What's your listening SPL?

Looks like I am better off with my listening levels compared to many folks out there. I was worried about my level as my wife always tell me lower the volume even at an average of 70 dB levels. I do have a calibrated measurement microphone ( Dayton Audio umm-6) and that can measure SPL levels relatively accurately.
No matter what, wife would always tell you to lower the volume :))

As interesting arguments put out by the Hi Fi press, a couple of decades ago was:

There is One & Only One "Correct" volume....

As an example.... a solo violin should sound as loud as a solo violin....
Not as loud as 2 violins
Not as soft as half a violin ....

:)

I seem to be an outlier on the lower side. I prefer to listen to music at 55-65dB, at a distance of 10-12 feet from the speakers. This while lounging on a sofa cum bed
My system has a sweet spot at 6 feet where i sometimes sit using a chair. But again at 55-65 dB.

I seem to be an outlier on the lower side. I prefer to listen to music at 55-65dB, at a distance of 10-12 feet from the speakers. This while lounging on a sofa cum bed
My system has a sweet spot at 6 feet where i sometimes sit using a chair. But again at 55-65 dB.
At every doubling of distance you loose around 6 dB SPL. So it can't be same SPL at 6 feet and 12 feet imo so do you adjust your volume when you move closer or away from speakers?

At every doubling of distance you loose around 6 dB SPL. So it can't be same SPL at 6 feet and 12 feet imo so do you adjust your volume when you move closer or away from speakers?
Yes I do adjust the volume. And if my wife is listening with me I need to keep the level more tightly controlled at 55-60dB:rolleyes:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back