Where to get shielded 3 core power cables

Yesterday did two cables using the polycab. Few important things.

1. These cables are thicker than usual due to the extra pvc coating between the shield and the 3 cores.
2. These are impossible to go through normal 3 pin indian sockets. So one has to remove the outer pvc sheath and the tinned copper braid. Then only then you can slide it through the plastic collar and collor sleeve of an anchor 3 pin plug. This means you can't bring the shield inside the plug. So I soldered a single strand of cat6 twisted pair outside the plug on the shield. and brought it inside the plug through a 1mm cut that I made in the plug. Slipped a heat shrink tube to hide the extra solder job done outside the plug.
3. The other end was connected to an IEC socket. This was much easier than the plug because you don't have to connect the shield. As per some voodoo sauce propagated by firms like PS audio who also sell cables, the shield should be connected only at the plug end.

cable5.jpg

Here you can see a single strand of cat6 cable soldered to the braid and connected to the earth pin lug.
cable2.jpg
At the IEC End

cable3.jpg

IMG_20220219_103540.jpeg

He doesn’t explain why only one side has to be connected to the shielding. Any guesses? In any case, it’s cringe listening to him.
One guess is that these shields act like antenna (as if the other cables, phase, neutral and earth don't). So connecting the shield on the body of the amp will induce RF inside the AMP :):p.

PS audio also makes money by selling these cables. it is beneficial to them propagating such audio myths

PS audio also makes money by selling these cables. it is beneficial to them propagating such audio myths

I just had a quick look. Their AC12 Power Cable costs $999. I’m guessing making it $1000 would have put the cable out of reach of many. How considerate of them!

He doesn’t explain why only one side has to be connected to the shielding. Any guesses? In any case, it’s cringe listening to him.
Why and how will it affect power cables?

I read that this is only an experiment in analog ICs. Something about ground loops and all.
Where the shield is terminated at source and left open at destination or something like that.
In my rig it does not make any difference whether I terminate symmetrically or asymmetrically on analog ICs.
Or when I reverse the cable direction of asymmetrically terminated cables.

Cheers,
Raghu

Why and how will it affect power cables?
Exactly

I read that this is only an experiment in analog ICs. Something about ground loops and all.
Where the shield is terminated at source and left open at destination or something like that.
In my rig it does not make any difference whether I terminate symmetrically or asymmetrically on analog ICs.
Or when I reverse the cable direction of asymmetrically terminated cables.
I have got the same results with interconnects. Now the same result with power cables that it makes no difference. ALso the shielding has not made any difference. I guess because the interconnects are already far away from the cables. But I'm glad I tried this. I have been able to make my own length and hence able to route them better from the source to the destination.

Two divergent views whether shielded power cables work. One view is from an Amplifier guy and the other view is from a guy whose livelyhood depends on selling cables.

Read this for fun

According to cable guy :eek::eek::D:D

1. Triboelectric charge can cause noise (tribolectric charge is developed for example when you rub comb on your hair). Triboelectric charge can be a concern only when the cable is being flexed continuously (example in a machinery).
2. Cables consists of multiple strands of copper conductor. Noise can jump from one strand to another.
3. And the usual voodoo effect of copper oxide.

Last edited:
what diameter, length and how many cores. Does this have copper braid?
LAPP OLFLEX CLASSIC CY:
Conductor: 10mm OD – 2.5mm² x 3 cores (6N purity 99.99%)
2 layers EMI/RF shielding with vibration-absorbing structure
You can get more details on their site.

Just buy a decent quality coaxial tv cable and use the outer braided shield for each power cable L-N-E and you will get a high quality shielded power cable.

Last edited:
Just buy a decent quality coaxial tv cable and use the outer braided shield for each power cable L-N-E and you will get a high quality shielded power cable.
Can you please explain the construction of this cable in some more detail? Do you mean one strips off the braid and inserts the 3 individual conductors through the stripped braid, thus making a shielded cable?

yes, either you can use the braid from the coaxial cable (can be easily removed) or the solder wick (for smaller wires) and insert individual wire through each stripped braid and solder all 3 braids (L-N-E) at the end. A flexible hose (optional) along with a pet sleeve to cover the whole cable for physical protection is enough to make a good quality power cable

yes, either you can use the braid from the coaxial cable (can be easily removed) or the solder wick (for smaller wires) and insert individual wire through each stripped braid and solder all 3 braids (L-N-E) at the end. A flexible hose (optional) along with a pet sleeve to cover the whole cable for physical protection is enough to make a good quality power cable
Ah! 3 braids, one for shielding each conductor.

One can push two (L-N) through the braid and use the braid itself for the earth. Will the shielding be inadequate in such a case?
The idea of using the braid from the coaxial cable is a good one.

One can push two (L-N) through the braid and use the braid itself for the earth. Will the shielding be inadequate in such a case?
The idea of using the braid from the coaxial cable is a good one.
You can use that way too if the braid has enough gap however don't untangle the braid much (tighter braid cover is always better), but I prefer separate braid shields for each wire and once all 3 are combined, it will become a single shield as they touch each other. Make sure that you get a decent quality coax with copper braid as there are cables with copper coating on aluminum strands.

Another option is to use copper solder wick.

Last edited:
Anyone tried Making Power Cables with Shielded Solid Core Cu cables with thicker gauges like 1mm2,
I'm unable to find shielded solid core copper cables. Any links to sources shielded solid core copper cables?

I plan to use 2 cables per Phase and Neutral and 1 for Ground, and Braid them. Anyone has any experiences?

Anyone tried Making Power Cables with Shielded Solid Core Cu cables with thicker gauges like 1mm2,
I'm unable to find shielded solid core copper cables. Any links to sources shielded solid core copper cables?

Any reason why you want solid core? Will these be enclosed inside some conduit? I haven't seen solid core which is not CCS (copper clad steel). Even most of the RG6 cables used for cable tv are CCS and single core. But if not solid core, you have plenty of options in polycab and they can be obtained from vashiisl.com.
I plan to use 2 cables per Phase and Neutral and 1 for Ground, and Braid them. Anyone has any experiences?
You can try the method suggested by @cmsajith. Get unshielded 2 core cable, slip the braid from the coaxial cable and finally dress the whole cable with expandable nylon sleeves that are easily available. Maybe other FM having experience will reply, but I haven't come across any DIY builds.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back