What would you choose out of these?

Tanay

Hi everyone,

I am considering these two speakers for my 4 height channels. The idea is to suspend a pair from the ceiling (concrete, can't drill holes) and another pair either further ahead in the ceiling (TM/TF or TR/TF) or high up on the front wall (TM/FH).

Another thought is to go with proper in-ceiling speakers like the Polk RC60i, enclose them in a back box and then suspend them from the ceiling.

For context, my setup consists of Q Acoustics 3020i, 3090ci and 3010i, and the subwoofer is Q Acoustics QB12. And I plan to buy either a Denon X3700H or Marantz SR6015.

Any thoughts on:

1. Which height speakers I should go for?
2. Which assignment might sound better if one pair of height speakers are directly above me and none behind me- TM/FH, TM/TF or TR/TF?
3. Which of the two receivers would be better? My usage is mainly movies (advantage Denon?) but I also don't want a receiver bright enough to fatigue me in my 15x10 room (advantage Marantz?).

Thanks in anticipation!

In my experience, Top Middle and Top Rear have a lot of content to play as against Front height or Rear height.
OR if the layout allows, Surround back + Top Middle.

In my experience, Top Middle and Top Rear have a lot of content to play as against Front height or Rear height.
OR if the layout allows, Surround back + Top Middle.
Noted. I'll have to place a pair directly overhead and assign it either as TM or TR. Can't have any height speakers behind me. So a TM + TR combination isn't possible. Only TM/FH, TM/TF (allowed?) or TR/TF.

If your surround is closer to your listening position , My Suggestion is to have the ceiling speaker (TM)to be 3 feet in front from listening position.

Noted. I'll have to place a pair directly overhead and assign it either as TM or TR. Can't have any height speakers behind me. So a TM + TR combination isn't possible. Only TM/FH, TM/TF (allowed?) or TR/TF.

I was having a discussion with a dealer from here, was suggesting to go for angled drivers. I think if you want to install 4 overhead as well it might work for you since with angled drivers they can be installed and pointed to your listening position

If your surround is closer to your listening position , My Suggestion is to have the ceiling speaker (TM)to be 3 feet in front from listening position.
Thanks, but would have been ideal if I were to have only 2 height speakers, but I'm looking at installing 4.

I was having a discussion with a dealer from here, was suggesting to go for angled drivers. I think if you want to install 4 overhead as well it might work for you since with angled drivers they can be installed and pointed to your listening position
I believe the Polk RC60i's have aimable tweeters. The rest in my list don't, AFAIK.

TM and TR in that case, RC80i also have amiable Tweeters

Thanks, but would have been ideal if I were to have only 2 height speakers, but I'm looking at installing 4.
Yes, as other FM’s suggested TM TR will be ideal.

I have attached my atmos speaker on concrete ceiling angling towards the listening position (Image attached)WhatsApp Image 2020-11-20 at 12.08.17 PM.jpeg

Yes, as other FM’s suggested TM TR will be ideal.

I have attached my atmos speaker on concrete ceiling angling towards the listening position (Image attached)View attachment 52117
But how can I have TM/TR if one pair is directly overhead and the other way in front, without any behind me?

Going by Dolby placements, the "last" or "rear-est" I can have would be TMs.

What am I missing?

If using 4 speakers for Atmos duties, I don't believe Dolby allows the assignment of 2 adjacent speaker locations. Has to be TF and TR or use one of the front height assignments in conjunction with TM.
That's exactly why I mentioned FH/TM and TF/TR (the logic for the latter being that while the speaker will be positioned in the TM location, it will be assigned as TR). That is what I have read as well. It would be helpful if someone with a comparable receiver (Denon 3700/3600 or Marantz 6015/6014) can confirm.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back