Whatever happened to the 'EDIT' button?

All members will have an open window period of 24 hours during which time they may edit their posts. After this period members will not be able to edit their posts in any way whatsoever.
Obviously this is a new rule, since I never faced this issue earlier. Anyhow, I suppose a rule is a rule and there must be "some' logic behind it. But, I personally think this should not be the case, atleast not for 'threads' that a person started themselves.

It is a new rule. Sanjay, I can assure you, from experience elsewhere, that it is a good rule, with very good logic behind it.

Contributions to a forum should be given without condition. They form part of a conversation. They may even have whole threads depending on them. Whilst short-term editing allows for the correction of mistakes, addition of afterthoughts, or even the removal of something hastily said and regretted, the possibility of materially changing or even removing a post in the long term is very injurious to a forum. It can render the work and replies of others nonsense, and even remove them altogether if the deleted post is a thread starter.

This lesson was seen on another forum, where a very prolific poster, who had started many threads, decided to delete her entire presence on that forum. Many of those threads contained valuable contributions, sometimes on elementary subjects, that would have been useful to subsequent members/visitors.

Thanks. Although, there is a 'genuine' need in certain types of threads, for the person who started the thread to be able to edit, specially the first post in the thread. But as you have very eloquently explained, there is definately potential of misuse and or atleast the inconvenience that can be caused by this.

Yes, it does make it tough to maintain "reference" threads which are designed to keep up-to-date information in early posts. I'm afraid I don't have an answer to that; it would depend on the forum software and the administrator if permission could be given selectively. From a moderator's standpoint, it is not a good idea to have too many things like this to add to the work!

For the life of me, I cannot locate the 'EDIT' button. I cannot edit any of my posts, since the 'EDIT' option is missing. Is it just me or anyone else also facing this issue?

You cannot EDIT others posts :eek:hyeah:
need to Check new rules.

You obviously were not following "The recent happenings" on HFV. This is in reaction to loss of many posts, threads, members etc...

Obviously this is a new rule, since I never faced this issue earlier. Anyhow, I suppose a rule is a rule and there must be "some' logic behind it. But, I personally think this should not be the case, atleast not for 'threads' that a person started themselves.

I actually don't like the option to NOT edit our posts. Maybe we can have a rule which allows established members with a certain number of posts to be able to edit their posts? This could be a bonus bestowed upon members in good standing and good faith.

Just a suggestion....I feel somewhat handicapped without this functionality.

From my experience, it does not work.

Nobody's behaviour is completely predictable in all circumstances. The greater a person's contribution to a forum, the greater the harm that they can, potentially, do. In the two instances that I know of in which people did what I can only call vandalism by removing their posts, one was a moderator, and you can't get much more trusted than that --- nor is there much that can be done to prevent that kind of extreme breach of trust.

There is a window of time in which posts can be edited. Is it such a handicap not to be able to edit your posts of days or weeks ago? In "real" life, you can't unsay what you said even a second ago!

If you post something that you seriously wish you hadn't, there is always the option of requesting the mods to delete a post.

There is a window of time in which posts can be edited. Is it such a handicap not to be able to edit your posts of days or weeks ago? In "real" life, you can't unsay what you said even a second ago!

If you post something that you seriously wish you hadn't, there is always the option of requesting the mods to delete a post.
Yes, the ability or rather the lack of ability to edit posts is a severe liability for me. I quite regularly start threads with my reviews for Indian Blu-rays. Due to many reasons, including time constraints, I need to update, or finish, the reviews later, which I am now unable to do. Ofcourse, I don't need the edit ability indefinately, but certainly 24hrs is too little time for my purposes atleast. Also, there is a thread I maintain, related to availability of Blu-rays in Gurgaon/NCR, wherin I need to update the first post quite regularly, but now instead I have to start a new thread each time I have figures to update.

I am yet to come across any forum which allows you to edit posts indefinitely! In fact I am yet to come across any other forum which even allows members the 24 hour window that this forum provides!

IMHO the advantages of such limitations far outweigh the negatives ... and hence better late than never!

I am yet to come across any forum which allows you to edit posts indefinitely! In fact I am yet to come across any other forum which even allows members the 24 hour window that this forum provides!

IMHO the advantages of such limitations far outweigh the negatives ... and hence better late than never!
Don't mean to be rude, but you obviously have not been on too many other forums. The fact is I have been participating actively in several online forums since 1995 and this forum is the first that I have encountered which actually has this limitation. Every other forum allows me to 'edit' my posts as many times and indefinately too.

Gentlemen, the decision to restrict editing of posts was taken after due diligence, and after listening to a number of members. Sometime ago, a few threads literally derailed HFV, and I am sure you will all agree that that would be bad. I yet remember the phone calls and PMs I had to send and receive to ensure we keep HFV alive and kicking.

It is not that we want to restrict members in any way. But as Thad said, we have seen some extremely strange behaviour of people. One of the disadvantages of a forum on the Net is the annonymity it provides which has been misused here.

To Sanjay and all members, I would say this. Never create a thread unless your text and your pictures are ready. Use a text processor on your PC, write the thread there completely, including links to pictures (put the needed code), read it a few times, and when you are happy, create the thread and just copy-paste. That way you will never need to edit the post, never. There is no hurry. We are not running a rat race here. We are all doing this for our own pleasure.

To Alcy, as I have done before, I will edit the first post whenever you want it done. The numbers are small and it is of no issue to me. Just PM me and I will do what is needed.

To all other members, as moderators we are at your service. Let me know what you want and we shall see how we can get it done. BUT, every member has to follow the rules. If the rules are broken, I am afraid we are left with no options.

Cheers

Cheers

Last edited:
To Sanjay and all members, I would say this. Never create a thread unless your text and your pictures are ready. Use a text processor on your PC, write the thread there completely, including links to pictures (put the needed code), read it a few times, and when you are happy, create the thread and just copy-paste. That way you will never need to edit the post, never. There is no hurry. We are not running a rat race here. We are all doing this for our own pleasure.
I don't mean to be argumentative and I have no issues with the rules, but I would like to state one thing. In the case of Blu-ray reviews, there is an urgency to get atleast the basic review out so that people can make a judgement whether they want to buy a particular title. In fact on numerous occasions I have received PMs and emails requesting me to comment on various titles asap. Due to time constraints I am unable to have a detailed review and or screenshots ready soon, so I post my initial thoughts and the basic features of the disc right away and then later revise the post with a detailed review. The rush is not on my part, but for people who have been anxiously waiting for a title to release, like to have a heads up, to help them make their purchase decisions. Anyhow, rules are rules and I suppose I will try to do the best I can under the circumstances.

Don't mean to be rude, but you obviously have not been on too many other forums. The fact is I have been participating actively in several online forums since 1995 and this forum is the first that I have encountered which actually has this limitation. Every other forum allows me to 'edit' my posts as many times and indefinately too.

You know what they say about the dangers of 'ASSUME'-ing! :)

I never questioned your reasons or assumed your experience could have been otherwise! - I was just putting across my experience and POV.

I am a member of maybe around 23 forums - worldwide :).. Largely audio, a few auto, and maybe one or two tech forums, and no where have I seen an extended edit facility (I have no idea if this is peculiar to the type of forums I visit).... and honestly I have never needed this more than a couple of times - and the mods have always obliged.

You seem to be basing your need only on your desire - as stated - to put up blue ray reviews. Personally, I have no problem reading up an entire thread/threads (as is generally the case) while researching anything about anything! Rarely do ppl insist that all the information they seek should be present in ONE POST - and it very rarely is. And for the moments that I cant but give in to the buying impulse (or any other source of anxiety) and cant do without that 'opinion', then I generally pick up the phone and talk.

Here the edit facility has been retracted to prevent people from vandalising the forum as some have. It is beyond the 'rules are rules' sentiment... but that also works!:)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back