Whatever happened to the 'EDIT' button?

You know what they say about the dangers of 'ASSUME'-ing! :)

I never questioned your reasons or assumed your experience could have been otherwise! - I was just putting across my experience and POV.

I am a member of maybe around 23 forums - worldwide :).. Largely audio, a few auto, and maybe one or two tech forums, and no where have I seen an extended edit facility (I have no idea if this is peculiar to the type of forums I visit).... and honestly I have never needed this more than a couple of times - and the mods have always obliged.

You seem to be basing your need only on your desire - as stated - to put up blue ray reviews. Personally, I have no problem reading up an entire thread/threads (as is generally the case) while researching anything about anything! Rarely do ppl insist that all the information they seek should be present in ONE POST - and it very rarely is. And for the moments that I cant but give in to the buying impulse (or any other source of anxiety) and cant do without that 'opinion', then I generally pick up the phone and talk.

Here the edit facility has been retracted to prevent people from vandalising the forum as some have. It is beyond the 'rules are rules' sentiment... but that also works!:)
I apologise for the assumption. But from a quick check of a sample of TEN forums, that I very regularly participate in, shows this forum to be the only one, that has limitations on editing your own posts.

As for my desire to post reviews, believe me, it is more than just some cursory desire to gain attention, if that is what you are implying. The reason I post my reviews, is because, there are several people who actually benefit from the reviews and actually request me to not only post the reviews, but to do so asap. Also, 'posting reviews' was just an example of situations, where one may need to edit their posts beyond the stipulated 24 hrs.

As for the 'reason' for introducing this rule, seems to me, to be atypical of the Indian way of dealing with things. Wherein due to the 'vandalism' by a select few, the rest of the innocent are made to suffer. The irony being, that the actual perpetuators of the 'vandalism' are the one's least effected by the new rule. Has the forum, investigated other means of avoiding such 'vandalism' in the future. Methods, that may be more flexible in dealing with such 'vandalism'. Such as a filter in the forum software, which prevents 'editing' of more than a certain number of posts in a certain period of time.

In any case, I was merely expressing the problems such a rule creates and like I said earlier, 'rules are rules' and I have no issues with working within them. Specially, if the forum admins and the vast majority of the forum members have no issues with those rules.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back