When hearing starts to fail

I loved this film. It's a fantastic debut from the director, Darius Marder.

I would categorize this as a film about silence :)
This is a film about being still, fighting addiction and the importance of doing nothing. A journey of self-reflection and realization. The director uses sound edits to create a muffled/silent audio feed, to mimic what Ruben (Riz Ahmed) hears. Other conversations outside happen in normal mode, which makes the contrast, all the more striking. It's terrifying to inhabit his world, trapped inside his head.
The film is more about the silences in between. Riz Ahmed is able to convey what runs through Ruben's mind, when nothing happens. Riz is excellent here, gives a very fine and subtle performance (Oscars? I hope he gets it). No melodrama. Riz learned American Sign Language (ASL) and spent 6 months learning to play drums and totally transforms into Ruben. Olivia Cooke has a shorter role, is very good.

I loved this film. It's a fantastic debut from the director, Darius Marder.

I would categorize this as a film about silence :)
This is a film about being still, fighting addiction and the importance of doing nothing. A journey of self-reflection and realization. The director uses sound edits to create a muffled/silent audio feed, to mimic what Ruben (Riz Ahmed) hears. Other conversations outside happen in normal mode, which makes the contrast, all the more striking. It's terrifying to inhabit his world, trapped inside his head.
The film is more about the silences in between. Riz Ahmed is able to convey what runs through Ruben's mind, when nothing happens. Riz is excellent here, gives a very fine and subtle performance (Oscars? I hope he gets it). No melodrama. Riz learned American Sign Language (ASL) and spent 6 months learning to play drums and totally transforms into Ruben. Olivia Cooke has a shorter role, is very good.
I don’t have any amplification or additional speakers connected to my TV; was thinking of doing this for this movie.
I think the “quality of silence” deserves this?

I also remembered Beethoven composed a lot of music after his hearing deteriorated leaving him deaf. Wonder if our ears are over rated?

Anyone seen this film about this musician (drummer) whose life changes as his hearing starts to fail.
The movie is said to be sonically unique as the audience hears what the protagonist is hearing ...
Here is a review: https://goodmorningamerica.com/cult...iz-ahmeds-brilliant-performance-ages-75905753
Really difficult to comprehend how Beethoven composed music despite his deafness. It must be such a terrible feeling especially for musicians & singers when they cannot hear their own music/songs.

Really difficult to comprehend how Beethoven composed music despite his deafness. It must be such a terrible feeling especially for musicians & singers when they cannot hear their own music/songs.
This article describes his tinnitus, deafness and music...

I don’t have any amplification or additional speakers connected to my TV; was thinking of doing this for this movie.
I think the “quality of silence” deserves this?
I watched this using headphones plugged into the TV ( I don't have a HT set up). The audio mix creates an impression of us having clogged ears, such that when the 'outside' audio filters in, we feel relieved :). I'm not sure how good normal TV speakers would be in reproducing that effect. Either way, I don't think it will matter much in the overall movie watching experience, as this is just a minor aspect of the film

Wonder if our ears are over rated?
The point of the film (I think) was that hearing isn't indispensable. However terrible the personal crisis be, we just need to accept the situation and be at peace

Started watching, but soon kept wondering about Jason Baker and instead went on to revisit some of his documentaries

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back