Where to buy Hi-Res music from?

Lifespill

Hi

It has really been a futile endeavour trying to find a place to download Hi-Res music from!
HD tracks doesn't work for India
Prostudiomasters doesn't work for India
7digital United doesn't work in India
Quobuz doesn't work in India. ..

Where to download Hi-Res music from then??
All the above mentioned places ask for US or other countries credit card.. None available in India.. Is ordering Vinyl and CD only choice for Indian music lovers??

Not sure if linking your credit card to pay pal would work. So you can use pay pal as your gateway for payment on foreign sites.

For Hi Res Carnatic, Hindustani and Indian folk music Acoustic Potrait have their collection at:
See in the music tab.

HD tracks has a huge collection that’s available for purchase and download

I have bought from both sites.

Hi

It has really been a futile endeavour trying to find a place to download Hi-Res music from!

All the above mentioned places ask for US or other countries credit card.. None available in India.. Is ordering Vinyl and CD only choice for Indian music lovers??
Well that's the dark reality. Physical media is on its last leg. I would suggest you explore one of the streaming services that will get you all the music you need and at decent qualities too. No more hunting, downloading, etc.

MaSh

I like Prestomusic.com for classical music.

And I do recall buying from HDTracks in the past - have they changed their requirements or something?

Hi

Try Apple Music

I like Prestomusic.com for classical music.

And I do recall buying from HDTracks in the past - have they changed their requirements or something?

Yes I tried with made up Zip code and it worked! Downloaded few hi res albums.

For Hi Res Carnatic, Hindustani and Indian folk music Acoustic Potrait have their collection at:
See in the music tab.

HD tracks has a huge collection that’s available for purchase and download

I have bought from both sites.
Thanks for the suggestions. HD tracks working with US zip code and Indian credit card.
Tried the same with Quobuz and it didn't work..

Thanks for suggestion.. I was trying to download and explore 384 and above kbit rate and also DSD. I don't know how much more refinement and reality such high resolution can bring.. wanted to test and taste
Great that you are curious...

I have been collecting Rips for years and today I own (in addition to CD Rips):
  • Approx 1 TB of Hi Res (24 bit) albums ... approx 830 Hi Res Music Albums.

• Approx 1 TB of DSD (mostly SACD Rips).... approx 454 albums.

I have several Rock Classic Albums (eg Fleetwood Mac & Dire Straits) in multiple formats : 16/44 wav, 24/96, 24/192 & SACD (DSD 64). Allows me to compare different formats ... theoretically, though I do suspect that many SACDs are a different mastering altogether......

On my set up, and to my ears:

(PCM) Hi Res Music sounds more Abrupt - Stop & Go, More Etched, More Staccato, more "Forward - In Your Face"..... some may probably call it more PRAT. These characteristics seem to increase as you go into higher Res eg from 24/96 to 24/192.

A bit of an unexplained surprise for me.... DVD-A files are 24/96 but sound distinctly superior to HiRes 24-96 files, even those from HD Tracks (some allege that even HD Tracks has some fake up-sampled "Hi-Res" files). infact DVD-A rips are my Best sounding PCM HiRes files

SACD (DSD 64) is completely different ... In many ways the complete opposite of PCM Hi Res.... Smooth, Relaxed & Laid back, with a lot of detail despite the laid back presentation.

While both Hi Res & SACDs enthralled me for a while.... today, I feel that a well ripped 16/44 wav file offers the best balance of HiRes, SACD & CD (16/44) formats, and its my Go-To for serious listening.

Ofcourse ... YMMV ;)

Thanks for suggestion.. I was trying to download and explore 384 and above kbit rate and also DSD. I don't know how much more refinement and reality such high resolution can bring.. wanted to test and taste

I can’t reliably hear a difference between CD audio and high-res (and I have a bunch of files that are 24/96, 24/192 and even 32/384).

All the higher res files do is take up more space in my hard drive. That said, I still buy 24/96 where I can, cos I am a member of the Audiofool Nervosa species. :)

There is also the matter than most DACs have a noise floor that cannot resolve more than 20-21 bits (even if your ears can resolve that difference).

Been there done that ✅ are u kidding me
Now that apple music lossless is here in India for just rs 100/month (individual) or rs 150/month (family plan 6 members).

As @IndianEars also observed correctly, many of the FLACs available for d'loads turn out to be bogus/fake as they're simply upmix. Some rare ones are actually good too. but then u hv limitations of the good sounding collection etc. It's not worth the hassle to work around non-india memberships considering the costs. It's pretty much the same. Even apple music is 24/192 bit.

Been using apple music lossless via airplay and it sounds amazing.

Anyone gonna try apple music subscription keep in mind:

Via - airplay (wireless stream) 24/48 khz
Via - lightening to USB cable (if u hv usb dac in chain) 24/192 khz

Everyone whose systems support airplay & hv apple devices are up for fun! The One thing apple got right finally ▶️👍🏼

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back