one with such hifi ambition and others would do with trinkets like chocolates,cloth etc. So i am hopeful of sharing luggage. Last time i visited Manila 4 years back i missed Jamo Sub 200 which cost Rs.6000 equivalent in a mall as i had to catch the flight.
yes. i will do searching as suggested by all

Hmm 30 people?!! You can open the amp and distribute one capacitor or resistor or a knob to each of the participants in the scheme and then reassemble it back when you reach India. That way you can escape duty completely. :eek:hyeah:

More seriously, what is it that has been lurking in your mind as the dream purchase for a long time? Accordingly somebody can suggest drawbacks or better competing products at similar price point.

--G0bble

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back