Where to get shielded 3 core power cables

One cannot buy almost anything on the lapp site without a GSTIN number. So finally went ahead and placed order with vashiisl (suggested by @k-pad ).

Order summary​

xDJI4btiTQEF0EcKSEgOiPc1hd7t4ZZdPI6hg3pGrlOieO9_yTQXiwPqRe3Dy1AJI-XJBROguGIXsrtfY8fNGy6GllUkIfKwm1SbVGC16XxZkBfLe1TLligHcxtMNC3f7CzEZJfCu-XEv4z0Wxt1Jg7l0uZr=s0-d-e1-ft
Finolex 2.5 SQMM X 3 CORE 2XWY COPPER XLPE INSU. ARMOURED CABLE 1.1 KV AS PER IS 7098(PART 1) 1988 × 2
Rs. 244.20​
jmZdHtbwvTMiH-WAQ9KD0ocmVotWjW583i1u0NzxFdZJzbO_g6vBzTPyNR0UAiev432sHLhWX2G5hFsYIexI-HmKu8aBISkvvbWkRqzqI9cXr0awsv4Gtzpeyr6tqyzvWNjpukzVvh2PPE6KSbCAwwesavfMg4eIt-2wW8P9NEjXLSH2V7D509V0fKdndbusQvE3V2shOHBF8NVwqcvxhepMDezFub-y5i8xdYoy=s0-d-e1-ft
Polycab 1.5 Sqmm, 3 core Overall Tinned Cu Braided Pvc Sheathed Flexible Unarmoured Cables × 10
Rs. 921.00​
Discount
tF3A35d40q_Y5EpPGJL_QKFDipFKdJESTGPMKW0UixEd2HyzFCEU7m9yGs4gepz1PLl44XYlk5NwbpnyVtO4-ZPlLF2kbJlwrSKW52GjgHoxrVhNCiVdWidEPc-6H2zQYcrLyerbgn4g4Xh-q32lBks78x39umGzm6pOcPgPOejqXCur-o2miBNJsgoBKLwqKZ_5-qZ-N97G771Zj7jNcddCicVd_xEaZo8TSOrgAH8kEfpPow=s0-d-e1-ft
VCARE
-Rs. 0.00
Subtotal
Rs. 1,165.20
Shipping
Rs. 0.00
Taxes
Rs. 209.74
Total
Rs. 1,374.94
@raghupb bhai's tip sir. :)
But I have since asked around about the company with some local folk, and they all had only good things to say.
Do drop a line when you have had a chance to experience them.
Regards

One cannot buy almost anything on the lapp site without a GSTIN number. So finally went ahead and placed order with vashiisl (suggested by @k-pad ).

Order summary​

xDJI4btiTQEF0EcKSEgOiPc1hd7t4ZZdPI6hg3pGrlOieO9_yTQXiwPqRe3Dy1AJI-XJBROguGIXsrtfY8fNGy6GllUkIfKwm1SbVGC16XxZkBfLe1TLligHcxtMNC3f7CzEZJfCu-XEv4z0Wxt1Jg7l0uZr=s0-d-e1-ft
Finolex 2.5 SQMM X 3 CORE 2XWY COPPER XLPE INSU. ARMOURED CABLE 1.1 KV AS PER IS 7098(PART 1) 1988 × 2
Rs. 244.20​
Armoured cable for a power cord? This should be interesting. :p

Just few hour back I made this cable with so called audiophile (but unshielded) cable.Used Schucko plug and iec socket. Net damage Rs 3221. Made no difference. But the cable looks beautiful. Now waiting for the shielded cables to arrive from vashi isl

cable1.jpg
IMG_20220215_193454626.jpeg

Just few hour back I made this cable with so called audiophile (but unshielded) cable.Used Schucko plug and iec socket. Net damage Rs 3221. Made no difference. But the cable looks beautiful. Now waiting for the shielded cables to arrive from vashi isl

I too have the same cable, but not able to use it now as it is too thick to fit most places.
It doesn't bend properly and the plug is unusual to fit most boards.

Happy to sell it :D

I too have the same cable, but not able to use it now as it is too thick to fit most places.
It doesn't bend properly and the plug is unusual to fit most boards.

Happy to sell it :D
Sell it. I too will after all "My Experiment with Cables" are over. The polycab cables from vashi isl will be definitely better VFM. Just waiting for them to ship it. The schucko plugs are however well engineered and of good quality.

Looks good. It seems to have braiding over the PVC.
Hopefully it is supple enough to work with.
Cheers,
Raghu
It has an outer braiding and also one inner braiding of cotton. The cable is well made and the cost reflects that.

Of course it won't make a difference. That's because the copper is of low quality - you needed to use silver coated copper wire, see?
And I'm sure the dielectric is something pedestrian like PVC - PVC has "memory" and behaves like a capacitor, see? You needed to use Teflon!
And most importantly you've aligned the cable the wrong way around. The electrons flow/vibrate in the direction the wire is unrolled from the spool, see? :p

@amrutmhatre90, @k-pad, @AKT I got both the cables today.

The armoured cable is a disaster. The armour is actually steel wires running across the length of the cable. It is not a continuous shield. There are gaps between the steel wires. But it is just Rs 244 down the drain. They are so stiff that I will be able to use them as a walking stick when I get old.

The polycab cables are good. It requires effort to remove two sheaths of pvc coating and untangle the braid. It took me around 5 mins to do this.
Also I was able to solder on the braid. The braid is tinned copper.

polycab.jpg

Here is the picture of the finolex armoured cable. Please don't buy this, unless you want to use this as a weapon of defense or as a walking stick:D.

I had to use a hacksaw to unsheath one end of the armoured cable.
finolex1.jpg
finolex2.jpg

EDIT: Just got an idea. Using two of the steel wires, I can pull those to cut through the outer pvc sheat and completely remove the 3 cores inside. I can just buy a pvc sheath and make a new cable.

Last edited:

The armoured cable is a disaster. The armour is actually steel wires running across the length of the cable. It is not a continuous shield. There are gaps between the steel wires. But it is just Rs 244 down the drain. They are so stiff that I will be able to use them as a walking stick when I get old.

The polycab cables are good. It requires effort to remove two sheaths of pvc coating and untangle the braid. It took me around 5 mins to do this.

View attachment 67365

Here is the picture of the finolex armoured cable. Please don't buy this, unless you want to use this as a weapon of defense or as a walking stick:D.

View attachment 67366
View attachment 67367
The Finolex looks like submersible cable!

@mbhangui
Well ...
Didn't want to discourage your from experimenting when you stated armored cable :D
These are used in outdoor installations or hostile environments where a conduit is not possible.
Good luck with the PolyCab wire

@arunkvivek
Submersible cables are usually flat and quite flexible. Normally they are copper clad aluminum.

Cheers,
Raghu

@mbhangui
Well ...
Didn't want to discourage your from experimenting when you stated armored cable :D
These are used in outdoor installations or hostile environments where a conduit is not possible.

That is EXACTLY why I commented previously that it would be "interesting" :p
BUT, the PVC sheath is ripped off quite easily once a cut is made at the ends and the inner wires are generally of good quality. They can be twisted/braided and used, so all is not lost.

View attachment 67365

View attachment 67366
View attachment 67367

EDIT: Just got an idea. Using two of the steel wires, I can pull those to cut through the outer pvc sheat and completely remove the 3 cores inside. I can just buy a pvc sheath and make a new cable.
Haha! The armoured cables look monstrous sir!

Glad the polycabs are fine. And good to hear the braid is tinned too...
All the best

No worries, Manavendra. As mentioned by you, for 244/-, many of us (def incl. me) learnt why armoured cables are not a viable option. Thank you.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back