What's the cheapest amp you would suggest for streaming music?

k-pad

Hi all,
Almost wrapping up a small media room.
Now, getting greedy, of course...

So, what I am thinking of is a living room set up for music, where more than one person can sit and enjoy music.
Am fairly set on speakers - there are a few I like. They are all mostly in the 87 db sensitivity range.
They all invariable have some version of folded motion tweeters. And I want to live with whatever speaker I choose.
Among mass produced ones, I like the Martin Logan 60s, give or take a few characters of the English alphabet, the most for their stunning soundstage and imaging, despite having auditioned them in a not-so-perfect space.

Unheard speakers I would like to drive are the Phil BMRs or the Salk Song Towers or similar Seas-RAAL models.

Source: FLAC files or from HD streaming services....

So, what's a great amp that would match speakers like that? And what should be my one final amp?

You should audition and select the amp that sounds best with your speakers (from those available within your budget)
Home auditions if possible, else carry your speakers to showroom or sellers place.
Another possibility is to research the amps that sound good according to other owners of the particular speakers you choose.
I think taking the time and effort to obtain well matched components at any budget is worth iit.
Good hunting!

You should audition and select the amp that sounds best with your speakers (from those available within your budget)
Lonavla...
Home auditions if possible, else carry your speakers to showroom or sellers place.
...Mt. Everest!
Another possibility is to research the amps that sound good according to other owners of the particular speakers you choose.
This, yes, doable... In fact, have been stalking such people unannounced for a while now... :D
I think taking the time and effort to obtain well matched components at any budget is worth iit.
Good hunting!
Time hi Time hai sir.

Only maksat of this thread is to find a powerful, low-cost amp to get started...

Thank you very much for laying out the path, though it might be tough to tread....

Lonavla...

...Mt. Everest!

This, yes, doable... In fact, have been stalking such people unannounced for a while now... :D

Time hi Time hai sir.

Only maksat of this thread is to find a powerful, low-cost amp to get started...

Thank you very much for laying out the path, though it might be tough to tread....
Hot work in this season definitely.
It may reduce the possibility of a carousel of changing amps, and save money too.
Advice that I seldom follow: choose at leisure and enjoy at length :)

Hi all,
Almost wrapping up a small media room.
Now, getting greedy, of course...

So, what I am thinking of is a living room set up for music, where more than one person can sit and enjoy music.
Am fairly set on speakers - there are a few I like. They are all mostly in the 87 db sensitivity range.
They all invariable have some version of folded motion tweeters. And I want to live with whatever speaker I choose.
Among mass produced ones, I like the Martin Logan 60s, give or take a few characters of the English alphabet, the most for their stunning soundstage and imaging, despite having auditioned them in a not-so-perfect space.

Unheard speakers I would like to drive are the Phil BMRs or the Salk Song Towers or similar Seas-RAAL models.

Source: FLAC files or from HD streaming services....

So, what's a great amp that would match speakers like that? And what should be my one final amp?
Get the speakers which sound best to you, first. Drive it with your existing amps, this includes the AVR. You'll be able to fairly assess of any shortcomings, quirks, synergy if any. Find the amp with the specific characteristics after.

low-cost amp to get started.
What price range are we talking about?

Get the speakers which sound best to you, first. Drive it with your existing amps, this includes the AVR. You'll be able to fairly assess of any shortcomings, quirks, synergy if any. Find the amp with the specific characteristics after.

What price range are we talking about?
Around 20K?

@Dr Sarkar has posted a Fatman iTube hybrid amp for sale in the classifieds.
It’s a surprisingly good sounding amp, small size, looks good too. (I have one)

Was about to mention the same. But OP is planning on ~87dB speakers. Do you think it would work?
My experience: It drives 83db bookshelves well and loud enough in small to medium size rooms. Hence my suggestion. It has an engaging SQ. He can ask the seller for his experience too?

Was about to mention the same. But OP is planning on ~87dB speakers. Do you think it would work?
My experience: It drives 83db bookshelves well and loud enough in small to medium size rooms. Hence my suggestion. It has an engaging SQ. He can ask the seller for his experience too?
Will check it out. Thanks
Check out the new Topping LA90. Cheap by audiophile standards, but not so cheap by Indian standard.
Seems like a great piece!
Hot work in this season definitely.
It may reduce the possibility of a carousel of changing amps, and save money too.
Advice that I seldom follow: choose at leisure and enjoy at length :)
Loong path, I have sir. Will go long, per your advice... And @raghupb He is already worried for me... :)
Get a used or pre owned amplifier, something like a PM6007 would be great as you can connect TVs optical with the PM6007s DAC.

If you want compact then go for the class D amps.
One day, I'll kidnap your Audiolab only to first try out! :p
Norge gold 1000
Thanks for this sir, tasty specs.
Any caveats it has?
Yamaha WXA-50
Thank you sir, following the conversation in that thread...
Any pros and cons one should know of?
Regards
Aiyima T9
Thank you sir. Will look it up.
How does it stack up against the other options mentioned here?
Just a couple of parameters would help:
1. VFM,
2. Power
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your answers.
Much grateful.
If we refine the parameter to a clean 100W pc, would the suggestions above hold good for an 87dB - 88dB pair of speakers?

Only @Analogous - bless him, of course! - seems to have bothered about the speakers' capabilities...

Having said that, gotta say, Topping's are rocking... at the risk of alienating good friends who have suggested otherwise above...

Speakers with 87-88dB SPL are the most common of the mass market boxes.
A power amp with about 50Wpc (with a decent power supply) will work.
You don't need 100/200W amps.
If the living room is small and the rig be a stereo/HT even an AVR will do fine.

Specifically for "small living room" stereo with streaming capabilities, I'd suggest this approach:
1. select speakers (standmount or smaller) that fit your budget and listening preferences (try the SB Acoustics Bromo 2)
2. get one of them new class D power amps (Topping/SMSL/Allo etc)
3. get a DAC/pre with volume control (Topping/SMSL types)
4. add a RPi based streamer/player

If allergic to class D, get a class A/B amp (preferably from the used market).

Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back