What's the point having a rear wall mount option for a speaker having rear port ??

If it worked, i would have painted it white. But since the speaker is in the corner, the sound quality dropped.

So i made a different speaker mount. See the below pics. Its a stainless steel tube welded, and then a plywood attached to it.
Now the speaker is around 6 to 8inches from the walls, and the sound quality is nice.

Good to know the sound quality has improved. The issue would still continue to persist with the corner walls. Corners are usually bad for speaker placements but given the practical constraints in living spaces this has to be compromised. If you had to have a much better experience you can consider putting some acoustics panels on the sides or a broadband absorption say like a corner trap which would do wonders trust me. We just did a round of acoustic treatment at our studio AV room and it just put a huge smile on all our faces!

So i made a different speaker mount. See the below pics. Its a stainless steel tube welded, and then a plywood attached to it.
Now the speaker is around 6 to 8inches from the walls, and the sound quality is nice.

That seems a lot of DIY effort.. Ply wood stand & then mounting it to stainless steel tube..

Have you kept the speakers towards the corner since the projected image is large on that wall ?..

hi elangoas.... currently the speaker is 6 to 8 inches away from both walls. It is sounding nice there. Before making the bracket, I checked the position a couple of times. And the projected image is not interfering with the speaker. So Im happy that way too ...Il try to get some pics ...

(by the way...this is off the topic... Taga LCR60SL is in stocks now, but the price is 20k each :eek::eek:)
Last week I lost patience to wait and bought C90SL. May be a compromise in terms of size... but still very happy with it.

hi guys .... this guy kept all his speakers in a cupboard

Do the speakers work well this way at all ???

Ahh if it's a diy platform, then you could try attaching an extension bracket of sorts and suspend the speaker from it into free air. You could use two or three hook up points using fishing ropes used in a fishing chord to have good isolation and also flexibility in directing speakers. Easily available on Amazon or close by decathlon outlet.

MaSh

This is something similar to your idea !!!

hi guys .... this guy kept all his speakers in a cupboard

Do the speakers work well this way at all ???

If he is hearing stuff at loud levels then it will jarr or sound unpleasant....if he is hearing levels conservatively then it will sound close to channel music in a hotel lobby..only a little better

If he is hearing stuff at loud levels then it will jarr or sound unpleasant....if he is hearing levels conservatively then it will sound close to channel music in a hotel lobby..only a little better
Ok ....got it .. but it looks like he spent huge money on these :D:D

My experience in keeping the speakers close to the rear wall is that the stereo separation suffers.
I guess that happens because some of the midrange and high frequencies reflect off the rear wall - and if these reflected waves reach the ears more or less at the same time as original waves produced from the speakers you will experience the "blurring" of stereo.
Keeping the speaker at some distance from rear wall causes the reflected wave to be delayed significantly thus not affecting the phase.

Is my guess right?

Hello,

I have not read the entire thread so excuse me if this is covered.

Something in the heading of the post caught my attention and I had to think hard to understand it.

We all know that in a bass reflex enclosure, the size and shape of the bass port is adjusted such that the out of phase air from the back side of the cone becomes in phase and re-enforces the low end by adding to the front air. This makes sense if the bass port is on the same side of the speaker.

What is the effect of the air coming out of the bass port if it is placed on the back side?
I don't know!

If the air from the bass port bounces on the wall, undergoes phase change and mixes (not sure if it adds or subtracts or anything in between) with the air in the front, will it not lead to erratic results that depends on the distance of the speaker from the wall and material of the wall?

I just hope that the engineers knew what they were doing when they decided to place the port on the back.

Thanks in advance to anyone who would like to share some light on this.

Regards,

Ravindra.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back