Where to stay in Gangtok?

daaru, apart from danny denzongpa's danzberg beer there is the local millet beer or chhang, which is really good, a bit like sake....not very potent.

OH and if you're flying through Bagdogra, do go the airport restaurant and try out their chicken cutlets, they're excellent. Wash it down with some dansberg that they serve in the restaurant :)

once again, i can't recommend Netuk House enough, it's a very very special place! there are a few excellent eating places in gangtok, but I seem to have forgotten their names. The pork momos at Hotel Tibet are superb.

daaru, apart from danny denzongpa's danzberg beer there is the local millet beer or chhang, which is really good, a bit like sake....not very potent.

OH and if you're flying through Bagdogra, do go the airport restaurant and try out their chicken cutlets, they're excellent. Wash it down with some dansberg that they serve in the restaurant :)

once again, i can't recommend Netuk House enough, it's a very very special place! there are a few excellent eating places in gangtok, but I seem to have forgotten their names. The pork momos at Hotel Tibet are superb.

Is dansberg available in Bangalore and rest of India? I want a taste of Sikkim this weekend :)

Cheers

Already in Calcutta .... :yahoo:.

D Day tomorrow. Only hope it is mild out there in Gangtok, since the route gets affected by rains..... is drizzling in Calcutta, though, not that hard.

If you happen to go to Pelling then don't miss the drive to the village of Yuksom.It is incredibly beautiful.Never seen such greenery or so many waterfalls in one day.Missed out on Yumthang (North Sikkim) because an inner line permit was needed.Well,there's always a next time.....
Depending on how much time you have I would suggest spending the LEAST possible time in Gangtok (the day you arrive+1 day for Nathu-La/Changu Lake is enough).After that you could head out for Pelling.And if you can manage Yumthang also then you would have really seen a bit of Sikkim.Identity proof for all members would be required for getting inner line permits for Nathu-La/Yumthang.Your hotel/travel agent/taxi operator would be able to arrange inner line permits within 24/48 hours.Get someone to do that immediately after checking into a hotel.For Pelling we did not need a permit.
Wonderful Tibetan food at Hotel Tibet in Gangtok....

Last edited:
BACK from Gangtok..........

Let me point out first...... it is not a very comfy trip, even though I chose the air route out from Kolkata. The flight was 2 hours delayed .... landed in Bagdogra at 3 PM .... took a prepaid taxi (Rs.1700) to Gangtok. Route was blocked for 1 hour due to an accident between two trucks .... eventually reached Gangtok @ 10 PM ...:mad:

The place ... Gangtok ... retires by 9.30 PM :mad::mad:... so had to hitch hike from the taxi stand to the place booked. Somehow, was not comfortable with the location ... Hotel Delamere (booked by our Gangtok based member ... Rijuc) it was a bit away from the market place ... but still a great place to stay for 'quiet-seekers'. My wifey needs a lotta hulla-gulla ... so, walked the stretch in the 'dead' of the night to M.G Marg and checked in to a small place (Damo Residency) in the heart of the market area. Chose a 'room with a view' .... the Kanchanjunga range.

The idea was NOT to move out of Gangtok, as time was too short ... less than 3 days stay. Maybe, next time for Pelling, Yumg Thang valley, Nathu La etc etc.

ATE..and ate and ate ... Tibetan... Mexican (at Anum Pedro) AND my wifey ripped ma pockets out the moolah for junk jewellery ... and of course, Gangtok has a good collection of my type of intrumentals / soft rock / pop discs. The place is full of exquisite liquor bars .... very low cost, maybe, the cheapest in India. So, had my fill.

Not to forget, M.G Marg is always teeming with 'wooooow' luking babes :licklips:. Lovely skin, hair quality, smartly dressed and what not. Pity, wifey was with me to give elongated stares and ogles. Bet, them beauties miss out on the attention that we from the plains would have imparted them had we been fortunate enough to have such bounty.....

Had a nice sedate outing with Rijuc and his better half one evening, over drinks and dinner. Thanks Rijuc for your company.

Last edited:
BOSE speakers ..... at least 20-25 odd pairs set up on the electric poles at M.G Marg, Gangtok. It churns out a range of soft titilating music throughout the day. These are all-weather outdoor speakers and the SQ is fantastic.

Other tourist-infested places should take efforts to replicate the same .... I was informed that this entire thing cost the Gangtok municipality @ Rs. 20 odd lacs.... worth it.

Last edited:
Gangtok Zoological Park .....

Snow Leopard
Red Panda ..... could only get the back side :sad:

Last edited:
Gangtok Zoological Park .....

Snow Leopard
Red Panda ..... could only get the back side :sad:

Whats that red fur cap lying on the rock? Can you bring it with you for me when you come back ? I lost my cap in Gangtok when I went there last ... :) (Remember to give that leopard a good scratch behind the ears on your way out - when you fetch my cap ... :D)

Nice to hear and see how you are enjoying the trip :)

Cheers

Last edited:
sure was a great evening... while we were talking about SQ, LFE, burn in, mid range and the ladies were gripping harder on the fork!! but we did have a great time...

It churns out a range of soft titilating music throughout the day.

M.G Marg is always teeming with 'wooooow' luking babes . Lovely skin, hair quality, smartly dressed and what not.

"Titillating" music and babes with "what not" is what I really dig. Am heading for Gangtok :eek:hyeah:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back