WhatHifi Show Mumbai 3-5 March 2017

I request you to come to my rooms.
Listen to the Elac & Tannoy.
In the MAIN Chair. Hopefully when I am there.
It would be nice.
Do give it a try.

Welcome.
Thanks for kind invitation.Today is my working day.l will certainly miss this opportunity.

4.Taga with Marantz
How good are the taga speaker when compared to Wharfedale etc ? Someone I Know is looking for good pair of floorstanders ( deep extension) and was considering the usual suspects like wharfedale 220 in the 50K range

Last edited:
How good are the taga speaker when compared to Wharfedale etc ? Someone I Know is looking for good pair of floorstanders ( deep extension) and was considering the usual suspects like wharfedale 220 in the 50K range
If you ask me the model at demo,l can say Taga sounds better.Depth ,Bass and dark background.One must listen it.

Just left the show. Right off the bat, none of the rooms were optimum for the setups. So to criticize would be a big mistake. The expensive Taga, driven by Marantz did sound good. Rest sounded average to me. Again, I would not be too critical of any of the systems to compare with the one I have at home. But I am glad I own Magnepans.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I too had visited yesterday i.e. on Saturday. I feel there was more stress on tower speakers, rather than having a blend. I saw the Klipsch dealer and others, but most said we do not have this we do not have that here and you please visit our showroom if you want to hear more.

Frankly speaking I found this show to be average, as someone rightly said it was more of dealer oriented, rather than product oriented. The other thing that I found strange was MZ Audio were selling a short throw Viewsonic projector which was just 1080p capable like there is no other product available in the market, and if I remember correctly, the price of the projector was around INR 420,000. I found the clarity of the projector to be average at the best. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I felt.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Also lots of ribbon speakers. Elac had a home theater setup with their ribbon speakers.
Burmester didn't do anything for me. suddenly the guys turned some bookshelf speakers on behind the sitting arrangement and it caught my eye. It was Audio vector systems powered bookshelf speakers.
p58lr2z.jpg

These sounded nice.

.......... Rest sounded average to me. Again, I would not be too critical of any of the systems to compare with the one I have at home. But I am glad I own Magnepans.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

Second the Magnepans:clapping:

Second the Magnepans:clapping:

I must have missed those. The name was there on the board of AVI, But I never got a chance to see or hear it.... I should be more observant. Thanks for the pointer, I guess I missed the best sound of the show... 2 people loved it, so must have been great.

I must have missed those. The name was there on the board of AVI, But I never got a chance to see or hear it.... I should be more observant. Thanks for the pointer, I guess I missed the best sound of the show... 2 people loved it, so must have been great.
Sorry if I gave an impression of having heard the Maggie's at the show.:eek: I was simply saying that I wouldn't trade the Magnepan's for anything that was on display at the show. Again, I apologize if there was a mix up. It also was hint for Panditji, to consider Magnepan's as his next purchase.

I did read between the lines sir...I am sure the Tannoy Prestige series would not have been on demo but were you able to hear the regular fancy Tannoys? If yes, what is your take vis a vis the Maggies ?

I did read between the lines sir...I am sure the Tannoy Prestige series would not have been on demo but were you able to hear the regular fancy Tannoys? If yes, what is your take vis a vis the Maggies ?

Sir, I was perhaps there on the wrong day, as it seemed most exhibitor's were too busy intermingling, or trying to make a hard sale, or perhaps just tired as it was the last day. Not a single room i visited would have given a true sense of what those speakers were capable of, hence i mentioned earlier it would be unfair to compare them vis a vis a setup at home. If I was a serious buyer at the show, I would be unimpressed by anything that was at the show, But i would give a second chance to audition them in a proper room.
The TAGA (INR over 4.9 lac) with Marantz left an impression on me.
Now coming to Magnepan's, None would come half way close to the Sound stage and clarity/ resolution. The bass problem that some complain about with maggies, seemed unfair as most floor standers were not putting anything below 40hz. (it seems as no measurements were taken). Every speaker i heard were fatigue free but some also sounded rolled off at high frequencies. Again I cannot reiterate enough to give the benefit of doubt as the setups (rooms) did not seem optimal.
One track I heard (Dire straits- You and your friend) on the B&W floor standers was dull and almost dead.The track has some serious bass and these speakers did no justice to it nor did Knopfler's guitar had the same feeling that the Maggie's put out.
In the end I may be biased 'bigly' towards the Maggie's as I get emotionally connected to it quite easily because of the inherent design that they have as against a boxed speaker.
To be clear, My habit of listening to music is not to be grounded to a sweet spot for hours, so to me it matters that music sounds good no matter where i am in that given room. Boxes are too easily localized when compared to the Maggie's. But when I do sit down in my main listening chair, the speakers simply disappear and the band plays just for me. If one stands 2 feet away from any speaker, it gives you an impression that the music is coming from a door, not possible with any boxed speaker, in my humble opinion.
I guess it holds some truth when they say ' once a magnepan owner, always a magnepan owner.
No intention to offend anybody, just my personal opinion.

Sir, I was perhaps there on the wrong day, as it seemed most exhibitor's were too busy intermingling, or trying to make a hard sale, or perhaps just tired as it was the last day. Not a single room i visited would have given a true sense of what those speakers were capable of, hence i mentioned earlier it would be unfair to compare them vis a vis a setup at home. If I was a serious buyer at the show, I would be unimpressed by anything that was at the show, But i would give a second chance to audition them in a proper room.
Now coming to Magnepan's, None would come half way close to the Sound stage and clarity/ resolution. The bass problem that some complain about with maggies, seemed unfair as most floor standers were not putting anything below 40hz. (it seems as no measurements were taken). Every speaker i heard were fatigue free but some also sounded rolled off at high frequencies. Again I cannot reiterate enough to give the benefit of doubt as the setups (rooms) did not seem optimal.
One track I heard (Dire straits- You and your friend) on the B&W floor standers was dull and almost dead.The track has some serious bass and these speakers did no justice to it nor did Knopfler's guitar had the same feeling that the Maggie's put out.
In the end I may be biased 'bigly' towards the Maggie's as I get emotionally connected to it quite easily because of the inherent design that they have as against a boxed speaker.
To be clear, My habit of listening to music is not to be grounded to a sweet spot for hours, so to me it matters that music sounds good no matter where i am in that given room. Boxes are too easily localized when compared to the Maggie's. But when I do sit down in my main listening chair, the speakers simply disappear and the band plays just for me. If one stands 2 feet away from any speaker, it gives you an impression that the music is coming from a door, not possible with any boxed speaker, in my humble opinion.
I guess it holds some truth when they say ' once a magnepan owner, always a magnepan owner.

Thanks for penning this down and its a very nice honest review. my experiences in shows are quite similar as the same component in a home setup sounds quite different !

..and really nice to see someone so happy with ones system ..in the end thats when this hobby gets really fun !

Thanks for your opinion sir..much appreciated.

Honest personal opinion post gets deleted, hence not posting.:mad:

If someone thinks i am trying to sell my stuff, then i dont make more than 2 speakers in one full year. i just dont have the time to do so nor the inclination.

Last edited:
Honest personal opinion post gets deleted, hence not posting.:mad:

i just dont have the time to do so nor the inclination.

That is so sad to learn.

If your personal opinion is on what you heard - without a comparison to a speaker that was not at the show [or what you make] - then it may get deleted.

However, please do feel free - if you have the time - to comment on what you heard. Just leave the 'not there [products] out of your show report !

e.g. Compare the Burmester to the YG
or the Tannoy to the Taga
or the PSB to the Elac
etc. etc.

Let people that did not visit learn from your wisdom.
Share your knowledge.
Let people be happy with your review & let them feel like they visited & walked the 3 floors !!

This is just my humble suggestion !!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back