What's your listening SPL?

Hari Iyer

Once my mother told me to keep the volume of my speakers to match vocals with standard / normal conversation levels and not too high. I thought about it and tried to implement this wisdom atleast 90% of the time.

Past one month I went a step further and noticed understood that typical speech conversation lies
between 60dB to 70dB. So I downloaded a mobile app (non-calibrated I presume) and tried to measure what my playback SPL were. I tried to match my daughter's speech SPL with my speaker levels manually and measured the average SPL (5 minutes averaged) at which I was listening . Now my average listening is around 70 dB ( considering other typical ambient noise). I noted that at this average SPL I am able to get more natural presentation of music , sound stage and realism. Going higher or lower I feel some what constrained. I am not sure if any FM have done any similar exercise. If yes, then will like to know their listening SPLs..

Where are you measuring from, listening position ?

Listening volume like everything in this hobby has so many variables.

1. Your age
2. Your hearing
3. The type of music you listen to
3. Wife/young son in the room or not
4. At what time of the day you are listening music to
5. Your mood
6. Depends on your system
7. Last but not the least, how much alcohol you have in your system. More the alcohol, better the music sounds even at lower volumes

My average listening volumes too are at an average conversation level.

Once my mother told me to keep the volume of my speakers to match vocals with standard / normal conversation levels and not too high. I thought about it and tried to implement this wisdom atleast 90% of the time.

Past one month I went a step further and noticed understood that typical speech conversation lies
between 60dB to 70dB. So I downloaded a mobile app (non-calibrated I presume) and tried to measure what my playback SPL were. I tried to match my daughter's speech SPL with my speaker levels manually and measured the average SPL (5 minutes averaged) at which I was listening . Now my average listening is around 70 dB ( considering other typical ambient noise). I noted that at this average SPL I am able to get more natural presentation of music , sound stage and realism. Going higher or lower I feel some what constrained. I am not sure if any FM have done any similar exercise. If yes, then will like to know their listening SPLs..
My setup is only for Movies and I frequent catch myself listening around 76-78db (-3db from reference). In Movies somehow I have felt that lowering the listening level for example 65db or lower kills a lot of dynamics. Sounds too dull and boring even if its not an action or thriller flick.

Where are you measuring from, listening position ?

Listening volume like everything in this hobby has so many variables.

1. Your age
2. Your hearing
3. The type of music you listen to
3. Wife/young son in the room or not
4. At what time of the day you are listening music to
5. Your mood
6. Depends on your system
7. Last but not the least, how much alcohol you have in your system. More the alcohol, better the music sounds even at lower volumes

My average listening volumes too are at an average conversation level.
+1 from me. I usually listen loud at night when the whole layout guys are fast asleep. It’s generally when 2 pegs down. When normal its more or less what you all listen to. But yeah! One nice track the volume knob automatically turns up ;)

I just downloaded 3 Sound meter app and found out that almost all my TV listening is done at around 45 -50Db. I was just amazed with it, so, tried 3 diff app and it was almost same across all 3 apps.

I will try to watch a movie and see what are my listening level in that.

Believe it or not, I've never measured, no meters... I pretty much listen at the same volume level every time I listen.
but "too loud for the wife (my SPL meter:))" is generally where I start to back off on the volume.
I guess she is just concerned about my hearing.

For movies Going more SPL bring dynamics in sound stage , We would be able to hear dialogs clearly and effects we can feel + Sub woofer thumb.
For music , its subjective - Raps , modern music high volumes better
Melodies - mild volumes
traditional songs- mild to low volumes

Its also subjective to one's personal preference.

If I had a perfect system ans perfect listening room, I’d keep the volume slightly higher (3-6dB above) average conversational levels. Because when someone sings, their average volume goes up, approximately by that much. Even when you start learning singing, the teacher tells you to sing louder to get a throw. So, if conversation is between 60-70 dB as per your experiment, then I’d keep the listening level at 65-75 dB.

This is usually the level I am able to keep during relatively quieter periods of the day (morning/late afternoon). Late in the night it goes further below (remember even conversation at night is done at lower volumes). But when I want to do background listening, or fall asleep to music (like for a siesta) I go much lower, probably to 55-60 dB.

On top of this however one will modulate based upon the mood, kind of music and so on.

Movies at reference for the most part (105 dB peaks for mains and 115+ dB peaks for sub in theory). I believe that translates to an average SPL of 85 dB for conversational dialogue, if the movie is mixed properly.

Music tends to be much more varied. Really hard to listen at high SPL if it is compressed or the recording itself lacks dynamic range. Much easier to listen at high levels when the dynamic range is higher.

One thing I've learned (and experienced first hand) in the past few years, however, is that measured SPL and perceived SPL can be different. Very different, in fact. The better your room is acoustically, the more you can turn up the volume without it becoming harsh on your ears.

One thing I've learned (and experienced first hand) in the past few years, however, is that measured SPL and perceived SPL can be different. Very different, in fact. The better your room is acoustically, the more you can turn up the volume without it becoming harsh on your ears.
Kind of like a well-riding car on an expressway - you don’t realise the speed is 120 till you see the speedometer.

I listen at what might be called a relative volume of 15 db. The actual level is around 85db. But then Iam deaf below 70db :D
Looks like I am better off with my listening levels compared to many folks out there. I was worried about my level as my wife always tell me lower the volume even at an average of 70 dB levels. I do have a calibrated measurement microphone ( Dayton Audio umm-6) and that can measure SPL levels relatively accurately.

Kind of like a well-riding car on an expressway - you don’t realise the speed is 120 till you see the speedometer.

Right. The car being analogous to the speaker (plus associated electronics) and the expressway to the listening room. Put a capable car on a poor road and it won't get anywhere close to its potential.

Last edited:
Bingo.
Have been meaning to post in this thread for a while, but been too busy to do any music sessions. Until last night!

Wanna Be Startin’ Something - MJ
29490788-7DDF-42DE-8529-E46457B96024.jpeg

I have Bostan Acoustic A360 (41 inchs tall) speakers powered by Marantz MM7025 power amplifier. Distance between the speakers is 7.5 feet and MLP is 13 feet from speakers. My average listening spl is 80db. As I move forward or reduce volume , say 10 feet or 75db , low end becomes weak and overall dynamics reduces. Is my MLP or listening SPL correct or I need to experiment for best possible results....is I am listening little loud ..please help.

I listen between 72 to 78dB with peaks reaching upto 90db, Sound is listenable few dB above 85, at my listening place easily.
I usually Take care of Ears, I avoid anything above 80, as it might be damaging to one's ears in the long run.

For larger rooms with lots of absorbing surface you require more power and for smaller rooms and more reflective surface you require less power.

I have Bostan Acoustic A360 (41 inchs tall) speakers powered by Marantz MM7025 power amplifier. Distance between the speakers is 7.5 feet and MLP is 13 feet from speakers. My average listening spl is 80db. As I move forward or reduce volume , say 10 feet or 75db , low end becomes weak and overall dynamics reduces. Is my MLP or listening SPL correct or I need to experiment for best possible results....is I am listening little loud ..please help.
To enjoy Movies (those surge of sounds momentarily and clear emphatic dialogues) the master volume should be around 75db in my experience otherwise lot of dynamics are lost. Ideally the reference level is 80db from my understanding but given the fact that most of us don't have a dedicated HT Room with proper acoustic treatment, 75db is safe and enjoyable. With 75db you might see the peak SPL reaching about 87-88db

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back