WhatHifi Show Mumbai 3-5 March 2017

To be very frank the Nordost was the only room where i enjoyed the most and also spend over 1.5hours of my total 2.5hrs in the show.
Now are you not happy you came ? :clapping:
Learnt some new thing and went home.
More than what a Forum C/C/P/ would have taught you.
1st hand experience is worth a lot of 'reading' !!

I really wanted to know how the Burmester sounded. That 909 OMG. Anybody?

Super Tone.
If there was more attention paid to the set up - it would do very good.
Music was MP3 & Played Wireless.
The Speaker Cable was @ Rs. 26/- per meter - made in PRC.
The Set up was below par - but the product is great - listen to it in mono & the potential comes through.
If I got a chance to set it up - would do very well, I am certain.

The Power Amp was a discontinued 7 channel amp.
The 909 was not there - that is the Sub !

NORDOST - Sort Kones (Ea)
Accessories / Price $369.99 - This is Tatanium.

I was hoping all the FM's did the Power Cord thing that he [Andy] does !!
It would have been an 'eye' [actually ear] opener.

I concur with you on this.

Not sure.
If you saw any - please do post here. Will appreciate.
I'm asking. Because of this:

<snip>Mr.Adny also did a comparison with and without the Titanium stands and my GOD the sound resolution was day and night. Without the stands, the vocals were chesty and the bass was very laid back and boomy with the same sets of cables. With the Titanium stand the bass was very resolved, without any boom and vocals very refined and life like.<snip>

Or was it some other brand stands?

stands ka naghma to sirf magma ka hai..
iss mumbai shaher mein

sorry... for the hinglish..

:))

Nordost makes "stands"!!!!???

He was, I guess. referring, not to stands, but to the Nordost Sort Kones which were titanium supports to be placed under amps/cd players/TTs/etc. The guy there did a convincing job of demonstrating the impact on the sound with, and without, the cones.

Super Tone.
The Set up was below par - but the product is great - listen to it in mono & the potential comes through.

The excitement of seeing a Burmester and dimensions of the sub made me think the 909 was actually in the room!! That's bad playing up a Burmester with no care whatsoever. Yes I looked in the details the cable is indeed the worst they could buy and the wood on top of my 909!!! :p

Last edited:
Mr. Andy from Nordost did a very 'special' set up.
It was for pure resolution & no sound stage - set up.
It was done in a typical manner that Nordost does globally.
The emphasis was not for the sound but for changes in there of to be observed with different products being added & removed.
Very Clever what was achieved !

I spent some time in that room but I missed this!
Here are some pictures of this room which I took during my visit

Naim%20MF%20Image%20Nordost.jpg

Naim%20MF%20Nordost%20Stack.jpg

Naim%20Image%20Nordost%20LHS.jpg

Naim%20Image%20Nordost%20RHS.jpg

Super Tone.

I was definitely keen on listening to the Burmester room.
There was definitely something "off" - good to know what you mentioned.

I really wanted to know how the Burmester sounded. That 909 OMG. Anybody?

Honestly this was a pretty good sound with the limitations mentioned above.
But as mentioned above the room was not setup optimally.

It was clearly positioned as a "lifestyle" system.
Credentials were needed to get the D&D's attention.

Burmester%20Setup.jpg

Burmester%20Stack%20and%20Sub.jpg

make sure u listen to Gamut Audio - By Hermit Systems .

That's the best in the entire lot

Yes that was my experience as well.
The Gamut room was best of the show apart from the show stopper Nagras.

When I was in the listening seat an upbeat jazz song began to play.
The setup positively boogied on that tune - very enjoyable.

Gamut%20Setup.jpg

The cabinet of the Gamut speaker was superb.
Poor lighting in the room did not do justice to the finish.

Gamut%20RHS.jpg

Cables were VDH and Supra from what I could see ...

Gamut%20VDH%20Supra%20Cables.jpg

In gamut room why are the speakers placed so close to the sidewall when there is so much room to place them more inwards, ofcouse there is quite a but on toe-in

In gamut room why are the speakers placed so close to the sidewall when there is so much room to place them more inwards, ofcouse there is quite a but on toe-in

This was a nice place to get the bass response optimized for this given room.
I was keen to place the speakers as wide as I could - so as to get a wide sound stage.
The speakers too were about 8 + feet from the rear wall - that way I could manage a good ratio of stage depth & width.
There was enough toe in so as to negate the effects of 1st wall reflections.
This was a nice set up - I personally was happy with the result achieved.
:rolleyes:

Sonodyne has done a really good job with their home audio gear.
Extremely good value for money and a great entry point for audio enthusiasts.

Sonodyne Digital HD Processor and Power Amp combination.
Cost approx Rs 65k. Absolutely great sound for the price.

Sonodyne%20Gear.jpg

The setup had a very enjoyable sound playing Peter Cincotti's "St Louis Blues"
Feet taping beat and a lovely tune - very nicely done by Sonodyne.

Sonodyne%20Setup.jpg

I was told that the Sonus 3165 speakers costs about Rs 50k/- pair
Fit and finish was super for the price.

Sonodyne%20Read%20Badge.jpg

Interesting for me was that the processor offers balanced outputs.
The processor offers a full 7.2 HD with balanced outputs - a great core for HT setup.

Sonodyne%20Electronics%20Rear%20Cables.jpg

I've been meaning to write my impressions but other things kept me occupied. So here's a quick and dirty one.

The Cadence State Room had an impressive array of high end gear on active and passive display. Four different speakers (a big YG Acoustics 1.2, Spendor SP 200 and a smaller Spendor from the SP series (100?), and a new Spendor D9); lots and lots of Nagra electronics (300B tube based integrated amp 300i, CDC CD player, CLASSIC INT integrated amp, CLASSIC AMP, 845 tube based mono block amps model VPA, a big mono block amp whose model I could not determine, and four more boxes including a DAC and phono preamp whose model numbers I didn't note down); besides two CD players on two different racks, they had an SME 20/12 turntable equipped with an SME 312S tonearm and a Clearaudio Goldfinger V2 cartridge. When I had visited the Cadence room, the turntable was playing into the big YG Acoustics speakers. Quite impressive sound but lean for my taste. I expected much better from the YG Acoustics (circa $75K), but then I understand they were fresh from the box and that they need serious hours of burn in to sound good. A lost opportunity to impress showgoers, I guess. I didn't hear the other gears in the room but having heard the big Spendor SP 200 before, I didn't really expect to be blown away. I know Cadence already had an impressive display but their old ES speaker would not have been out of place at all in the company.

I did pop into one other State Room where the big Klipsch Cornwall III speakers were playing. Yet another lost opportunity. There were multiple setups, sometimes playing concurrently in the big room. Not at all conducive to any serious listening, or any listening at all.

The surprise of the show for me was the Innovative Information Technology room playing Metronome CD player, Naim integrated amp, Image speakers from NZ, wired up by lots of Nordost cables. They had a demo of Sort Kone equipment supports. What was unusual about the Sort Kones is that the equipment which is supported rests on the pointy end of the cone. And their recommendation of placing the cones directly below vibration producing components like transformers or CD drive mechanism made total sense. The with/without Sort Kone demo was an eye/ear opener. Image speakers sounded quite good.

The KEI room playing Tannoy Definition DC8 Ti floorstanders driven by Hegel 360 DAC-amp was very well set up and sounded very good. The other KEI room playing the budget Elac Uni-Fi UF5 floorstanders driven by Primare i22 integrated amp also sounded good. Cabling in this room was Inakustic Referenz NF 102. Also on static display in this room were Peachtree DACs and amps.

The Audio People room playing the big Monitor Audio Reference floorstanders driven by Bryston electronics (7B SST mono blocks, preamp with outboard PSU, BDA-1 DAC and a BCD-1 CD player) was well set up. However, it lost composure when things got busy musically.

Leviathan Systems Burmester setup sounded very good as usual, despite their sins as already reported by others on this thread. They played my test disc on a laptop. Such a high end setup deserves a dedicated spinner, IMHO. I didn't get to hear their Audiovector speakers but I remember it was very good sounding last year.

I didn't really do the round of HT rooms as that's not my beat but I'm glad I walked into the JBL Synthesis 5.2 room. It was most impressive.

The Absolute Sound room playing the Kii speakers was beguilingly good. I wanted an encore but time constraints didn't permit me. Source was a Macbook running Roon. JK of Absolute Sound knows what he's doing and it showed in the sound.

Last but not the least, Hermit Audio room playing full GamuT electronics and speakers was without doubt the best sound of the show for me. The chain was CD3 CD player, D3i dual mono preamplifier, M 250 mono block amplifiers into a big GamuT floorstanders.

Absolute Sound room was No. 2 sound for me.

A distant third was the JBL Synthesis room.

Nice to see Sonodyne doing well amongst the global giants....but are they making them in India?

Sonodyne has done a really good job with their home audio gear.
Extremely good value for money and a great entry point for audio enthusiasts.

Sonodyne Digital HD Processor and Power Amp combination.
Cost approx Rs 65k. Absolutely great sound for the price.

Sonodyne%20Gear.jpg

The setup had a very enjoyable sound playing Peter Cincotti's "St Louis Blues"
Feet taping beat and a lovely tune - very nicely done by Sonodyne.

Sonodyne%20Setup.jpg

I was told that the Sonus 3165 speakers costs about Rs 50k/- pair
Fit and finish was super for the price.

Sonodyne%20Read%20Badge.jpg

Interesting for me was that the processor offers balanced outputs.
The processor offers a full 7.2 HD with balanced outputs - a great core for HT setup.

Sonodyne%20Electronics%20Rear%20Cables.jpg

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back