• Yeah, I'd get the 990-THX.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Nah.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Stay away from Onkyo HTIB?

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

ma5yk

At under 60k I find no other HTIB or separates coming close to this offering.

Yes, I know it doesn't have any HDMI connectivity and which I find of no use with lack of *any* HD capable media readily available.

What I find attractive is that the THX rating might have achieved a higher level of sound (for HTIB in general) what with an acoustic-suspension design and a 12" sub. :D

Hope to place this in a 15 x 20 room with a cheapo projector.

"Onkyo sux" comments are welcome only if you have anything remotely intelligent to add. sigh.

Cheers.

Poll update: 1 for with 2 against.

I hope the 3 voters take out time to post their comments too.

Cheers.

EDIT: I had to vote (Yes) to see the results next time I visit the page.

Last month when I checked in the Onkyo showroom in Bangalore Sigma Mall, I was informed that this product has been phased out - and their last pieces including the display pieces were pushed out 4 months back...and would not be replenished. Where are you planning to buy this from?

Last month when I checked in the Onkyo showroom in Bangalore Sigma Mall, I was informed that this product has been phased out - and their last pieces including the display pieces were pushed out 4 months back...and would not be replenished. Where are you planning to buy this from?

From a dealer in Ahmedabad. He called Onkyo in front of me and confirmed they are available but failed to mention this was being phased out.:rolleyes:

I think there is a new THX box out that comes with HDMI support amongst other things at a similar MRP abroad as the 990 was when introduced.

Do you know when? and will it be at the same Rs.70k MRP as the 990?

Should be here by this year end or atleast by april 2009 ...but Just taking a guess.Price should also be the same 65-75k.more than that I think its not worth going for Htib's.
Even at this price its quite expensive for a Htib.But the sound, performance & Specs well justifies the price.

Regards,
Samuel

BETTER IS THE HT-S5100:D

How so? It has more features but seems to have skimped a bit on the speakers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I was at the local Onkyo dealer and he demo'ed a 5105 model that had even smaller *plastic built* speakers than the 5100.

Last edited:
Should be here by this year end or atleast by april 2009 ...but Just taking a guess.Price should also be the same 65-75k.more than that I think its not worth going for Htib's.
Even at this price its quite expensive for a Htib.But the sound, performance & Specs well justifies the price.

Regards,
Samuel

I emailed Onkyo India and the gist of their reply is:

"Thank you for your enquiry which we studied in detail.
After evaluating the model HT-S9100THX we, at Onkyo India, have taken the decision of not bringing this model for the present.... For the present model HTS 990THX will continue till Onkyo India finds a suitable model to replace it."

Onkyo April news letter says 9100 THX is going to be introduced in India. Here's the link. new_home

BTW, some of my friends in US who have used the system claims it's the best HTIB ever, with audiophile quality. The only flip side is the bundled speaker wires, which are sort of flimsy.

Onkyo April news letter says 9100 THX is going to be introduced in India. Here's the link. new_home

BTW, some of my friends in US who have used the system claims it's the best HTIB ever, with audiophile quality. The only flip side is the bundled speaker wires, which are sort of flimsy.

Onkyo india (north) have confirmed it will be available at the end of may'09 for Rs 70K. Does anyone know whether this model will matrix 5.1 to 7.1 for 5.1 sources or not.......

Last edited:
Yes, I know it doesn't have any HDMI connectivity and which I find of no use with lack of *any* HD capable media readily available.

Add an upscaling DVDP like Pio-610 and you can view all DVDs in (upscaled, *not real*) HD, if you have a full/-HD-/ready TV. If your future usage includes multiple HD sources like PS3/DVDP/HD-Sat etc., I suggest that you shoudl go for a AVR/HTiB with at least HD switching.

Just checked the price with the Onkyo person at Bangalore, he said the price will be 60K for the 9100..

There are tons of HT-S9100THX reviews out there. whathifi review is the only harsh one I have come across yet. Most of the other reviews hails it as the best sounding HTIB ever.

Home Theater: Onkyo HT-S9100THX Integrated System
Onkyo HT-S9100THX Home Theater System reviews - CNET Reviews
Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S9100THX 7.1 Channel Receiver and Speaker Package: Electronics

My personal beleif is that at Rs 60,000 it's great VFM.

There are tons of HT-S9100THX reviews out there. whathifi review is the only harsh one I have come across yet. Most of the other reviews hails it as the best sounding HTIB ever.

Home Theater: Onkyo HT-S9100THX Integrated System
Onkyo HT-S9100THX Home Theater System reviews - CNET Reviews
Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S9100THX 7.1 Channel Receiver and Speaker Package: Electronics

My personal beleif is that at Rs 60,000 it's great VFM.

I have taken audition of 990 & sounded very bright,sub was not going deep.
spk lack dynamics.

so personally I didnt like that.9100 has better speci & may sound better?

Well its simple that whathifi must have not got paid extra for their review and recommendation so that comment anything they want. One should highly not rely on such experts as they are always hungry for money.

My point is it is THX certified and they whole world is talking abt it so how can it be wrong? Anyways i personally dont find any wrong with 9100 and would be going for it but Onkyo says its not available in India. I personally requested them to ship for me from US but they denied to do so.

It is also sad to see that India is always flooded with outdated and old stocks which are obsolete with a very high price levels surpassing even the latest models at cheaper price.

You get HTs-5100 at the price of HT-s9100 . isnt it a joke in India?

Assume tht 5100 selling cheaper there coz it is old stock now and they personally want to get rid of the old model.

I guess indian distributors do so they can get big margins on their buy .

Well its simple that whathifi must have not got paid extra for their review and recommendation so that comment anything they want. One should highly not rely on such experts as they are always hungry for money.

My point is it is THX certified and they whole world is talking abt it so how can it be wrong? Anyways i personally dont find any wrong with 9100 and would be going for it but Onkyo says its not available in India. I personally requested them to ship for me from US but they denied to do so.

It is also sad to see that India is always flooded with outdated and old stocks which are obsolete with a very high price levels surpassing even the latest models at cheaper price.

You get HTs-5100 at the price of HT-s9100 . isnt it a joke in India?

Assume tht 5100 selling cheaper there coz it is old stock now and they personally want to get rid of the old model.

I guess indian distributors do so they can get big margins on their buy .

Ruzveh: I second Spiro, I have listened to this in US in my friends place and it was not worth it. I dont believe in reviews, I go with what I feel and hear.

One point I want to bring is that just bcos something is THX certified does not mean its the best. What Onkyo has conveniently not mentioned is "THX has certified it based on the performance of the system in a THX certified environment

Lucas does the testing of these products in the best acoustically engineered environment. The difference btw it performing in such environment compared to our home is night and day. This is the main reason Spiro as well as me could not see the Bass going deep nor is there a good freq stage.

I am personally not impressed with this setup, would rather invest in Denon/Yam/Mar with suitable speakers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back