Whats the difference between Yamaha's RX-Vxxx and HTR-xxxx series of amp-receivers?

nivlacbot

I've been out strafing stores recently and seen a few Yamaha amps..

However I've seen alternating models from the above two series, and about the same price and no differences (as far as the salesperson could tell and I could make out from the grill).

Now that i am at home, I compared the RX-v665 and the HTR-6130 and the only thing spec wise different I can see is that the RX-V model has HDMI audio pass-thru (by which I assume that the HTR would require a separate cable to carry audio - not sure how this is done.. so any tips would be helpful)

I've searched the forums on differences and it seems like they two are identical functionally more or less and just positioned diff for marketing reasons. So looking for confirmation.

Q#2 that I had was that there seems to be some talk of the RX-Vxx5 models being worse choices that the corresponding RX-Vxx3 counterparts. Is this true? I've never seen a Vxx3 model in stores.

Q#3 is pricing. The Yamaha.com pages list that the RX-V363 is cheaper RX-V663 by 300$. The rough conversion makes the v363 for around 12K INR. However the indian stores unanimously claim nothing under 23-24K for the v36x models and the v66x models for ~32K. I understand that the conversion is never linear for electronics - however the relative pricing looks a bit fishy. I'm eyeing a v36x model so I am asking for a (am I being taken for a ride) price verification... If there is some place I should be looking out for better deals on Yam 5.1 amps.

Re: Whats the difference between Yamaha's RX-Vxxx and HTR-xxxx series of amp-receiver

Now that i am at home, I compared the RX-v665 and the HTR-6130 and the only thing spec wise different I can see is that the RX-V model has HDMI audio pass-thru (by which I assume that the HTR would require a separate cable to carry audio - not sure how this is done.. so any tips would be helpful)
Equivalent model for RX-V665 is HTR-6260 (current) and RX-V663/HTR-6160 from the previous version (xx3 series) for comparison purpose. There are some threads on audioholics and other forums on 665 versus 663 debate.

I've searched the forums on differences and it seems like they two are identical functionally more or less and just positioned diff for marketing reasons. So looking for confirmation.
If you work out the right sequence of RX-V versus HTR model #s (not difficult), they are absolutely identical, period. Ex: there is no difference between RX-V565 and HTR-6250.

Q#2 that I had was that there seems to be some talk of the RX-Vxx5 models being worse choices that the corresponding RX-Vxx3 counterparts. Is this true? I've never seen a Vxx3 model in stores.
I can't confirm the performance differences between xx3 and xx5, but csn tell you that xx3 models are not so easily available now. The talk on internet seems to favour xx3 series, but I have not come across any sensible/factual material so far, except that the power amps are smaller/weaker etc. For a normal home use, whatever is packed in xx5 series is more than enough, unless you are driving large 4-ohm/power-hungry speakers.

Q#3 is pricing. The Yamaha.com pages list that the RX-V363 is cheaper RX-V663 by 300$. The rough conversion makes the v363 for around 12K INR. However the indian stores unanimously claim nothing under 23-24K for the v36x models and the v66x models for ~32K. I understand that the conversion is never linear for electronics - however the relative pricing looks a bit fishy. I'm eyeing a v36x model so I am asking for a (am I being taken for a ride) price verification... If there is some place I should be looking out for better deals on Yam 5.1 amps.
Do a comparison of the current amps (365/465/565/665/765) on the yamaha website and take a call on which one you want. We could discuss the price/dealer once you have made up your mind. There are 465 and 565 which you might want to consider.

You may also want to go thru the thread on "global ebay" and see if you want to go that route.

Don't expect any logic in the correlation of US and Indian retail prices of anything hi-fi. Dhoondthe he rah jaavoge :lol:

Last edited:
Re: Whats the difference between Yamaha's RX-Vxxx and HTR-xxxx series of amp-receiver

Hi SKumar

Can you post the equation/function to translate between the 2 series... I couldn't make it out from your last post? e.g. what does HTR 6130 and HTR 6230 translate to ?

Can you post the equation/function to translate between the 2 series... I couldn't make it out from your last post? e.g. what does HTR 6130 and HTR 6230 translate to ?

HTR-61x0 = RX-Vx63

HTR-62x0 = RX-Vx65

Here in India (New Delhi), they are selling Yamaha HTR 3065 as an HTIB packaged with NS-P20 speakers, while they are selling Yamaha RX-V 373 separately....Can you please let me know whether there is a difference between HTR 3065 and RX-V373, or are they the same ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back