Where to buy cheap AV racks (Bangalore)

KonfuSed

Hi Guys,
I want to buy a small AV rack to support my AVR, PS3, DVDP, STB and TV. I was planning to get something like this,(pic is just for reference)
AVRackFlat.jpg

But the prices quoted are exorbitant most of the time and I don't see spending that much money of designer piece of wood. Pardon me but would spend that money for some good speakers instead. Anyway, have anyone bought anything like this in Bangalore recently? How much have you paid and from where have you got it?
If I don't get that design then I'm ok with this design also, AVRackTall.jpg
only thing is that I'll have to keep the TV on a different stand in such case.

I just want to buy something which can support my AV equipments and the TV. I'm not so worried about sound getting eaten by the rack as my ears won't be able to distinguish the difference anyway.
So guys(n gals if any) please help me finding out something. BTW, I want to spend 4-5k at max, nothing more.
Regards,
Kaushik

Hi!
Already konfused got an idea from that site only:lol: The image belongs to that for sure..:lol:

Better go for local carpenter it will not go more beyond 5k, but dificult to achieve the desired factory finish..

Their is guy in rajajinagar who does these kind of units, i will try to post his address later on, by the way where do you stay, you can get this done by a local carpenter.

That's a good idea guys and I was thinking on that line too, only issue is the finishing of the product as Srini mentioned. But I'll try to find out someone good. Darn, actually would've liked to build one myself. I really want a simple one. And that site posted by Vinod have one design which exactly was on my mind. This one -> BDI Avion 8927-C - BDI Avion - BDI Furniture - Stand & Deliver
nandakumarhv, do share the contact details if you know a good one. But I stay in south of Bangalore.
Will try to hunt for something soon. Will keep it updated here.

konfused
Making the second rack in the picture for 5k will be a very difficult task. I have tried various carpenters when i was in cochin, But the end result was so pathetic, i have to discard these stands and use as a shoe shelf. Which ever carpenter you keep , you cant bring the factory finish. pay another 5k get branded ones from the dealer.

Hi,

A rack as shown in the second image will cost you some where around 12-15k easily. Even if you get a carpenter to do it and try to get that standard of finish, you may have to shell around the same. A very basic 3 shelf, non-ditatchable rack with 8mm glass shelves is costing around 12-13k, i checked with MusicRanch last time. In one of the thread's Cranky had done a very good speaker stand, but that came at a pretty high cost. So, if you want quality, you need to spend.

I'm also stuck with my AV rack purchase, i.e want the best design and not spend alot on that. I wanted to get this one for my setup, The Icon Series model
ST300 120-B

..:: Welcome to Babbler Group ::..

it costs 39k:sad:

They have some good designs, and their office is in Indranagar. But all stands start from 15k and up.

cheers

Hi,
I got the one made almost identical to the first one in picture for Rs8000 from Looking Good Furnitures on Banaswadi,ORR. The finish is quite good.Please PM me if you are interested and i will get you a contact there for a bargain.

Their is guy in rajajinagar who does these kind of units, i will try to post his address later on, by the way where do you stay, you can get this done by a local carpenter.
Hi Nandakumar, can you please share the address. I already have an AV rack, but would like to get one more done. Here is a pic of my old rack which I am very happy with. But the person who made this for me 5 years ago has closed shop because of old age, so can't approach him:sad:.

DSC07050.jpg

Hi Konfused:

In Bangalore you can contact...

Contact Person: Mr. Murthy of Finesse
Phone Number: 080-25588077

He makes speaker stands and AV racks for Ab. Phase who is a member here.

:)

Last edited:
konfused
pay another 5k get branded ones from the dealer.
10k seems to be the price for that kind of rack, checked with a friend who have it and he also got for 11k around. In such case I'll wait for some more time as my next requirement is a good Sub first.

Hi,

A rack as shown in the second image will cost you some where around 12-15k easily. Even if you get a carpenter to do it and try to get that standard of finish, you may have to shell around the same. A very basic 3 shelf, non-ditatchable rack with 8mm glass shelves is costing around 12-13k, i checked with MusicRanch last time. In one of the thread's Cranky had done a very good speaker stand, but that came at a pretty high cost. So, if you want quality, you need to spend.
Thanks for the info Aneel. Can't spend 39k for sure. That's way way high. Will try to find out some better deal for the 12-13k ones that you've mentioned. The audio shops normal charges much higher than market price. Recently I got two stands for my surround speakers(small speakers) for 450Rs. each and for the same I was quoted 1200rs per piece in a audio shop. Albeit there is a difference in finishing of the product and look with these two places but ultimately both are equal with their work efficiency.

PSJ, will contact the person soon and see if I can get a better deal.
Thanks Vinod for the contact.

Hi santhos1.
I am a great wood enthusiast and i dont like any thing made up of mdf prelaminated or plywood. I go in for solid wood preferably teak/rose wood.
I got my rack (tead wood to match my speakers color) done by my carpentor and he never charged me and i got 12 mm bronze glass toughened and it costed me 3000/= and melamine finish polish wood have costed me 1000/=.
The other racks what i am seing are just mdf prelaminate boards and it should not cost more then 5-6k

You rack seems to be made up of mild steel. Any steel fabricator can do it with powder coating or vapour coating.
Here are the pictures of rack
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/1345-diy-audio-rack-justcad-design-2.html

Last edited:
Hi santhos1.
I am a great wood enthusiast and i dont like any thing made up of mdf prelaminated or plywood. I go in for solid wood preferably teak/rose wood.
I got my rack (tead wood to match my speakers color) done by my carpentor and he never charged me and i got 12 mm bronze glass toughened and it costed me 3000/= and melamine finish polish wood have costed me 1000/=.
The other racks what i am seing are just mdf prelaminate boards and it should not cost more then 5-6k

You rack seems to be made up of mild steel. Any steel fabricator can do it with powder coating or vapour coating.
Here are the pictures of rack
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/1345-diy-audio-rack-justcad-design-2.html
Thanks Nandakumar. Your wooden rack is very nicely made.

A small update, today I went to @home at Marathahalli to see the market reality. Found few nice looking AV racks there. But, the big but is that what I found is the material used seems to be hollow in nature. If I knock on the boards used in the units they sounded hollow. And this has put me off totally. Also the prices are quite high with the minimum at 11.4k and funnily the cheapest one closest to the design I was looking for . But I feel I shouldn't buy these racks as the material used will have some problems sooner or later, may be with durability or may be will start creating their own symphony after some times.

Hey Thanks for the pointer. Will check the place. Had plans to go to Shivaji Nagar and check things there. Had bought some furniture from Shivaji Nagar area before and their pricing is almost half, all depends on bargaining power I guess;)

Last year I was looking out for an AV rack with a budget of around 10K, I did visit Shivajinagar, and many other places(including style spa) and found that most of them dont use plywood(they use either mdf or Burma ply). Finally I decided to go the Carperter way, I downloaded some designs online and gave it to my carpenter and it cost me around 9k for the AV rack, I'm very much satisfied with the build and quality of the final product.

Even I would suggest you try to get it done by a carpenter(using plywood).

img2562i.jpg

img2564z.jpg

Thanks,
Hemanth.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back