Where do you find your blank cassette tapes? (Type IIs and Type IVs)

It is tough to find Type II and Type IV tapes.
They pop up some time in OLX.

I also realised that the biasing is important and it varies across different manufactures.

If you are stock piling blank tapes it is best to settle for one specific brand and series so you don't need to recalibrate the bias for every tape.

Personally I have stopped sealed-tape hoarding as most of them end up being un-usable when opened :)
How does it become unusable? Is it because of some kind of fungus due to moisture. I have moved all of them to plastic boxed with silicagel balls in it.

What i have noticed is that on some brands, especially Sony, the tape becomes dry and starts squeaking when played back especially on Akai decks with GX heads. I have also noticed that the head gets clogged faster with these. Its probably something to do with out climate out here. When it comes to tapes, storage is always the key factor. On another note, this is a place from where once can get high quality type-1 tapes.

I have almost 25 year Sony EF Sealed Blank Tapes. It still works beautifully, no shedding, squeaking etc. And I live in a very humid place. These tapes were kept simply in their box.
Interesting fact is that I also had a couple of boxes of TDK D tapes kept along with the Sony's. While these too do not have any fungus, shedding, squeaking etc, a couple of them had severe drop-out problems at either ends of the tapes.

Another interesting fact is that the TDK tape seems thinner than the Sony. No, I have not measured the thickness, it just feels like it.

In general, cassette tape is a very durable thing having a long shelf life. However, after a long period of unattended storage of cassettes, fungus/dirt buildup happens, which can easily be cleaned by playing the tape multiple times. These fungus/dirt particles also appear on the opposite surface of tape where the head reads. These opposite side fungus/dirt particles deposit over the pressure pad during cassette-play. Cassette squeaking occurs when the tape rubs itself on the dirty pressure pad during play. Cleaning the pressure pad stops cassette squeaking. I have written a thread here to address this issue.

Regarding blank cassettes, I do not use them. But I have bought a few from a local shop to make a "Standard Test Cassette" which is needed for cassette player calibration. It is going to have various test tones and other kinds of stuff recommended by leading manufacturers of the cassette players.

Prices seem high but fair if you look at it from the perspective of availability. Personally I always advise to buy new tapes keeping an eye on the date of manufacture. These may be a little more expensive to procure from abroad but fresh stock gives you longer playing life. Storage is an important factor NoS cassette stock, which is usually not disclosed by the seller (or unknown to the seller).

I have put each cassette in zip lock bags and further stored them in food grade air tight plastic boxes that can hole up to 100 cassettes. Not touched them in more than 6 months. Will open and check condition with playback and report here.

There are a few people in Mumbai having a huge stash of blank tapes. PM if anybody is interested.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back