Where to buy new cassettes?

holesinhead

Can anyone suggest places in Bangalore where I can buy blank tapes?

I've gotten back to tapes after 15 years and love how they sound. I also figured that I was missing on a lot of tech advances during my college years as I could not afford the high end tape decks. I now have a circa 1983 Kenwood KX 2060 tape deck that has rec and bias calibration. This allows you to customise the recording for every tape lot and I'm amazed at the results.

Sanjay

You'd find Sony and Maxell blanks in the Indian market. The Maxells are from Indonesia. You've got to look carefully though. I have bought TDKs, Sonys and Maxells in the local market at times (when they pop up), found TDKs to be the best, followed by Sony and then Maxell. Chennai is a good place to look but I have done most of my purchases from Trivandrum. I did not know that these were available in Trivandrum but when one of our fellow FMs from Trivandrum attempted to sell some blanks to me, I suspected that he would have bought these locally. I immediately engaged my local contacts and got the same ones at a lesser price.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will look out for TDK tapes. How much does a 90 min tape cost these days? Have you come across any Type II or Type IV tapes?

Have seen blank tapes for sale in Temptations (CMH Road Indira Nagar) and Maruti Audio (Ulsoor Road, After Lido Mall Just before ulsoor police station).

You'd find Sony and Maxell blanks in the Indian market. The Maxells are from Indonesia. You've got to look carefully though. I have bought TDKs, Sonys and Maxells in the local market at times (when they pop up), found TDKs to be the best, followed by Sony and then Maxell. Chennai is a good place to look but I have done most of my purchases from Trivandrum. I did not know that these were available in Trivandrum but when one of our fellow FMs from Trivandrum attempted to sell some blanks to me, I suspected that he would have bought these locally. I immediately engaged my local contacts and got the same ones at a lesser price.

I am one of those local FM who attempted to sell you (and few others) blank tapes some time ago. I remember you asking me to bring some to your home and I was about to. Then, a guy from outer Trivandrum came to my home after seeing my sale ad online and bought the whole lot. The sale went smoothly.

I gave him 25 sealed Philips tape head cleaning cassettes and a few bottles of head cleaning fluid for free. IIRC, that's why I couldn't bring those few blanks to your home. I bought majority of my blanks from northern Kerala and recently some, courtesy of my friend from UK (gift).

I think I had mentioned that on one of my PM to you. I wished to sell it for a profit. Duty paid shop in TVM sold the 90 min Sony tapes for Rs.70 and 60 for bulk buy (cartons). Also saw few old sealed blanks in a local shop which I suspect were fake (TDK)

I am one of those local FM who attempted to sell you (and few others) blank tapes some time ago. I remember you asking me to bring some to your home and I was about to. Then, a guy from outer Trivandrum came to my home after seeing my sale ad online and bought the whole lot. The sale went smoothly.

I gave him 25 sealed Philips tape head cleaning cassettes and a few bottles of head cleaning fluid for free. IIRC, that's why I couldn't bring those few blanks to your home. I bought majority of my blanks from northern Kerala and recently some, courtesy of my friend from UK (gift).

I think I had mentioned that on one of my PM to you. I wished to sell it for a profit. Duty paid shop in TVM sold the 90 min Sony tapes for Rs.70 and 60 for bulk buy (cartons). Also saw few old sealed blanks in a local shop which I suspect were fake (TDK)

Thanks a purchase is a purchase, the lower the price, always the better. And yes, what I have bought are definitely not fakes. Having been in the business for over 35 years, I can definitely tell a fake. These are manufactured in China and Indonesia (I have got a few from ebay USA of the same make and manufacture and the quality and performance is idenfical). I never visit duty paid shops as they are generally havens for cheaters. :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
The prices are generally Rs.30 for 60 minutes and Rs.40 for 90 minutes. I have come across Type II ones.

I forgot to mention, the prices will come down marginally if you buy a carton of 10 tapes. Although I have seen Type IIs at a different vendor, the ones that I normally buy are Type 1s and not Type IIs.

The last time when Mr. Kuruvila was at my place, I gave him a sealed Maxell UE 60 If he has used it, it would be nice if he could review it for us.

Maxell%20UE%2060%201998-2000%20EUR.jpg

And yes, what I have bought are definitely not fakes. Having been in the business for over 35 years, I can definitely tell a fake.

Good for you:thumbsup:. All I meant to say was there are fakes and nothing more.

I never visit duty paid shops as they are generally havens for cheaters.
True that.

Btw, I have compared Sony, Maxell and TDK. Maxell UE is an average cassette.

Going through the posts and prices I am a bit surprised that is it still possible in India to get TDK.Maxell blank Type 1 Cassettes at 30/-,40/-!!!

Recently a friend of mine bought from Ebay USA a box of 10 TDK MA60 Metal cassettes (pic enclosed) each costing him around 650/- including shipping.

So am a bit confused now!!

Attachments

• tdk.jpg
    tdk.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
If you look carefully, your local electronics store may stock some

You'll find Maxells in a box like this:

mXhz2HxPo3ah1uR0PNkjnHQ.jpg

Last edited:
You still use cassettes in your car?..cool.. Can I have the brand name or model? I like car cassette tape stereos :)

Its the Kenwood KRC 489 player which came with my Esteem from the factory. It was considedred to be state of the art in its day with auto reverse, auto search and repeat, etc.

I also have a transmitter with a pen drive attached, for digital music.

Here's a stock picture. Mine has a blue back-light and Maruti printed on the window flap.
66816890_53fe9340991a2.jpg

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back