Where do i start?

gill_bates

Hi all,
First real post after my introductions. I am taking baby steps towards a hi-fi paradise back home. Here is what i have right now and i plan to add bits and pieces slowly and steadily.

Room - 20' X 16' X 10
Dedicated, now windows. Just one door. So its a perfect dark room. I am in the process of sound proofing it. Just completed the walls. Floor and Roof still pending.

Plan to use the room almost exclusively for movies and and that too only from a projector. I like the panasonic AE4000, heard great things about it.

I have a tiny stereo setup in my rented flat in Singapore, Wharf Sw 150 and 2 year old Denon AVR 7.1 channel 100 W / Channel amp and a couple of mission M33i speakers.

I plan to bring them over to India and start small with a 5.1 setup. Move the mission to the rear and add a pair of floor standers and a center.

I plan to audition some speakers when i come home during vacation. My budget for the floor standers is max 50K. Any recommendations. I shuttle between Chennai and Kerala (where my AV room is)

heh,love the pseudonym.if ur happy with ur missions,why not complete the setup with the matchin centre/surrounds?should be good.cheers

Please do audition the Klipsche Speakers. They have various models and would definatly find something in your budget.

These are now available in India. Reference Series is really nice

I like my mission, but i am little concerned about its ability to envelop a bigger room. I am like the KEF and Klipcsh sounds like an option as well. Thanks.

Hi,

You can audition Tsi Series from POLK AUDIO it suits you budget as well as it serves the purpose of Home theater as well. Even your center speaker comes in the budget.

Cheers;

Hi Gang

Hi Everyone

at the onset let me wish u all a "HAPPY NEW YEAR".

I have recently nvested in new home in Pune and wish to invest in decent HT set up for the same. My room size is 19' x 11.5' x 9.5' with balcony attached to one end of it (16' x 9').

I have already laid conduit for 5.1 HT in hall and stereo in balcony. My HT viewing distance is 9'. I need advise on the following

* Is plasma better than LCD?
* what would be the ideal size for me 42" or 50" (Will this be an overkill?)
* Which is better LG, Panasonic or samsung (Budget around 50K)

* I have auditioned Denon AVR 1910 & 2310 and impressed by them are there any better than them?

* I want front speakers to be floor standers have auditioned wharfdale diamond 9.6 & 10.5, B & W 684, Klipsch 1., QUAD (forgot the model no.) Do suggest if i should audition any other and if possible where either in Mumbai or Pune.

* In speakers it is not necessary for me to buy latest but value for money.

I am open to idea of aquiring second hand good quality speakers also. any sugestions?

Parag

Re: Hi Gang

Hi Everyone

at the onset let me wish u all a "HAPPY NEW YEAR".same to u

I have recently nvested in new home in Pune and wish to invest in decent HT set up for the same. My room size is 19' x 11.5' x 9.5' with balcony attached to one end of it (16' x 9').congrats

I have already laid conduit for 5.1 HT in hall and stereo in balcony. My HT viewing distance is 9'. I need advise on the following

* Is plasma bettter than LCD?Both have come to a stage where both have almost eliminated their demerits to a larger extent--- MOST HIFIVISION members prefer PLASMA, so thats ur best bet, i will suggest u to wait for new 3D enabled PLASMA AND LCD TV'S, will be coming soon to india also

* what would be the ideal size for me 42" or 50" (Will this be an overkill?)
42" would be a good choice, 42" incher's are good VFM now-a-days,u can also find a good deal on a fifty incher also as a bigger screen brings more fun.

* Which is better LG, Panasonic or samsung (Budget around 50K):-Members here prefer mostly PANASONIC as far as i know, rest depends on particular needs

* I have auditioned Denon AVR 1910 & 2310 and impressed by them are there any better than them? Denon AVR 1910 is cheaper ,but as budget is no constraint for you, you should go for the more powerful 2310, more power will do no harm but improve the punch, detail and dynamics , u can also wait for new recievers with 3D/HDMI 1.4 specs,these sure are coming fast

* I want front speakers to be floor standers have auditioned wharfdale diamond 9.6 & 10.5, B & W 684, Klipsch 1., QUAD (forgot the model no.) Do suggest if i should audition any other and if possible where either in Mumbai or Pune.
* In speakers it is not necessary for me to buy latest but value for money. Wharfadales are a good choice for denon AVR's and VFM too.

Parag

Last edited:
Hi,

You can audition Tsi Series from POLK AUDIO it suits you budget as well as it serves the purpose of Home theater as well. Even your center speaker comes in the budget.

Cheers;

I have heard good things at polk audio. sounds like an alternative also..

Hi Bill Gates, oops!, hi Gill Bates,

where do you start - i think, (like me) reading extensively? and following awards at the ces?

regds

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back